Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 11:13 PM

2 posts, read 5,470 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

We just moved here from Hawaii and we have 7 month old twins. We also have a six year old daughter. I was trying to find a multiples support group and people in the area. This move has been a huge adjustment and I'm not sure where to start.

Where can I go with infants? What are the best places to eat? Any advice on living in the snow would be great.

Thank you for your time and advice in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 07:37 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,093,761 times
You have arrived in the "dead of winter" so don't be hasty to think it's Mars.

1) are your vehicles "winterized"? if not take them to a local shop or dealer and get that done.

2) do you have AWD/4WD or studs on your tires?

3) If you live near Eagle River or Anchorage there are many shopping areas. Costco, Sams Club, Fred Meyers and Carrs are the big ones.

4) google schools in your area and find out where your 6 year old will go and ask them for contacts to groups of welcome moms etc.

5) by lots of comfort foods, and coffee and stay warm.

How's that for 0530 before work? =)

Welcome. Spring is right around the corner.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 5,470 times
Thank you for the warm welcome! We bought a vehicle as soon as we arrived which is weatherized and has studded tires. Phew, that was a nightmare. It is a 4x4 as we learned that is imperative to drive around anchorage. We enrolled our daughter on base and she is loving school (they ski for P.E., who would have thought!).

Right now, I am taking your advice and ordering coffee to stay warm. The winter seems very light, is it always this way or is this year not as heavy as it usually is. I thought there would be plenty more snow.

Thanks again!

Old 01-21-2010, 03:16 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,882,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBnj2009 View Post
Thank you for the warm welcome! We bought a vehicle as soon as we arrived which is weatherized and has studded tires. Phew, that was a nightmare. It is a 4x4 as we learned that is imperative to drive around anchorage. We enrolled our daughter on base and she is loving school (they ski for P.E., who would have thought!).

Right now, I am taking your advice and ordering coffee to stay warm. The winter seems very light, is it always this way or is this year not as heavy as it usually is. I thought there would be plenty more snow.

Thanks again!

It's just part of the Alaska mythology. I don't know (but I've been told) that some parts of North Dakota and Michigan have worse winters.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:26 PM

145 posts, read 570,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
It's just part of the Alaska mythology. I don't know (but I've been told) that some parts of North Dakota and Michigan have worse winters.
Yup, when we came, people told us that Vermonters wouldn't have a clue how rough the winters would be here. Nope, the winters are significantly milder than in the Nek. But winters...summers...falls...springs...are each totally beautiful here.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:40 PM

3 posts, read 9,828 times
Gwennies on Spenard is awesome! one of my fav places to eat here. It used to be a brothel back in the day. Reasonably priced and HUGE portions. The childrens pancakes are the size of dinner plates. The best burger I have had is at the Lucky Wishbone downtown. Love their bacon cheeseburger. That place has been around forever too. Humpys is awesome and the Glacier Brewhouse is a nice date night place. Pricey but sooooooo worth it. Their food is yummy too. Good luck with the shopping. You live in Alaska now...there isn't any place to shop here but the mall, target, kohls and walmart. That is what I am looking forward to when we leave Ak...more places to shop.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:42 PM

3 posts, read 9,828 times
oh and about the winter...it has been mild this year. Not too bad. Last year it was really cold. It doesn't get really bad until January and February which are the coldest months. The summers are awesome! Light almost all day and the greenest trees I have ever seen. And I orginally come from Washington state so that is saying alot. Good luck with your tour up here. You will hate it here at first but it grows on you.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:55 PM

165 posts, read 552,852 times
Welcome. My wife and I came up here in 2008 and that winter was awful. Last summer was beautiful though. I assume you live on Base, if so then if you have any questions about housing let me know I work for Aurora. Also I have found that the Commissary is the cheapest place for groceries, but sometimes runs out of things like fresh produce fairly regularly.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:28 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,120,522 times
I wish I had access to the commissary. Their prices are amazing.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,453 times
Hi just wanted to welcome you here we r kind of new we got to elmendorf the 30 of june 2009 we have a almost 1yr old and almost 3 yr old e mail me if you want to have a play date with the kids. [email]chrissyabreo@yahoo.com[/email]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage