Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2007, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 7,597 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to Michigan next summer. She will hopefully be attending grad school at MSU, and I will be working in Ann Arbor. We have two questions after doing some looking...
First:
For anyone that has had a similar situation, where did you live, or what do you think is a good midpoint as far as ease of commute and availability of housing?

Second:
After looking at the map, Howell looks like a good possibility for the above...any experiences with Howell. Is it easy to rent a housing in such a small community?

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 01:32 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
I work in Brighton and live in Howell. They are full of rental and sale properties going at fire-sale prices. Be sure to shop around, as some landlords are in denial that the insane housing boom we had is now over and will try to charge you the moon and stars. Three years ago they could not slap together new houses fast enough; now people are abandoning their homes in order to find jobs in other states; nothing is selling. Unless you are just passing through, I suggest you consider buying because there are some serious steals in this area right now.

Brighton and Howell have equal travel time to Lansing, but Brighton is a lot closer to Ann Arbor and somewhat closer to Detroit. Brighton is yuppier. Howell on the other hand is much closer geographically and in style to the glittering allure of Fowlerville, home of the county fair and the Bloated Goat Saloon, our county's premier biker bar.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:54 AM

286 posts, read 1,587,250 times
Cliffie had excellent information.

Howell should be very easy to find good rental properties in, but beware and shop around. Brighton is a larger community, more commercialized. Both are within an excellent distance to both AA and MSU. The main Howell exit is just over 30 miles from MSU campus, and Grand River/Brighton is about 15-20 miles from the main veins of AA. Easy commute in either direction from either starting point, but 23 can get very congested.

I know of another couple that is doing this same travel split. She's near AA, he is near Lansing. They live in Stockbridge area. Another place to consider would be Webberville. Where you go completely depends on what kind of community atmosphere you're looking for.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:51 PM

16 posts, read 50,191 times
I dont know if Cliffie was trying to make Brighton sound good, or Howell and Fowlerville sound bad? I moved to Fowlerville about 5 years ago when I met my wife. We lived in Howell and now in Fowlerville. The problem I have with the area is I am a city person so none of these "cities" is enough for me. But that's me. As far as the three areas, they all have their downfalls. If you like to hang out with snobby rude people move to Brighton. Howell seems like a nice place but I think its going downhill. Fowlerville is only good for what it is. If you are looking for acreage I would go to Fowlerville, if your looking for city-ish go to Howell. Just stay away from Brighton. Brighton hasnt realized that the home market is way down. They feel if they keep prices high then they MUST be the elite?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor