U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 07:11 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,758,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
We have moved back to Alaska a few times after trying to our luck "outside". We have moved here with 2 kids and $150 in our pocket. We have moved on less and on more.
However, that was back in the day when we could do that because we liked living in a dry cabin in the woods and having no money was not a big deal. We made do and it worked for us.

Now days, things are more complicated.
Recently my DH lost his job. Now, before when we were out of work, a week or 2 would pass and DH would have landed another good job. This last time, it was not so easy. In fact it was bad. Really bad. We were days away from forclosure and loosing everything. We were on Gov. Assistance and behind on all our bills. Finally I got a job and then about a month later DH got an offer. But we were HERE and we had connections and still no jobs.

I think that if you want to move to Alaska you need to plan at least 6 months living expenses PLUS money to return home. Alaska is a harsh place to live sometimes.

Good Luck!
Such an excellent post on how this economy is effecting everywhere!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 10:29 AM

4,986 posts, read 9,322,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallymonkey9861 View Post
My husband is a HVAC service technician and I am a CDA (certified dental assistant).
Does he have a Journeyman card?

Alaska Jobs at adn.com/careerbuilder

Old 11-23-2009, 01:26 PM

3 posts, read 9,482 times
I'm not sure exactly what he has, but i know he has all his licensing...I want to say he has his S10 license, but I honestly don't know what that means..I would have to ask him.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:27 PM

3 posts, read 9,482 times
Thanks to everyone for their input and advice...for now i guess we will just keep saving and keep job hunting, and hopefully we will get somewhere!

Old 11-26-2009, 01:46 AM

251 posts, read 640,771 times
I have a friend who just got his pipe welding cert and almost has his journyman card and he is sucking wind, the economy up here has pretty much caught up with the lower 48. I am an engineer and lucky to even have a job, I just tested for my PE but even if I pass I dont think its going to matter employment wise until thinks pick up, it does not matter if you have super duper XYZ certs no one is hiring. Not saying thoes things are not good to have when the economy picks up but right now its irrelavant. Lots of talk by some companies but not alot of follow through.

If you have a job now I would balloon payment out your debt and pay off your house and put enough in saving to pay the taxes for like 3 years then if worse comes to worse at least you wont be homeless, I am nervous because I have a long way to go in paying off my debts and I think this resession is going to be longer than people think it is I would not be poping open any bottles of champain just because 2010 rolls around. I found an old box of cards in my desk and bought a book of stamps and thats my christmas expense this year the rest of the money is going to student loans once thoes are paid it will roll over straight to the mortgage. I would cancel your 401K contributions to pay off debt and your mortgage a 401K does not do you much good if you are froze to death on teh streets even if you get an emergency withdrawl you will be paying penalties and the money you make in the 401K interest is not more than the interest you are paying on your debt I gaurantee it. Once you have a stack of cash and a roof over your head that is not owned by the bank then I would start investment stuff.

30 year mortgages are a joke, who can predict if they will be employed for 30 years or even 15, more like 2 year mortgages if you are lucky.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:25 PM

879 posts, read 1,602,256 times
I've been wanting to move up to Alaska, but am fearful about the employment situation. It sounds like things are getting as bad up there as down here. It's really a shame what's happened with this country. It used to be that if you were eager to work, there were innumerable opportunities available. Now, it's a matter of luck. There just aren't enough jobs. It's downright embarrassing to admit that I've been out of work for a while after my start up business failed when I ran low on cash. I don't blame anyone but myself, but my timing could not have been worse.

I'm now a single 40 year old guy, and it's hard to keep my head up while going through this. I've got a lot of skills, but it seems like it doesn't matter anymore. This is a really brutal time. I have my truck, and a travel trailer to sleep in until I find work, and I know how to live ON THE CHEAP, but I can only hold out for so long. If I could find somewhere to park my trailer for an inexpensive monthly amount, I could make it close to a year. I might just go for it this spring. As long as I don't run into any major truck problems (I can repair most things myself unless it's a tranny or something), perhaps I'll get lucky. I really need some good luck soon. I feel like I'm dying on the vine.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
I've been wanting to move up to Alaska, but am fearful about the employment situation. It sounds like things are getting as bad up there as down here. It's really a shame what's happened with this country. It used to be that if you were eager to work, there were innumerable opportunities available. Now, it's a matter of luck. There just aren't enough jobs. It's downright embarrassing to admit that I've been out of work for a while after my start up business failed when I ran low on cash. I don't blame anyone but myself, but my timing could not have been worse.

I'm now a single 40 year old guy, and it's hard to keep my head up while going through this. I've got a lot of skills, but it seems like it doesn't matter anymore. This is a really brutal time. I have my truck, and a travel trailer to sleep in until I find work, and I know how to live ON THE CHEAP, but I can only hold out for so long. If I could find somewhere to park my trailer for an inexpensive monthly amount, I could make it close to a year. I might just go for it this spring. As long as I don't run into any major truck problems (I can repair most things myself unless it's a tranny or something), perhaps I'll get lucky. I really need some good luck soon. I feel like I'm dying on the vine.
If you have a computer you can go to places with wifi and start looking for jobs nation wide or even out of country.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:21 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,204,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
I think that if you want to move to Alaska you need to plan at least 6 months living expenses PLUS money to return home. Alaska is a harsh place to live sometimes.

Good Luck!
Very good post! We moved here last year only because my occupation is in high demand, so we were "assisted" liberally by my employer. However, my workplace is now full-staffed and if I was looking for this job now, it would not happen. Timing was right for us.

But for example, our rent initially for a very small ranch (900sq ft) was 1100 a month, plus sec dep and first and last mos rent was a whopping 2700 to secure the lease. Add to that sec. dep for utilities, 100$ or so elec and gas.

The economy here no longer really supports the idyllic vision of coming to Alaska that existed in the 70's and 80's. Not to say it can't be done, but wow, you gotta really have the "moxie" and luck to be in the right place at the right time.....

Old 11-27-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akvarmit View Post
Very good post! We moved here last year only because my occupation is in high demand, so we were "assisted" liberally by my employer. However, my workplace is now full-staffed and if I was looking for this job now, it would not happen. Timing was right for us.

But for example, our rent initially for a very small ranch (900sq ft) was 1100 a month, plus sec dep and first and last mos rent was a whopping 2700 to secure the lease. Add to that sec. dep for utilities, 100$ or so elec and gas.

The economy here no longer really supports the idyllic vision of coming to Alaska that existed in the 70's and 80's. Not to say it can't be done, but wow, you gotta really have the "moxie" and luck to be in the right place at the right time.....
Yep the boom times of the 70's are over and actually we had a pretty major state depression here in the 80's and it never really recovered even through the 90's, there was a bit of a boom around 2000 and again in 2005 with a mini depression from 2002ish to 2004 but thoes were relativly insignificant compared to the 70's. If the gas line goes through that will bring back the boom times but so far all they (they being the gov and major oil producers) like to do is sit around and talk about it, which does not pay the mortgage. We need some major public works projects and a major war on someone elses soil where we are supplying significant arms an arms race would get us out of this in a hurry as long as we are very careful to not get involved with our own troops to get us out of this, who knows maybe that war will be the battle of armagedon.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:26 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,382,141 times
Lyoness, I forgot what you do for a living? I've read alot about your quest to move up etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage