Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 10:53 PM

376 posts, read 828,963 times

Advertisements

I have another question I hope someone will help me with! If I drive my pickup to Bellingham, Washington, and get on a ferry there. By looking at the Alaska Ferry System web site it is somewhat confusing for me. It looks like the ferry going from Bellingham only goes as far as Haines. Do you have to board another one to get from Haines to Whittier? Or will that region be closed to traffic in mid October? Also, since I have never used a ferry system, how does that work? Do I drive my pickup on it, or do I give it to someone to drive to a parking spot or something? Do they weigh your vehicle before you board to determine how much it will cost? If I have to get off at Haines and drive the rest of the way to Anchorage, how would the roads be? I'm trying to decide the best route for me to go with my move in October. Thanks.

T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 10:56 PM

Just to add to what I posted. I won't be pulling a trailer or anything, but I will have some things in the bed of my pickup. I am getting a moving van for household goods.

T

Old 09-03-2009, 08:57 AM

2,397 posts, read 4,674,835 times
There is a ferry that goes to Whittier. But it is booked till next year.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:24 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,842,976 times
It used to be that you could take a ferry to one point, maybe it was Haines, and then transfer to another ferry to Seward and drive up to Anchorage from there, but maybe that was just in the summer. I agree that the ferry web site is confusing. They also have info in the Alaska Milepost, a thick book with a lot of ferry information. Maybe your library will have a copy if it is not in the travel section of most national booksellers.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:32 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,375,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL551 View Post
I have another question I hope someone will help me with! If I drive my pickup to Bellingham, Washington, and get on a ferry there. By looking at the Alaska Ferry System web site it is somewhat confusing for me. It looks like the ferry going from Bellingham only goes as far as Haines. Do you have to board another one to get from Haines to Whittier? Or will that region be closed to traffic in mid October? Also, since I have never used a ferry system, how does that work? Do I drive my pickup on it, or do I give it to someone to drive to a parking spot or something? Do they weigh your vehicle before you board to determine how much it will cost? If I have to get off at Haines and drive the rest of the way to Anchorage, how would the roads be? I'm trying to decide the best route for me to go with my move in October. Thanks.

T

It would be easier if you simply called the Ferry System; I have always found them very helpful.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:35 PM

153 posts, read 461,243 times
I know that all the cabins are booked for the next forever, so bring a tent or something, because they don't let you stay in your vehicle.

shan

Old 09-03-2009, 02:29 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,490,496 times
You transfer to another ferry at Juneau. Unfortunately, the next scheduled sailing is in January.

The way the ferry works is that you get there about 3 hours ahead of the departure time. They will tell you what lane to park in and then will direct you to drive your own vehicle on. The cost is determined by the length of you vehicle, not the weight. Once parked on the ferry, you won't have access to it, except at ports and scheduled times for access to pets (3 times daily between Bellingham and Ketchikan). Cost to Haines is $353 for each passenger and $797 for lengths to 15' or $949 for up to 19'.

From Haines, the drive is about 14 hours to Anchorage. Figure 8 hours to Tok and then 6 hours to Anchorage. Weather-wise, you might hit some snow at the passes, but they are kept relatively clear. You will be crossing into Canada, so you'll need a passport and there are restrictions on guns and those with past felony records, including DUI.

Your other options are to drive the entire way or put your vehicle on one of the barge lines and fly up. I believe the barge line will restrict the load in your vehicle.

Of the three options, driving the entire way is likely to be the cheapest.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:53 PM

AKCK - I agree, it may be cheaper to drive! Considering the cost of driving versus the cost of driving and the ferry. I may still check into putting it with the moving van and let them move it for me. I would just have to get a rental car for a few days in Anchorage. Thanks for the info everyone.

T

Old 09-04-2009, 06:49 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,490,496 times
If they won't put it in the moving van, others have mentioned here that Northland Services offers the best rates for barging vehicles up here. I've used Alaska Marine Lines for shipping stuff to Juneau, but will Northland in the future.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:01 PM

I think I have decided what I am going to do. It kind of made more sense to me to not quit working quite so soon. An extra weeks worth of income from my present employer would be better. I will just have my pickup shipped with the rest of my belongings. I will just have to use a rental car or use the public transit system till my pickup gets there, which hopefully won't be long. I am already looking on www.craigslist.com to see rental places and the newspaper for rental places. I know I would like to have at least a 2-3 bedroom place with 2 bathrooms. I don't plan on bringing my washer and dryer. I saw some places that do have those available in the rental places. If I don't get one of those, is there places to do rentals for appliances? Oh, a garage would be nice too!!!!

T
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage