Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 4,504 times

Advertisements

So i'm sure this thread has been posted many times, but I'm looking for some insight. My husband, myself and our daugher are looking to move up to the Anchorage area. My husband moved down here when he was a small boy, and has decided it's time to go back so we can raise our kids where he was raised. I on the other hand was born and raised in Michigan, but have never been to Alaska!

My husband guages barges here in the gulf right now, are there jobs that revolve around working on and maintaining boats/barges? What type of jobs are most common in the area? Also, we aren't interested in bars/night life, etc. What parts of town are the best to live in to raise a family with small children? I have heard that most use fuel to heat homes, would anyone be willing to give me and idea of what normal bills for a 2 or 3 bedroom home run? How are gas prices up there? When people say Anchorage is an expensive place to live, are they speaking of home buying? groceries? cost of bills? entertainment?

I'm looking for any information that may be helpful to adjusting to learning to live in Anchorage. Thank you for anything ya'll would be willing to share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 03:51 PM

51 posts, read 147,789 times
Don't do it! Moving here is tough. It is so expensive compared to Texas. You will not get anywhere near the home for the money and everything costs more. Six full months of winter -snow on the ground and temps below 32F. Two sets of tires and paying for change over twice each season. Isolation is awful. Airfares are ridiculous and we are at the mercy of one airline. If your husband hasn't lived here for years he may even find it not so quaint as he thinks. We have crime, homeless people, huge suicide rate and drunks! I would go to Texas in a heartbeat if it weren't for a bad economy right now.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:51 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
The only part of Texas I liked was on I-40 heading west out of Amarillo. The sign ahead said "Leaving Texas". Once I crossed that I felt extreme relief.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:25 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,239,745 times
Where is Michigan are you from?
Depending on where, the cost of things could be about the same, some less, some more, but that depends on the area you're from.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:18 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
The only part of Texas I liked was on I-40 heading west out of Amarillo. The sign ahead said "Leaving Texas". Once I crossed that I felt extreme relief.
I'm sorry to hear that. I always feel that way as I cross back into Texas. It's home and I love it.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:24 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm sorry to hear that. I always feel that way as I cross back into Texas. It's home and I love it.
Plus TX is flippin huge...was just in El Paso last week visiting the kids!

Old 08-25-2009, 04:02 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Lots of folks in the energy industry get the Houston to Anchorage "choice". Id be interested in hearing more too...

Old 08-26-2009, 01:24 PM

165 posts, read 552,802 times
Well I'm doing the opposite going from AK to TX....it's gonna be great.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:09 PM

989 posts, read 3,524,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Plus TX is flippin huge...was just in El Paso last week visiting the kids!
Yep, I think Texas is like the biggest state in the union or something like that.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:21 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
Yep, I think Texas is like the biggest state in the union or something like that.
You could fit 2- 1/2 Texas's into the State of Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage