U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2006, 02:57 PM

141 posts, read 722,424 times

Advertisements

Im considering moving to anchorage in the near future, can some people share the experiences/issues with the city? How is the lifestyle in alaska compared to the mainland u.s.? I'm coming from Tampa, Fl
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2006, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 13,839 times
Although I never lived in Anchorage, I've had to go there several times for work related stuff. As far as it goes, Anchorage is pretty much your average city, you know the usual: Traffic, bums, criminals...the usual. On the plus side, it is surrounded by beautiful mountains and it takes no time at all to drive to the Alaska wilderness where you can hunt, fish, hike, whatever you want.
In my opinion, the city is pretty dreary. Not that it's ugly or anything (for a large city) but it just has a kind of gray pall that hangs around it. I will admit, when I've been there I was pretty much locked in to remaining in the downtown area, so the outlaying parts of the city might be more fun and nicer to look at than the business district.
Coming from Florida, though, it may take some time to get used to the cold and lack of sunshine and the total absence of gorgeous bikini clad women. But if it's something that your heart is set on, then I'd say go for it (even though I still think your crazy to move from a sunny state to a frigid one...but hey...thats just me.)

Old 03-05-2006, 10:48 PM

3,774 posts, read 10,469,364 times
Anchorage in summer is a joy and a beauty to behold. Of course winter seems a little dark, but you're 2500 miles further north. Remember you have 19 hours of daylight in summer, and if you want a big city with the proximity of Alaska at its best, this is it. Girls in shorts and T's in winter are not an option, but you don't find them in Chicago in winter either. King salmon can be caught downtown and bears are sighted in the city limits during spring and summer. Over a thousand moose make the city their home. It is NOT rare to see them on the streets and highways, but they are a driving hazard. Anchorage gray? Only seems that way in the dead of winter. But it is alive and growing.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:05 AM

4 posts, read 28,348 times
I grew up in Anchorage (now living in Denver) and while I'm somewhat biased I don't think I'd go back. Wasilla or Talkeetna would be my preference. Air pollution seems to be growing in the Mat Valley is my major complaint. Sticker shock on fresh goods/food prices from the lower 48 will be something to get used to. House prices "may" astound you also, but I'm not current on prices. All things considered, Anchorage will take some getting used to. LONG days in the summer. LONG nights in the winter. Seasonal affective disorder takes its toll of the new comers (Cheechacko)

Old 04-29-2006, 07:29 PM

38 posts, read 207,408 times
Hello T-Town! How funny- I am planning to move to Florida from Anchorage this Fall. I am from a warm climate and long for sunny skys and sandy beaches.

Alaska definitely has it's down sides (long dark, cold winters, icey rds in winter, high cost of living, etc.) but it is beautiful during the summer. If you are an outdoorsy person, you'll like Alaska. It is beautiful and has owesome landscapes and mountains. Anchorage is a good city, there is plenty of work and pay is decent, but not great in comparison to cost of living.

I recommend to anyone moving to Anchorage or the MatSu Valley areas, buy a home asap! The prices are high now, but they are climbing by the day. There is no sign of prices dropping, but there are strong signs of price increase.
[moderator CUT]

As I said earlier, I can't highly recommend moving to Alaska for several reasons, but I can tell you it does have it's plus sides.

Last edited by Marka; 04-30-2006 at 12:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage