Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 08:51 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,835,374 times

Advertisements

This question came to mind last night. Would you describe AA as a town where "everyone knows everyone?" I know that it has a population of a little over 100,000, but was wondering if it was the kinda town where if you are at a bookstore on a lazy Saturday morning, you are bound to run into 2-3 people you know. Or if you were to date someone it is very likely that you have already dated their friend kinda town? Lol. I will be visiting AA in July. I am not familiar with living in a town of a smaller population such as A2. What say ye? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 11:55 AM

302 posts, read 768,936 times
I'm sure it depends on how outgoing of a person you are (and how you define knowing everyone). I don't even know EVERYONE in Sault Ste. Marie (population 14,144). While I'm sure some people in New York and Chicago run into friends all the time at their regular haunts.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:17 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,796,272 times
Only if the bookstore has a "Cheers" bar...

Old 05-23-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoftheNorth View Post
I'm sure it depends on how outgoing of a person you are (and how you define knowing everyone). I don't even know EVERYONE in Sault Ste. Marie (population 14,144). While I'm sure some people in New York and Chicago run into friends all the time at their regular haunts.
This makes sense. I guess it all is relative. I can be very outgoing and bubbly, but I can also be very observant and reserved. Depends on where I am at and who is around. To clarify, I was asking if there was a possibility to go to areas around town to "get away" also in a sense. I typically like spending time with my cozy set of friends that I make or familiar parts of town, but the Aquarian in me sometimes likes to escape to a nice little part of town where I will not bump into anyone I know and just have the chance to explore new places and meet new faces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
Only if the bookstore has a "Cheers" bar...

Lol, I thought I'd add some humor to the title. Glad you caught it.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:18 PM

792 posts, read 2,323,445 times
If you always hang out in the same 3 or 4 places, then you're bound to start seeing the same faces. But Ann Arbor-Ypsi is big enough that your favorite 3-4 places are not the only places to hang out. More relevant, perhaps, is the kind(s) of people you hang out with. If you only hang out where your fellow hipsters (or jocks, or yuppies, or churchgoers, or whatever) hang out, then you'll never escape them; you may even run into them in Detroit or Chicago. If you are willing to move in different circles, and go where they go, then you won't have to see the same people all the time. On the other hand, the more people you know, and the more diverse they are then, the more likely it is that you will always see someone you know wherever you go. But at least it won't always be the same someones.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuebor View Post
If you always hang out in the same 3 or 4 places, then you're bound to start seeing the same faces. But Ann Arbor-Ypsi is big enough that your favorite 3-4 places are not the only places to hang out. More relevant, perhaps, is the kind(s) of people you hang out with. If you only hang out where your fellow hipsters (or jocks, or yuppies, or churchgoers, or whatever) hang out, then you'll never escape them; you may even run into them in Detroit or Chicago. If you are willing to move in different circles, and go where they go, then you won't have to see the same people all the time. On the other hand, the more people you know, and the more diverse they are then, the more likely it is that you will always see someone you know wherever you go. But at least it won't always be the same someones.
Got it. Thank you, you broke this down for me very well. Still can't wait to visit!!!

Old 05-24-2012, 10:46 PM

50 posts, read 127,017 times
I've lived in Ann Arbor for 24 years. At larger public events like Summer Festival, a big concert at Hill, a UM basketball game, Taste of Ann Arbor, etc. I can expect to run into someone I know or at least see someone I recognize. But if I am just going out to dinner or a movie it's a lot less likely. It's not that small a town.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:50 PM

50 posts, read 127,017 times
By the way, Ann Arbor is following national trends with regards to bookstores - there are only a couple still in business, which of course might increase your chances of seeing someone you know there on a lazy Saturday morning.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet life View Post
I've lived in Ann Arbor for 24 years. At larger public events like Summer Festival, a big concert at Hill, a UM basketball game, Taste of Ann Arbor, etc. I can expect to run into someone I know or at least see someone I recognize. But if I am just going out to dinner or a movie it's a lot less likely. It's not that small a town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet life View Post
By the way, Ann Arbor is following national trends with regards to bookstores - there are only a couple still in business, which of course might increase your chances of seeing someone you know there on a lazy Saturday morning.
All great information! Thank you so much! ;-)

Old 06-04-2012, 07:59 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTN2A2 View Post
This question came to mind last night. Would you describe AA as a town where "everyone knows everyone?" I know that it has a population of a little over 100,000, but was wondering if it was the kinda town where if you are at a bookstore on a lazy Saturday morning, you are bound to run into 2-3 people you know. Or if you were to date someone it is very likely that you have already dated their friend kinda town? Lol. I will be visiting AA in July. I am not familiar with living in a town of a smaller population such as A2. What say ye? Thanks!!
Not so much. And keep in mind that the bookstores are all but gone from A2. Borders, Shaman Drum, MI Bk and Supply, all closed. There is one independent bookstore on the west edge of town in a strip mall, and a large Barnes and Noble, but that's it. So I wouldn't count on bookstores where you run into people you might know. A huge portion of A2 is students and a very transient population, so you really don't run into "locals" unless you have been here a long time, and even then, it's rare. Most of the city itself is either students or higher end residential areas with bigger lots. Not that dense, other than the student areas and student high rises that are now dominating the downtown, with more to come. If you are a student, you will like it here, and probably run into people you know a lot. If you are not a student, you would not have to worry about dating someone's friend, etc. It's bigger than that, and really spread out once you leave the immediate downtown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor