Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 04:03 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times

Advertisements

you sound like a gutsy brave and exciting women! A rare gem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 05:07 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,284,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
We don't get tornadoes, but we sure get blizzards, freezing rain, wind storms, temps -50 and lower in some areas and don't forget earthquakes. Even in Anchorage the snow does not melt all winter; temps never get low enough so we generally have ice under the snow most of the winter season.
Do you guys get much in the way of hail up there? Back home that's probably the worst of the really common types of bad weather and it can really wreak havoc on cars and houses. I can deal with it and all, but I will say it's been nice here in FL not having to worry about big hunks of ice falling from the sky and hitting me in the head or destroying my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
you sound like a gutsy brave and exciting women! A rare gem.
Aw, shucks... Thanks, Steve.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:28 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Do you guys get much in the way of hail up there? Back home that's probably the worst of the really common types of bad weather and it can really wreak havoc on cars and houses. I can deal with it and all, but I will say it's been nice here in FL not having to worry about big hunks of ice falling from the sky and hitting me in the head or destroying my car.

Aw, shucks... Thanks, Steve.

Yes we do get hail from time to time. Volcanic dust can ruin a car up here real quick up here also, but we usually get warning and you need to keep it covered or inside a garage. Are you planning on moving into Anchorage? I do think you'll do fine up here; if you've never driven in snow/ice it might be good to take some defensive driving lessons when you do arrive.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Yes we do get hail from time to time. Volcanic dust can ruin a car up here real quick up here also, but we usually get warning and you need to keep it covered or inside a garage. Are you planning on moving into Anchorage?
I think Anchorage at first, since there are more jobs there (possibly commute from Eagle River or thereabouts). Palmer sounds pretty nice though, and I know there's a fish and game office there, too. From what I gather, Mat-Su is windier and a little colder in the winter though, is that right?

As for volcanoes, how is it indoors with the ash? Any problems with electronics? And what's the pattern like? We all heard about Redoubt down here, but how often is there enough activity to cause problems in the Mat-Su or Anchorage areas?

Old 09-19-2009, 07:28 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
I think Anchorage at first, since there are more jobs there (possibly commute from Eagle River or thereabouts). Palmer sounds pretty nice though, and I know there's a fish and game office there, too. From what I gather, Mat-Su is windier and a little colder in the winter though, is that right?

As for volcanoes, how is it indoors with the ash? Any problems with electronics? And what's the pattern like? We all heard about Redoubt down here, but how often is there enough activity to cause problems in the Mat-Su or Anchorage areas?

Yes the Mat-Su Valley is windier and temps are generally a bit warmer then Anchorage. Palmer is a cute town and yes there is a Fish & Game Office there.

There was a problem with volcanic ash earlier this year from Mt. Redoubt but I was in the lower 48 at the time and from what a neighbor told me it wasn't real bad here in the Valley. It appears Redoubt has calmed down for now lol.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:01 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,171 times
Tigre79

You will have a blast. I drove up in early Aug and returned basically last week from Washington. Single female with dog. I planned on camping more than I did. I stayed in motels for the convience of not setting up camp after long days of driving. All Best Westerns, Kelly Inns, Coast to Coast in BC allow animals. I stayed above the bar in Hyder, AK (Stewert BC) on the Cassier for $35 night in a room I really believe was a closet but it worked. On the way home actually had to camp in truck with dog and 2 coolers of fish- a little unsettling seeing a Griz standing in road when I woke up, but he just ran. All good.

The roads are great. Landscape is amazing. New Toyo tires really nice. I also didn't like not having a gun. I bought Bear spray border crossing didn't mind. I also carried road flares as a weapon if need be. Of course didn't need either but made me feel better. I bought the road flare when I crossed the border. They didn't even question them when I crossed back over. I made sure I filled up tank when got to half a tank no matter price just in case, although really didn't need to as plenty of stations open.

Stopped to let dog out and run along the way in rest stops or along a lake. I bought a soccer ball for him to chase vrs putting my shoulder out for throwing the ball for a quick excersie! It worked out great. I didn't let him run loose unless the area looked moose and bear free. I know my dog would be the type to run up to a bear bark and then get scared run back to me. I didn't want to experience bear or moose coming at me!Haha

People on the road were very nice and seemed to watch out for each other. I was overly concerned driving the Alcan. It is no problem. On the way up I was so amazed. On the way back still amazed but boy I was ready to quit driving when I got home! Good luck and you will love it!!!

Old 10-01-2009, 06:55 PM

693 posts, read 1,605,733 times
Animal cargo is temp controlled...at altitude it would likely be too cold for them to survive if it wasn't. If you are flying your cat, you need to check on heat blackout dates for FL....often June through Aug (dependent on location) airlines will not permit you to fly pets because of high heat. You just have to ask the airlines specifically for your routing. Most major airlines have a good information page on travel with pets. Flying your pet as consigned cargo usually also has different regs and prices than flying with the pet as "excess baggage" on the same flight you are on.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:56 PM

376 posts, read 831,873 times
Just like someone else that posted earlier. Get a "Milepost". It helps with roads, housing etc. It is a very handy guide.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:31 PM

Well, it looks like I'll be able to get my mom to fly up with the cat after I get there. It seems pretty straightforward to have him ride in the cabin as a carry-on. He'll hate it, and I'll still have to drive him to Dallas, but the trip will be a lot better and he'll suffer less stress over all, I think. The dogs are good travelers, and walking them will give me some exercise on the trip, too. I think it'll be a lot of fun. I've got a friend I've thought about asking to come with me if he could, but I think I'd rather go on my own. I definitely get better pictures and meet more people that way.

The trip will take 12 days, which is the same amount of time I was up there driving around on my own camping. I'll cover more ground this time (2200 miles vs. ~5300) and I'll have the dogs and a trailer, but they're good company and I won't be hauling too much up. Mostly books, clothes, sports gear, a desk and a futon. I like having to pare down. I've moved a lot, but have managed to drag too much stuff around with me so far.

I have the '08 Milepost. It's served me pretty well so far. It's good to hear about your trip, nwcountrygal. It sounds like quite an adventure. Thanks for the encouragement.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:31 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,713,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph937 View Post
They can ship cats on passenger planes without the owner however be very careful because they ship the animal in the cargo space and there is no heat down there so if you're moving the kitty up in the winter it will be dangerously cold down there for any animal. I moved up here the day after Christmas two years ago and travelled with my very crazy cat. I had to drug him pretty stiffly and we flew up from Alabama. He did just fine and settled after take off. I could get up and take him to the restroom to check on him. He was never completely knocked out and the flight from Seattle to Anchorage was pretty empty so I could spread out some and not worry if his howls bothered anyone (the plane was so loud that even if he did howl, no one would have heard him.) I doubt we could have made it by car especially in the winter but that's just me. My husband and I do plan on moving back to the lower 48 in the next year or so and we will be renting a motorhome for the journey so that we and the cats (3) and dogs (2) will have room to roam and freedom to stop when we like. I'm not sure how that will go but I think as long as our cats have room to roam and places to hide, they should be alright. Good luck with your trip!

sorry If I repeat anything as I have not yet read the whole tread but Alaska Airlines heats their cargo hold so your pets are safe. I have flown puppies with them and ONLY with them because of this.

have a great trip! Dont think too much into it. Just go with the flow and have fun. Make sure you have lots of gas money. Always FILL your tank full at each fill up as you never know when the next open gas station will appear. Have a GOOD spare tire and know how to change a flat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage