U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:56 PM

6 posts, read 8,143 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Been lurking on the alaska forums here for a while (6 months?) now and we're finally getting our butts up to Anchorage (yay-- even if it is only for a brief visit). Now, I've never been up to the great land, and the wife has only been to Fairbanks before, so we're both Anchorage newbies. Any advice on things we "must do or see" in our brief visit would be greatly appreciated. We'll be there Sept 20-25 and plan on being back again for a visit in February if all goes to plan, likely around the iditarod start. If we make a 3rd trip it'll be to resettle.

Basically we want to try and get a feel for the city and also scout various neighborhoods outside the city (Chugiak,Eagle River, south anchorage) and get a 'feel' for the area as far as where to buy a house and settle in etc. We may make a trip down to the peninsula to check it out down there too. Basically every minute that we are there we'll both be thinking "is this where we want to put down some roots". I've read all the neighborhood advice on the forum here, so thanks go to all those that have posted that stuff -- man its great info! Can't wait to get my boots on the ground in the area and start to get a feel for the area.

Any advice from folks living in and around anchorage on how to get a good feel for things in waaay to short of a time?

Lastly, we'll be bringing up our 9 month old baby, so any long outdoors events are out.

Last edited by wayupnorth; 08-11-2009 at 10:05 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 04:07 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,096,424 times
I'd choose to live in South Anchorage (Rabbit Creek area) or Eagle River.

Visit... Seward, Exit Glacier, Hatchers Pass, Matanuska Glacier

Old 08-12-2009, 08:50 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,278,951 times
We are living across the street from Jewel Lake on Dimond Blvd. I like it. It's quite and away from the drunks that hang around downtown.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
I'd choose to live in South Anchorage (Rabbit Creek area) or Eagle River.

Visit... Seward, Exit Glacier, Hatchers Pass, Matanuska Glacier
Excellent, we were thinkin of driving down to seward, will do!

Saw some properties listed in rabbit creek area, seems nice, also some down in 'bear valley' though i think the winds may get bad down in bear valley?

Old 08-12-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
We are living across the street from Jewel Lake on Dimond Blvd. I like it. It's quite and away from the drunks that hang around downtown.
Nice to be away from all that, we got kids and such, no need to be close to the 'nightlife' for us.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:03 PM

3,774 posts, read 10,493,600 times
Stiffy, you live about a mile away from me! Wow. and stuff. We'll have to shoot a game of pool at the Jewel Lake Bowl some Saturday night.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:04 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,146,415 times
Way up north.......I would plan a experimental-grocery shopping trip so you can see on a day to day basis what things would cost. Look for places of interest that you think you'll need.........like "hmmm, where would I workout?" or "where would we find a daycare?" . I was actually surprised that there are more services available here than back in our old town.
Much luck and enjoy!
Dawn

Old 08-13-2009, 12:13 PM

7,305 posts, read 13,278,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
Stiffy, you live about a mile away from me! Wow. and stuff. We'll have to shoot a game of pool at the Jewel Lake Bowl some Saturday night.
Sounds good. I'm still trying to get over the culture shock. So many new stores, so much more traffic. I tried to drive out to my daughters house in Eagle River yesterday and I got caught in the evening commuter rush at 5:30. Where did all these cars come from?

Old 08-13-2009, 07:41 PM

11,838 posts, read 26,737,835 times
I found a GPS unit helpful in navigating around town.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:09 PM

3,774 posts, read 10,493,600 times
Population in Anchorage has gone up almost 60000 in a decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage