U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2009, 07:27 PM

3 posts, read 9,452 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to move to alaska (anchorage/eagle river/wasilla area). I've done alot of research and have come up w/ contradicting advice as to whether we should secure jobs before the move. My husband is a HVAC service technician and I am a CDA (certified dental assistant). We currently live on the connecticut shoreline, and because we are so far, its hard to job hunt from here. I've looked in the classified ads and have not found anything, so we just to send out a bunch of resumes, but have not really gotten anything back. We are willing to fly out there for face to face interview, but no employers have really showed any interest because we currently live on the other side of the country. We have enough money saved to live off of for 3 or 4 months once we move. If we can't get a job from here (and its looking like its going that way), is that enough time to find a job if we decide to just move out there w/out finding a job first? I don't want to end up stuck there w/ no job and no money, especially since we have a 2 year old. any advice?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 07:33 PM

7,305 posts, read 13,580,387 times
You need to realize that there are thousands of people just like you guys that are looking for jobs in Alaska. Those that are physically here have a much better chance of finding a job.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:40 PM

5,963 posts, read 11,635,735 times
Three or four months of funds to live on is not enough. It's expensive to move to Alaska and expensive to leave. The recession has hit up here as well. Alot of newbies plus locals are looking for work. If it were me I would not make the move until I had secured employment and had "at least" enough money to live on close to a year, and very important, enough funds to leave. I say funds to last close to a year just in case something happens with the job you secure. You'll need enough to live on until you'd find something else or make plans to leave.

Not trying to discourage you but being honest. You have a 2-year old to consider and AK is a long ways from CT. BTW, I have 2 nieces who live in CT. and I know employment there is rough also, as all over. Good luck in your decision.

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 11-20-2009 at 07:57 PM..

Old 11-20-2009, 08:42 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,074,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Three or four months of funds to live on is not enough. It's expensive to move to Alaska and expensive to leave. The recession has hit up here as well. Alot of newbies plus locals are looking for work. If it were me I would not make the move until I had secured employment and had "at least" enough money to live on close to a year, and very important, enough funds to leave. I say funds to last close to a year just in case something happens with the job you secure. You'll need enough to live on until you'd find something else or make plans to leave.

Not trying to discourage you but being honest. You have a 2-year old to consider and AK is a long ways from CT. BTW, I have 2 nieces who live in CT. and I know employment there is rough also, as all over. Good luck in your decision.
everyone in life has to take chances finding jobs in particular location they really like and feel for self respect such as Alaska. it is wise though to have back up money for trip back home or back to parents house if Alaska does not pan out for job performance. self happy culture is king. indeed.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:50 PM

5,963 posts, read 11,635,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blockus View Post
everyone in life has to take chances finding jobs in particular location they really like and feel for self respect such as Alaska. it is wise though to have back up money for trip back home or back to parents house if Alaska does not pan out for job performance. self happy culture is king. indeed.
Nothing wrong Bob in taking chances finding jobs in a particular location, but one always needs a back-up plan, especially if it is Alaska.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:06 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,074,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Nothing wrong Bob in taking chances finding jobs in a particular location, but one always needs a back-up plan, especially if it is Alaska.
yes agree. however back up plan is to have enough money to go back home or parents house if Alaska Job performance does not pan out. this is true when networking making friends lands jobs in the market place. takes simple strike catch at right time when networking on phone, in person. emails do not really work in picking up jobs. telephone works best.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:02 PM

7,305 posts, read 13,580,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blockus View Post
telephone works best.
This should be a sticky. Best advice BB has given today. Why are people afraid to pick up the phone and call anymore?

Old 11-22-2009, 01:23 PM

941 posts, read 1,635,853 times
I can partially answer having just moved from NC to Anchorage. However, I must say my wife is from Alaska and has relatives here and we weren’t looking for jobs since we are retired which gives us a different perspective. But we wanted a bank account, telephone, internet, cable TV, automotive registration, and all the other myriad services that go with civilization. We had a real estate person who was helpful. The bank account situation caused the most problems. The Patriot Act says you have to physically be at the bank to open an account. We had accounts at Chase and Bank of America, but they don't have branches here which created problems. Since we regularly visited here we knew what banks were in Anchorage so that made it seem easier. Except Wells Fargo couldn't open an account unless we went to one of their branches. The closest branch was hundreds of miles away. I was able to open an account by going to the top management of the bank. But getting an ATM card for access to cash once we got here seemed insurmountable. Getting information over the phone was a chore. We bought a condominium in Anchorage but not being here was a problem. There have been posts that question which of the various services you should choose. Some like electric are evident but try to do it all without being at the counter. You can't transfer your vehicle title or get a drivers’ license without being in that office. But try to do anything involving finances without identification. I had to retain NC insurance after registering my pickup when I flew to Alaska and found out without the truck being in Alaska no one would sell me a policy. So having a US Passport, cash in hand, and the willingness to take forever to satisfy all the requirements is part of establishing yourself here. I can't imagine doing all that and finding a job at the same time. Renting might ease some of the problems but you'd still need enough funding to make it on your own for a considerable amount of time. The easiest thing of all was getting the Post Office to forward mail and notify everyone of our new address. The other things require time during the hours the place you need to deal with is open. We came to Anchorage in December. April, July, and finally in September and didn't find the move to be easy so I'd say make sure you understand the problems before you start.

Last edited by richelles; 11-22-2009 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: Forgot to spell check

Old 11-22-2009, 01:44 PM

6,992 posts, read 11,650,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
I can partially answer having just moved from NC to Anchorage. However, I must say my wife is from Alaska and has relatives here and we weren’t looking for jobs since we are retired which gives us a different perspective. But we wanted a bank account, telephone, internet, cable TV, automotive registration, and all the other myriad services that go with civilization. We had a real estate person who was helpful. The bank account situation caused the most problems. The Patriot Act says you have to physically be at the bank to open an account. We had accounts at Chase and Bank of America, but they don't have branches here which created problems. Since we regularly visited here we knew what banks were in Anchorage so that made it seem easier. Except Wells Fargo couldn't open an account unless we went to one of their branches. The closest branch was hundreds of miles away. I was able to open an account by going to the top management of the bank. But getting an ATM card for access to cash once we got here seemed insurmountable. Getting information over the phone was a chore. We bought a condominium in Anchorage but not being here was a problem. There have been posts that question which of the various services you should choose. Some like electric are evident but try to do it all without being at the counter. You can't transfer your vehicle title or get a drivers’ license without being in that office. But try to do anything involving finances without identification. I had to retain NC insurance after registering my pickup when I flew to Alaska and found out without the truck being in Alaska no one would sell me a policy. So having a US Passport, cash in hand, and the willingness to take forever to satisfy all the requirements is part of establishing yourself here. I can't imagine doing all that and finding a job at the same time. Renting might ease some of the problems but you'd still need enough funding to make it on your own for a considerable amount of time. The easiest thing of all was getting the Post Office to forward mail and notify everyone of our new address. The other things require time during the hours the place you need to deal with is open. We came to Anchorage in December. April, July, and finally in September and didn't find the move to be easy so I'd say make sure you understand the problems before you start.
Funny how some things are easier for some than others??!! I not only did the closing on our land by email and faxing, set up a bank account and wired money with the Bank of Alaska, got a lot number assigned for our land for postal service etc all by email and phone.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:17 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,404,684 times
We have moved back to Alaska a few times after trying to our luck "outside". We have moved here with 2 kids and $150 in our pocket. We have moved on less and on more.
However, that was back in the day when we could do that because we liked living in a dry cabin in the woods and having no money was not a big deal. We made do and it worked for us.

Now days, things are more complicated.
Recently my DH lost his job. Now, before when we were out of work, a week or 2 would pass and DH would have landed another good job. This last time, it was not so easy. In fact it was bad. Really bad. We were days away from forclosure and loosing everything. We were on Gov. Assistance and behind on all our bills. Finally I got a job and then about a month later DH got an offer. But we were HERE and we had connections and still no jobs.

I think that if you want to move to Alaska you need to plan at least 6 months living expenses PLUS money to return home. Alaska is a harsh place to live sometimes.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage