Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 08:09 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN2travel2 View Post
I have a large lab mix that is suffering terribly from the mosquito's here in the Anchorage area. He has lost alot of his hair on his belly and legs from the constant scratching and itching and licking the bites. Any ideas on a good safe repellent for dogs?

Would appreciate all ideas and help! Thanks in advance.
Couldn't help it, but kind of "stumbled" across your question....
Feed your dog raw, minced garlic cloves with his food.
(We use that in Germany with our animals over there) it's VERY safe and VERY healthy, and most of all...it WORKS!
It doesn't have to be chemicals all of the time....
I feed my 2 dogs that, and they are doing great with it. It also controls parsites (internally as well), and also keeps ticks and fleas at bay.
Try it out, and pm me with the results....good or bad....lol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 09:50 PM

395 posts, read 1,717,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
Couldn't help it, but kind of "stumbled" across your question....
Feed your dog raw, minced garlic cloves with his food.
(We use that in Germany with our animals over there) it's VERY safe and VERY healthy, and most of all...it WORKS!
It doesn't have to be chemicals all of the time....
I feed my 2 dogs that, and they are doing great with it. It also controls parsites (internally as well), and also keeps ticks and fleas at bay.
Try it out, and pm me with the results....good or bad....lol...
Does that work on human also or does this treatment just keep people at a safe distant??

Old 06-04-2007, 09:57 AM
MB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMFEB31 View Post
Does that work on human also or does this treatment just keep people at a safe distant??
I don't know...why, do you have an obnoxious realitve?
Seriously, it has A LOT of health benefits.....give and take some, I guess, as far as the smell is concerned

Old 06-05-2007, 01:06 AM

395 posts, read 1,717,047 times
Actually, I love real garlic in cooking. Problem is, my other 1/2 like to use garlic salt and then sparingly. Problem will be solved in the next few days when I head North w/o her. I'd be BBQing 1/2 the time anyway and I will be using a liberal amount of garlic. We will find out whether the mosquites likes me or not.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:49 AM
MB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMFEB31 View Post
Actually, I love real garlic in cooking. Problem is, my other 1/2 like to use garlic salt and then sparingly. Problem will be solved in the next few days when I head North w/o her. I'd be BBQing 1/2 the time anyway and I will be using a liberal amount of garlic. We will find out whether the mosquites likes me or not.
If you are overdoing it......nobody and NOTHING will bother you....lol.
Let me know.....

Old 06-06-2007, 12:33 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,963 times
Default could hardly be worse

I've got a beagle whose breath rivals the bottom of a monkey cage. There is NOTHING that is even remotely food-related that he will not eat, its like having a knee-high bear around the house. Raw garlic could hardly be worse than his breath is now, might have to try it.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:45 PM

644 posts, read 3,321,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
We use K9 AdvanTix. It's a liquid substance you place at the back of the neck and several places along the backbone. It's supposed to protect them for about a month. Since it is absorbed into the body, it provides all-around protection, and won't wash off. It's also available in several concentrations, depending on the size of the dog.

You can probably find it at any of the larger pet stores in Anchorage. I get mine online from Drs. Foster and Smith. Drugstore.com sometimes has it available, but not for all size dogs. Be warned--It's not cheap! However, it comes with 5-6 applications, so it lasts us several years since we usually only apply it during the really bad times.

This stuff REALLY works! However, if you're worried about it being absorbed into the skin, you best look elsewhere. I've heard of people using regular bug dope or Avon's Skin-so-Soft as an alternative. Personally, I think the Skin-so-Soft only works with certain body chemistries; our pediatrician says that studies have shown it actually attracts more mosquitoes than repels when used on people, but I know some people who swear by it.
I've heard a lot of bad things about Frontline and that stuff in Advantage that kills ticks. I'll never use it on my dog again.

Artie

Old 06-08-2007, 11:53 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,515,675 times
I have raised German Shepherds and English Setters for years. I strongly believe in Frontline and Interseptor (like heard gaurd but better). I have had no scerious problems in regaurd. It is a monthly application and is fairly reasonable in price. Available at most vets office.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:38 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,388,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke63 View Post
I've heard a lot of bad things about Frontline and that stuff in Advantage that kills ticks. I'll never use it on my dog again.

Artie
Do you have some specific info on this or good web sites? Some web searches take a lot of time to weed through before getting to the needed info.

I don't doubt you at all, which is why my dogs only get one dose a year, and only if the mosquitoes are really bad.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,419 times
Default bug bites

I Used To Live In The Sw Interior On The Up-river Kuskokwim. I Had A Bunch Of Sled Dogs. When The Moskeetoes Got Bad I Mixed "buhack"bug Powder And Used Drain Motor Oil And Painted My Dogs Eyebrows With The Stuff,it Worked Great. The Bugs Were Real Bad In The Summer ,i Also Staked Them Out On The River Bank Where The Breeze Also Helped To Keep The Bugs Down. Buhack{sp} Comes In A Yellow Can-my Lead Dogs Were Doberman Blacklab Mix Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage