U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2010, 01:40 PM

251 posts, read 618,202 times

Advertisements

Where in anchorage can you buy wine making supplies, some of these things like the big corker might be challenging to order online (although not impossible). I know arctic brewing has beer making stuff but I have never seen wine making stuff in there but its been a while since I have been there. Also anywhere that sells a wide sellection of juice in bulk for cheap would be great. Also in the off chance anyone knows where to buy distillation colunms for vodka would be great, even alcohal at costco is getting too steep, if you cant buy them (or if the prices are out into space) I was going to design one and have a friend of myn weld up the high grade stainless steel, I would have to find a reboiler though, but im sure I could make one with a propane heater or something.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 03:15 PM

941 posts, read 1,570,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
Where in anchorage can you buy wine making supplies, some of these things like the big corker might be challenging to order online (although not impossible). I know arctic brewing has beer making stuff but I have never seen wine making stuff in there but its been a while since I have been there. Also anywhere that sells a wide sellection of juice in bulk for cheap would be great. Also in the off chance anyone knows where to buy distillation colunms for vodka would be great, even alcohal at costco is getting too steep, if you cant buy them (or if the prices are out into space) I was going to design one and have a friend of myn weld up the high grade stainless steel, I would have to find a reboiler though, but im sure I could make one with a propane heater or something.
I don't know if I'm reading this right or maybe I'm just baffled by what is being suggested. I'm from Tennessee and the next county to where I lived is Cocke County which has two occupations; **** fighting and Moonshining and some how I get the gist of this post as we are now going to have a moonshiner in Anchorage!!!!!! The only way making your own moonshine is cheaper is if you don't get caught. I've been riding down a country road when I smelled the unmistakable smell of a ripe pot ready to be boiled over so the owner can milk the still into pint Mason jars to make his delivery's. Way to go boy!!!!

Old 01-09-2010, 03:20 PM

251 posts, read 618,202 times
this site is unbelivable, its legal to make up to 5 gals for personal comsuption. So is there anyone with a useful post not just about distillation but wine making as well.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:23 PM

21,366 posts, read 34,316,643 times
Whine making machine? Look in the mirror!

Old 01-13-2010, 06:30 PM

22,420 posts, read 29,808,737 times
Quote:
this site is unbelivable, its legal to make up to 5 gals for personal comsuption. So is there anyone with a useful post not just about distillation but wine making as well.
I got a still from here; it works quite well..

COPPER MOONSHINE STILLS

Old 01-13-2010, 09:45 PM

17,605 posts, read 23,706,305 times
Quote:
The ATF says otherwise, but screw revenuers anyways...but watch out buying any supplies for it, they do conduct stings by posing as people selling stills, etc.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:16 PM

7,305 posts, read 12,942,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The ATF says otherwise, but screw revenuers anyways...but watch out buying any supplies for it, they do conduct stings by posing as people selling stills, etc.
Alaska allows homebrewing for personal consumption. You can't sell it. That's where it gets illegal.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:37 PM

22,420 posts, read 29,808,737 times
Quote:
My dad makes wine; for him it's a hobby because he's diabetic and can't drink much of it. He gives it as gifts etc. He lives around the corner from my winter home in Oregon so I walk over there from time to time and help him out as a taster.

He doesn't buy juice but gets it from local berries; he can't get around so well in the woods anymore so the nieces and other local kids keep him well supplied. I save wine bottle/corks for him; when I get a chance I'll ask him where he gets his supplies.

Last summer I wanted to make some fireweed wine and then distill it into brandy but the salmon hit so hard and heavy all at once that there was no time for that. Maybe this year.

I can tell you a little Alaska trick about making 'shine but would prefer not to post it out in the open...dm me if interested.

A certain amount is of course totally legal and I would under no circumstances advocate its manufacture for commercial purposes. But I will see that as legislation evolves, there may be a viable future for experienced distillers.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:09 PM

17,605 posts, read 23,706,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Alaska allows homebrewing for personal consumption. You can't sell it. That's where it gets illegal.
Federal not state. The feds seem to think they can outlaw distilling alcohol without buying a license and paying them for the "privilege" of having them stick their noses in your business. TTBGov Distilled Spirits FAQs

But from what I've found through research, few people have been prosecuted in recent years for distilling, and they got caught while selling...

Old 02-06-2010, 01:30 AM

4 posts, read 10,983 times
Brewing beer and fermenting wine are both legal in Alaska. Distilling hard alcohol is a different process that requires a still and can be hazardous and can actually kill you if not done right. The worse thing that can happen with homemade beer, wine or mead is that it will taste bad. Poorly made moonshine can blind you or kill you. That's kind of why one is legal and the other isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: