Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2007, 03:05 PM

3 posts, read 8,183 times

Advertisements

hi! my husband and i are moving to alaska in a few years-his father lives in palmer and loves the area.

i would like to stay near anchorage-schools, safety, and family oriented places are a must for me. any suggestions? i am a teacher, so my job is pretty flexible, i just want to move somewhere that is good for kids. my husband is way more wilderness oriented than i am-so we agreed on the anchorage area, but not IN it. any insider info would help.

thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 05:05 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,883,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanfan75 View Post
hi! my husband and i are moving to alaska in a few years-his father lives in palmer and loves the area.

i would like to stay near anchorage-schools, safety, and family oriented places are a must for me. any suggestions? i am a teacher, so my job is pretty flexible, i just want to move somewhere that is good for kids. my husband is way more wilderness oriented than i am-so we agreed on the anchorage area, but not IN it. any insider info would help.

thank you!
Near Anchorage, but NOT in it would be: Eagle River, Birchwood, or Chugiak, just north of Anchorage some 10-20 miles. About a 20-30 minute commute into Anchorage, maybe a little longer, depending on where in Anchorage you are going. Lots of schools, and they ALWAYS need teachers...not a problem finding a teaching job. And....your husband will love this: an hour or two of driving will get you into the wilderness for fishing/hunting/camping. Sounds like a "go" for both of you.

Bud

Old 06-11-2007, 06:35 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,226,380 times
Makes sense to me. Further out is Wasilla-Palmer, but the commute into town in the winter is a real bear of a drive and you wind up late at least once a week.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:32 PM

thank you so much! what about the fairbanks area? family friendly? i suppose schools and safety and my main concern-my husband will be happy anywhere in alaska! i have never traveled there-but i know several people who have been to fairbanks and loved it, but i have heard the same about anchorage. i guess it is a matter of opinion-but id rather have the opinion of those who live there! thanks!

Old 06-11-2007, 10:45 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,410,841 times
Fairbanks is quite a bit smaller than Anchorage but as far as I remember very family oriented. Anchorage is a great city to live in one that offers something for everyone.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:48 PM

thanks for everyones suggestions. i am trying to get as much insider info as possible. i have been reading about homer-kenai-soldotna---most the peninsula. i would like to live near the water-my husband is easy going either way. i read on a post the other day that fairbanks apparently has a drug problem? i havent read that anywhere else i just wasnt sure if there was any validity in that statement. like i said-i want a good place to raise a family. safe-doesnt have to be major metro at all-small towns are good. thanks for your help. we will be visiting next summer and i would like to travel around and see what the peninsula is like.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:04 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,935,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanfan75 View Post
thanks for everyones suggestions. i am trying to get as much insider info as possible. i have been reading about homer-kenai-soldotna---most the peninsula. i would like to live near the water-my husband is easy going either way. i read on a post the other day that fairbanks apparently has a drug problem? i havent read that anywhere else i just wasnt sure if there was any validity in that statement. like i said-i want a good place to raise a family. safe-doesnt have to be major metro at all-small towns are good. thanks for your help. we will be visiting next summer and i would like to travel around and see what the peninsula is like.
Its all about climate. Big differences. Fairbanks, cold , and more cold. Anchorage, more like lower north 48, maybe even warmer. Kenai Pen. Wet , temperate, lack of jobs, beautiful , especially if you are into fishing.
I think Anchorage is a good choice for a first timer. I love the place , and , the Kenai is only 2 hours to the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage