U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:17 AM

74 posts, read 151,523 times

Advertisements

It is funny reading the posts here on the different opinions about Anchorage. I was wondering from anyone who is from Seattle or Portland if Anchorage is as bad as some people say? I have read words like "dirty" or "unsafe". For people that have lived in AK their whole life and Anchorage is the largest city they've experienced, it is probably "scary" compared to some of the smaller towns. I live in a somewhat "safe" neighborhood on the outskirts of Portland and I don't allow my children to play in the front yard because we have too many "yucky" people that walk by here on a daily basis and I don't want one of them nabbing my kids on their way. The crime rate in the area I live in is increasing. I live in a nice neighborhood where the same people that bought their houses in the 1960's still live here and are nice people, but too many scary people like to come through here. Anyways, just wondering if anyone coming from a different perspective can give me insight. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 10:24 AM

5,963 posts, read 11,392,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelface101 View Post
It is funny reading the posts here on the different opinions about Anchorage. I was wondering from anyone who is from Seattle or Portland if Anchorage is as bad as some people say? I have read words like "dirty" or "unsafe". For people that have lived in AK their whole life and Anchorage is the largest city they've experienced, it is probably "scary" compared to some of the smaller towns. I live in a somewhat "safe" neighborhood on the outskirts of Portland and I don't allow my children to play in the front yard because we have too many "yucky" people that walk by here on a daily basis and I don't want one of them nabbing my kids on their way. The crime rate in the area I live in is increasing. I live in a nice neighborhood where the same people that bought their houses in the 1960's still live here and are nice people, but too many scary people like to come through here. Anyways, just wondering if anyone coming from a different perspective can give me insight. Thanks.

I would say read the Anchorage Daily News on a regular basis to get a good idea of Anchorage. BTW I'm not from the States you mentioned, but as I said the daily paper will give you some insight. Crime seems to be increasing in Anchorage.

Alaska News, Jobs and Advertising from the Anchorage Daily News | Anchorage, Mat-Su Valley, Kenai Peninsula

Old 03-05-2010, 10:34 AM

4,986 posts, read 9,032,362 times
It depends what area you live in. In my area, the previous owners of my house never once locked the front door the entire 5 years they lived here. However, there are other areas of Anchorage I will never go to. Basically, Anchorage is a small city that encompasses the entire spectrum of neighborhood demographics - from good to bad - that you would find in some of the larger metropolitan areas down south.

As for being dirty - yea, if you brush up against the outside of you car in your good clothes you'll get filthy. During winter, even the Mercedes and BMWs up here are covered in grime. But that's Alaska - not necessarliy just Anchorage. There's a reason this place is still called the last frontier - it goes with the territory. I'm sure the settlers of the old west didn't drive clean covered wagons either.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:33 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,211,773 times
During the winter I never use soap at the car wash. Not much sense in it. With that said I wouldn't live in Portland or Seattle and I've spent lots of time in both. To many freaking people, too many cars, too many stores and too much traffic.!!

Old 03-05-2010, 12:01 PM

5,356 posts, read 17,455,585 times
I've lived in Seattle and only occasionally go to Anchorage. Think back, I'd say that the crime level is close to being the same in both places. The difference is that the Seattle area is about 4 times the size, so as a percentage, has less crime. As in all cities, there are places that are almost completely safe and locations you should avoid. I don't know about other cities, but I believe in Alaska, a majority of crime is either gang related, the attacker is known by the victim or bar/drinking related. If you're not involved in the first, have relatively stable friends and family, and don't make the bar scene a major part of your life, you'll likely never be a victim.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:22 PM

864 posts, read 1,852,959 times
I grew up in the Seattle suburbs and have also lived in Bellingham, WA. I have no statistics to back it up, but an educated guess would put the Anchorage crime rate a little below that of Seattle (accounting for the size difference). For the most part, I would feel perfectly safe living in Anchorage, though there are definetely neighborhoods like (and worse than) yours which you describe.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:18 PM

3,380 posts, read 8,492,164 times
Its called Stranger Danger and has been researched as being harmful to your children and is why people have a harder time meeting friends.

Stranger danger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The process of constantly warning children of possible danger in the form of strangers has also been criticised as exaggerating the potential threat and unnecessarily spreading mistrust, especially when considering that (for example) in the US, about 800,000 children are reported at least temporarily missing every year, yet only 115 "become victims of what is viewed as classic stranger abductions".[2] In situations where the child is in danger for other reasons, avoiding strangers (who might help) could in fact be dangerous itself, such as in the case of an 11 year old boy scout who avoided rescue searchers because he feared they might want to 'steal him'.[2]
Some extreme proponents of "stranger danger" warnings have however instead proposed to teach children not to approach anyone without parental permission (such as not to enter a car even if they recognise the person).[3]

Old 03-05-2010, 09:39 PM

74 posts, read 151,523 times
[quote=AlaskaKash;13174242]Its called Stranger Danger and has been researched as being harmful to your children and is why people have a harder time meeting friends.

Stranger danger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank you. My children are very aware that there are good strangers and bad strangers. What I am talking about is the difference between living in the city I currently live in where you lock your doors when you are home and do not let your children outdoors unattended because of the many harmful people that do live around here. I grew up in a small town about 2 hrs. from here where people did not lock their doors, my friend lives in a town about 3 hrs from here where she did not lock her doors. There weren't the rates of theft and kidnapping like there are here. My children are very educated as to what to do if they were kidnapped and to seek help from any other stranger they can in that event. It's not my children's fear nor their lack of knowledge that I am worried about. They are very well adjusted kids. Thank you for posting this for others that need this information, but this does not pertain to me or my family.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:47 PM

3,380 posts, read 8,492,164 times
There are good neighborhoods in Anchorage and there are bad ones. Stick to South Anchorage south of Abbot or Bayshore area. These are the safest neighborhoods in my opinion. I lived in Lynnwood before and would have been comfortable with my kids playing outside. It is a shame you live in an area where you feel your children are not safe, that must be nerve racking. Please note, Seattle area schools are far superior to Anchorage schools. Good Luck!!

Old 03-05-2010, 10:55 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,082,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelface101 View Post
I have lived in Anchorage and Seattle. Anchorage has a lot of crime for the population. However, it also depends where you live in Anchorage. Rabbit Creek is a really nice area. Many people also live in Eagle River, which is a short commute from Anchorage. Overall, it's an okay city. If you appreciate the outdoors and scenery, it's a nice place to live. If you spend all your time in the city, you will probably think it's more dirty than Portland or Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage