Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 04:27 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by megbraz View Post
I am moving to Alaska next year and was wondering if anyone had any tips as to how to get jobs on the North Slope.
At this stage of the game, you pretty much have to know someone who already works on the Slope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 05:14 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
At this stage of the game, you pretty much have to know someone who already works on the Slope.
Or be specialized in something, maybe kitchen or housekeeping...lots of oldies are not working, most newbies are not working, and the last we heard they weren't even building ice roads...latest word was work may pick up in January to hold the mouse by his tail in anticipation....we heard that last year at this time also...tread carefully because moving is expensive, moving out is more so...

Old 12-19-2009, 12:47 AM

251 posts, read 680,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Not just somebody but somebody who is in a position to hire and fire, just knowing somebody who happens to work up there is not going to cut it unless he is willing to allow you to net work further even if he gives you a reference to the key individual, this "person you know" has to be willing to give you a solid reference and your resume has to be solid (certifications, education, years of experience, etc). Most of the high paying jobs in alaska are in oil and gas and its a bi*ch to get your foot in the door, it took me a year to get a job in O&G after I graduated.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:50 AM

251 posts, read 680,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Or be specialized in something, maybe kitchen or housekeeping...lots of oldies are not working, most newbies are not working, and the last we heard they weren't even building ice roads...latest word was work may pick up in January to hold the mouse by his tail in anticipation....we heard that last year at this time also...tread carefully because moving is expensive, moving out is more so...
Work really is suppose to pick up next month the key is who is going to be getting the work? BP and CPA are more selective than ever now as to who they contract and hire, work will pick up but its definitly not going to be boom times.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:20 PM

3 posts, read 5,052 times
Thumbs down dont move

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallymonkey9861 View Post
My husband and I want to move to alaska (anchorage/eagle river/wasilla area). I've done alot of research and have come up w/ contradicting advice as to whether we should secure jobs before the move. My husband is a HVAC service technician and I am a CDA (certified dental assistant). We currently live on the connecticut shoreline, and because we are so far, its hard to job hunt from here. I've looked in the classified ads and have not found anything, so we just to send out a bunch of resumes, but have not really gotten anything back. We are willing to fly out there for face to face interview, but no employers have really showed any interest because we currently live on the other side of the country. We have enough money saved to live off of for 3 or 4 months once we move. If we can't get a job from here (and its looking like its going that way), is that enough time to find a job if we decide to just move out there w/out finding a job first? I don't want to end up stuck there w/ no job and no money, especially since we have a 2 year old. any advice?
I see that you both want to move very badly, but i believe untill you find a job in Alaska dont move!!! your 2 year ol doesnt need to have to go thu flying all the way out there then in 3 months having to fly all the way back home!!

Old 09-03-2011, 09:29 PM

3 posts, read 3,777 times
so.....what you all saying is that no matter what, moving to alaska is very hard,and theres no help what so ever!!!! the goverment wont help new residence to get on there feet,well some other states do have benefits that start off people with apt,utilities,food,and help them find a job....till now i had good things to say bout alaska,i had tell alot of people the one day i was moving to alaska,but after reading all these, i think i change my mind,i know is hard to find a job no matter where you stay at,but people need to stay together and help each other,good luck people

Old 09-04-2011, 09:39 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasladylooking View Post
so.....what you all saying is that no matter what, moving to alaska is very hard,and theres no help what so ever!!!! the goverment wont help new residence to get on there feet,well some other states do have benefits that start off people with apt,utilities,food,and help them find a job....till now i had good things to say bout alaska,i had tell alot of people the one day i was moving to alaska,but after reading all these, i think i change my mind,i know is hard to find a job no matter where you stay at,but people need to stay together and help each other,good luck people
this is an older thread but, what forum members are saying is people do move and make it in Alaska but it is hard.... there is the "transitional" office which use to be known as "unemployment" office that works like the lower 48's.
I am at a loss as to understanding why one would expect the government to help you move and get on your feet regardless of what state it is. People should have the financial means to get to the state an enough to get out an move on if there if things don't work out. Alaska is the toughest state to do that in as it is so expensive to get in and out of due to location.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:32 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
Quote:
other states do have benefits that start off people with apt,utilities,food,and help them find a job
Sounds like heaven. You might do better in one of these "other states" if all your looking for is a free ride from the government. Your not going to get it in Alaska. Unless you've worked and have unemployment benefits you can collect moving from there to here, while looking for work.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:09 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,922 times
Quote:
other states do have benefits that start off people with apt,utilities,food,and help them find a job....

Oh, I'm all for a free ride, Please tell us more about these states!!

Old 09-05-2011, 01:13 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Quote:
Just getting to Alaska is expensive, whether you drive, fly or take the ferry.

If a person can save up for that they ought to be able to save up a while longer and have enough to get on their feet once they arrive. And if someone has a sudden or emergency move up here - let's say for work or family reasons - well, they've got work or family then to get things rolling for them, yeah?

Last edited by Frostnip; 09-05-2011 at 01:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage