Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 09:04 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,912,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yls View Post
Well DH was pleasantly surprised as he said he was expecting to see it gloomy and run-down in Detroit. granted the airport is on the outskirts and not the inner city....I'm sure it is not pretty at all in Detroit proper now He didn't know what to expect but the airport area was clean, bright and modern. And AA seemed fine too. So I really hope this is just hype. I was very surprised it was only 20 min from the airport to AA. Quite frankly I'd prefer further to have more of a "buffer" from any Detroit issues. But I guess it's convenient for travel at least.
The airport is several "suburbs" away from Detroit proper.

You can't go by how it looked around the airport to determine how it is in Detroit proper.

20 minutes from airport to A2 is really a very good "buffer" from Detroit issues. You have so many communities that are between Detroit and Ann Arbor; good safe communities.
(Plymouth, Canton, Bellevile, Livonia, Wayne, Inkster, Allen Park, Redford, Taylor, Romulus, Dearborn... did I forget anyone??)
Quite frankly, although Ypsilanti is typical urban area with good parts and bad parts... Ypsi would be a bigger factor on A2 than Detroit... since Ypsi borders A2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 01:39 AM

57 posts, read 206,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherjohnson View Post
Timeofseason has one thing right. Ann Arbor certainly IS feeling a runoff from the Detroit sludge. Any of you who actually live there know this well (although many here are in denial). Roving young men can be seen at night throughout AA neighborhoods that were family safe just a few years ago.

Detroit metro is already scorched. Inner city folks are flocking to Ann Arbor - it's Detroit's #1 relocation destination. Sure the college is delaying the cancer. But Ann Arbor is in the shadow of the state's wasteland, it's only natural these people flock to where things are brighter. . .especially since it's just minutes away. Ann Arbor is becoming a tinderbox of desperate savages with nothing to lose. And it gets slightly worse every year, just like Flint used to.

Locals all know it - Ann Arbor's future is bleak, and most people with the resources to do so already left.
Oh my God Run For the hills, Grab your gun were all on our own (Sarcasm LOL)
No actually Ann Arbor is a wonderful place and is absolutely nothing like Detroit I am moving there from Lansing in 20 days and am excited. Its a wonderful place and very safe, I have done extensive research and talked to several people about it (one ex resident) over almost a year (when I got the Chance and thought about it not OCD like) and its safer than even some small towns of only a few thousand people and its top ten on several best in the nation lists for different things, if these people had it right they would not be on these lists here is an example of this Top college sports town? Ann Arbor tops the list of 10 again, magazine says - AnnArbor.com

on this article it says "Forbes puts Ann Arbor at the top because it remains affordable, has a low crime rate, a “little vibe” and big-time college athletics"

Note it says low crime rate

Here is another example
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Ann Arbor the 6th Best place in the Nation to live according to this.

And Another
Best Places to Live 2010 - Top 100: City details: Ann Arbor, MI - from MONEY Magazine

And Another
The Best Places to Raise Your Kids 2009: Michigan - BusinessWeek

And Another
Ann Arbor among top 25 best places to live for the rich and single - AnnArbor.com

And More
America's 50 Greenest Cities | Popular Science
Scroll down and youll find Ann Arbor once again in the top 25

More Still
Best Places For Business And Careers: #65 Ann Arbor MI - Forbes.com

Need I go on and on there are at least 10 other if not more lists that Ann Ann Arbor is among the top in the nation for something on.

If it was like you and Timeofseason described I wouldn't be happily moving there and it wouldn't be on all these lists.

I am aware of the problems in Ypsilanti and there is a high crime rate there but its NOTHING LIKE THAT IN ANN ARBOR.

You guys sound paranoid. Live your lives and enjoy it and if Ann Arbor is not your thing fine but don't bash it and not have any data to back up your claims and plenty of data disproving your claims that makes you look like an idiot. Plenty of people are happy to call it home.

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 05:03 AM..

Old 08-03-2010, 11:28 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,106,704 times
Well, we have to take into account that places like eastern Tennessee and the suburbs of Houston are flourishing with Detroit emigrants as well.

Knoxville, TN, that wonderful sun-belt paradise, has a crime rate 3x that of Ann Arbor in some aspects, and is higher in general in every single category.

So if you're scared of Ann Arbor, I dunno how you'd live in the sun belt.

Also, Ann Arbor has a murder rate that is only 11% of the national average. The only crime above average is arson, which is 2% above the national average... Hardly a statistically significant number.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:00 AM

693 posts, read 2,258,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherjohnson View Post
Timeofseason has one thing right. Ann Arbor certainly IS feeling a runoff from the Detroit sludge. Any of you who actually live there know this well (although many here are in denial). Roving young men can be seen at night throughout AA neighborhoods that were family safe just a few years ago.

Detroit metro is already scorched. Inner city folks are flocking to Ann Arbor - it's Detroit's #1 relocation destination. Sure the college is delaying the cancer. But Ann Arbor is in the shadow of the state's wasteland, it's only natural these people flock to where things are brighter. . .especially since it's just minutes away. Ann Arbor is becoming a tinderbox of desperate savages with nothing to lose. And it gets slightly worse every year, just like Flint used to.

Locals all know it - Ann Arbor's future is bleak, and most people with the resources to do so already left.

Since your so sure of your statements, I'll ask you just as I did Timeofseasons. Can you provide us with any scholarly data suggesting that Detroit residents are relocating to Ann Arbor specifically, and also, we need a link between the crime rate (which is non existent) and the city of Detroit. Do you know these "savages" personally? How come they aren't migrating to Toronto, or just across the river to Windsor, ON? Do they build fires in the woods and come out at night to raise terror?

If your theory of insane savages is accurate, why is Ann Arbor's crime rate so EXTREMELY far below average with no homicides or violent crime? (These must be gentle savages you speak of eh?)

Oh, about the "roving" young men, well I'll double check my neighborhood tonight but for the last nearly 6 years I've never known anything else to happen here but....silence.

You must get around a lot or have a secret service that tracks specialized data? Either way, your amazing at predicting and giving "facts", have you ever thought about fortune telling as a career?

Old 10-03-2010, 05:48 PM
yls yls started this thread

58 posts, read 141,392 times
Ok, got the job offer! (kind of slow because of corporate paperwork, but that's fine). So we're probably going to come up the 1st of November! We're missing the gorgeous spring, summer and fall, just in time for winter, lol Looking for a rental now in the outlying Ann Arbor area. Exciting times!

Old 10-04-2010, 05:07 AM

117 posts, read 263,782 times
congrats! I moved here in June and was pleasantly surprised by how much I love it here...hoping the winter won't be too gloomy.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:04 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Ann Arbor still has the lowest unemployment rate in the state, people. Don't be so discouraging to people with talent who want to stimulate the economy.

I would say, however, that you want a firm job offer before you haul stakes and come out here. Ann Arbor is still in Michigan! (At least until they finally secede and name themselves The United Birkenstocks or something frightening like that.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor