Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 10:54 AM

103 posts, read 271,913 times

Advertisements

I want the boys to grow up to be secure in who they are, but with as much acceptance as humanly possible for other people and their personal life choices. That's what I strive for in my life, and that's what I hope to see in my children. I don't understand why a cross dresser would bother them? I assume it's because they are still young and still think other people somehow relect onto them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 11:27 AM

49 posts, read 134,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS57 View Post
I want the boys to grow up to be secure in who they are, but with as much acceptance as humanly possible for other people and their personal life choices. That's what I strive for in my life, and that's what I hope to see in my children. I don't understand why a cross dresser would bother them? I assume it's because they are still young and still think other people somehow relect onto them.
That's great but, unless it is a trait it can be discriminated against. Cross dressing is not a trait but a choice. It is your choice to accept diversity of choice, others do not have to accept it and are not wrong in refusing it.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:49 AM

103 posts, read 271,913 times
That's true, but as I tried to say it is my hope that my children will accept diversity of choice as well as trait. Part of why I choose to live in Anchorage; I believe that living in this community increases the likelihood of that. Relative to where we did live before at least. I have lived most of my life in Texas, haven't traveled much outside of the South, and don't watch much TV - that's why I asked the original question about the hair coloring. Much of what seems unusual to me may be quite common in larger cities.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
That's true, but as I tried to say it is my hope that my children will accept diversity of choice as well as trait. Part of why I choose to live in Anchorage; I believe that living in this community increases the likelihood of that. Relative to where we did live before at least. I have lived most of my life in Texas, haven't traveled much outside of the South, and don't watch much TV - that's why I asked the original question about the hair coloring. Much of what seems unusual to me may be quite common in larger cities.
That is great goal, something that we all fall a little shor on at one point. I can tell by your statement above that you never made it to Austin?

Old 01-01-2010, 12:07 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo72 View Post
That is good that crossdressing doesn't threaten you but that isn't what YaFace said. Way to turn that comment into a bias issue.
This is part of the post I was responding to:

Quote:
No one is cool with cross dressers except other cross dressers.
Figure it out; it really isn't that difficult.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
This is part of the post I was responding to:

Figure it out; it really isn't that difficult.
Except that you used the word "threatened" which completely changes the context of the discussion making it a bias/ discrimination arguement.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:31 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo72 View Post
Except that you used the word "threatened" which completely changes the context of the discussion making it a bias/ discrimination arguement.
You spelled "argument" wrong.

The phrase "not cool with" has precisely the same effect on the discussion as you're trying to claim that the word "threatened" does.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:41 PM

749 posts, read 1,790,120 times
Quote:
This is probably just a reflection of my spending the last several years in the boring, ultra-conservative wasteland of West Texas but what's up with the unusual hair coloring that I keep seeing around town? Mostly it's young girls with pink and green and blue - but sometimes it's older women, and yesterday I kept running into an otherwise 'normal' looking guy in Fred Meyer with bright green hair. Is that in all large cities, or is it an Anchorage thing? I think it's neat to live in a place were you can wake up in the morning and think "what the heck, I'll paint my hair purple" or something like that. In fact, where do that get the dye? Is it temporary? If so, I think I'll get some and paint mine for New Years.
I've often wondered that myself. Especially for older woman my age. Here in Nashville you'll see more elderly woman with orange, pink, blue and purple hair all over the malls, grocery stores etc. They also are wearing gothic clothing. In California I only saw the younger teen crowd doing it. It really shocked me with how so much of it is here in Tennessee with the older generation.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:

The phrase "not cool with" has precisely the same effect on the discussion as you're trying to claim that the word "threatened" does.
Thanks. Unlike your computer my computer has a filter that will not allow the spell check Active X option so I do not have spell check to fix my errors (like you do) but I do a pretty good job on my own.

So, I do acknowledge that you do have one redeeming quality- during your spell check your eagle eyes noticed the squiggly line under the misspelled word when you replied to my comment. You are a first rate City-Data Anchorage spell checker. Good job.

I salute you.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:

Now for the second part of your comment. No, not cool has nothing to do with being threatened. Not cool means "I don't agree with".

The person making the comment has this right: not to agree with cross dressers. You, turned his comment into a values based bias/ discrimination arguement which it wasn't.

Stick to spell checking, you are good at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage