U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:45 PM

22,422 posts, read 29,820,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oboelke View Post
Of course what the liberals aren't saying is that countless people have been saved because they have had their own firearms, people I know personally, and didn't have to wait for 911 to respond. What theyre also not saying is that gun control leads to poiitical hiccups like the holocaust, a few hundred years of slavery here in the US (which is why John Brown raided Harpers Ferry), seventy years of apartied, seventy years of the USSR, etc.
ffs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 11:48 PM

941 posts, read 1,570,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
... many of you simply don't realize to what extent the NRA is pimping the 2nd Amendment for their own financial gain.
I'm not trying to be argumentative about this issue but every time in the past when I've driven Interstate 495 around the North side of Washington, DC I wonder why the NRA has built such a huge building on the South side of that highway. As I recall it is somewhere near the huge Mosque that Saudi Arabia built on the North side of the same highway. I was once told the NRA spent as much as the Saudis did for their building. It has always appeared to me that someone needed an enormous amount of prestige to warrant that much of an edifice for their headquarters. I know of big corporations that don't have that much building.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
I'm not trying to be argumentative about this issue but every time in the past when I've driven Interstate 495 around the North side of Washington, DC I wonder why the NRA has built such a huge building on the South side of that highway. As I recall it is somewhere near the huge Mosque that Saudi Arabia built on the North side of the same highway. I was once told the NRA spent as much as the Saudis did for their building. It has always appeared to me that someone needed an enormous amount of prestige to warrant that much of an edifice for their headquarters. I know of big corporations that don't have that much building.
I am a believer in 2nd amendment rights and I truly do not understand the infatuation with the NRA that some have.

I suppose they play on the fears of the ignorant; they are definitely a money machine, the flip side of PETA, in my opinion.

In a way it almost seems to be a "trend" of sorts. I recall one poster here who bought his wife an NRA membership for Christmas or some such....kind of like some weird neo redneck status symbol. Personally I would have preferred a new Glock.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:36 AM

7,305 posts, read 12,948,062 times
Quote:
I am a believer in 2nd amendment rights and I truly do not understand the infatuation with the NRA that some have.

I suppose they play on the fears of the ignorant; they are definitely a money machine, the flip side of PETA, in my opinion.

In a way it almost seems to be a "trend" of sorts. I recall one poster here who bought his wife an NRA membership for Christmas or some such....kind of like some weird neo redneck status symbol. Personally I would have preferred a new Glock.
When the liberals keep pushing legislation to limit your second amendment rights you'll wonder why the NRA didn't stand up and do something. If the liberals just accepted the fact that the 2nd amendment protected the invidiuals right to keep and bear arms I guess then there would be no need for the NRA. Until then you better hope that the NRA remains proactive. Otherwise you'll see Canadian style gun control creep into this country.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
When the liberals keep pushing legislation to limit your second amendment rights you'll wonder why the NRA didn't stand up and do something. If the liberals just accepted the fact that the 2nd amendment protected the invidiuals right to keep and bear arms I guess then there would be no need for the NRA. Until then you better hope that the NRA remains proactive. Otherwise you'll see Canadian style gun control creep into this country.
The NRA is an opportunistic parasite that likes to portray themselves as the premium defender of 2nd Amendment rights in order to keep the cash flow rolling in. Obviously it's working just out just fine for them.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
The NRA is an opportunistic parasite that likes to portray themselves as the premium defender of 2nd Amendment rights in order to keep the cash flow rolling in. Obviously it's working just out just fine for them.
You got a better idea? Right now that's the only organization that's doing squat about it.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:35 PM

16,374 posts, read 13,149,185 times
.......any news on the condition of the officer?

Old 01-10-2010, 04:37 PM

Story in ADN.

Police hunt attacker who shot officer: Crime | adn.com

Old 01-10-2010, 04:50 PM

16,374 posts, read 13,149,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Thanks. amazing he talked with family after surgery. sounds like nothing went into a major artery or organ. so glad he will make it.

I have been listening to the APD radio hoping that I would hear they caught the shooters.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:58 PM

251 posts, read 618,325 times
Arnt they supose to have back up all the time, isent it against procedure to go to sketchy areas as a cop by yourself. I always see cops with back up, either 2 cars or 2 guys in one car or a dog or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage