Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 09:59 AM

11 posts, read 29,822 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: link removed, advertising
[/b]

Ann Arbor to Chicago in under five hours!

Midwest Entertrainment is here to create an affordable way to travel to and from Chicago from hot-spot Michigan locations that is not only faster than the traditional train or driving, but is more enjoyable with music, food, and drinks for riders.

Weekend only train service aimed at college and 20-30ish market. Train has DJ and full food and beverages service with club cars, bar cars and large coach seating.

Last edited by Yac; 05-14-2013 at 02:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 07:02 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,271,575 times
I don't believe private companies have the right of way on Michigan railways - so you would still need to yield for freight trains, driving up the time. Interesting concept - we'll see how it goes - I can't imagine college kids going to Chicago more than 2-3 times/year just for a change of scenery/big city experience. I'm struggling to see what there is to do in Chicago you can't do in Metro Detroit.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:22 AM

11 posts, read 29,822 times
The state of Michigan owns the entire rail line from Dearborn to the state line of Indiana. No need to take a back seat to freight ops. Norfolk Southern sold that line last year.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:49 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
If this was truly the case, then why do so many young people (from Michigan) now live in Chicago?

That being said, they should expand their target market to include all types of folks that just want to enjoy the ride (think 21-35, or 21-45 even). Even folks with families that happen to be leaving town for the weekend without their kids and basically pre-gaming on the way to Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
I don't believe private companies have the right of way on Michigan railways - so you would still need to yield for freight trains, driving up the time. Interesting concept - we'll see how it goes - I can't imagine college kids going to Chicago more than 2-3 times/year just for a change of scenery/big city experience. I'm struggling to see what there is to do in Chicago you can't do in Metro Detroit.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:53 PM

389 posts, read 469,900 times
Quote:

Old 05-12-2013, 06:58 PM

494 posts, read 804,154 times
Quote:
The state now owns THIS line which ties into the high speed rail.

Hopefully the city's along it ( Ann Arbor, Jackson, Battle Creek, and Kalamazoo ) take advantage of it and do some promoting of their own.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:24 PM

I know there is room for more growth in the market, particularly in the summertime. Amtrak can be packed to the gills during its summertime weekend runs between Michigan & Chicago. Heck, it's super busy during certain times during the school year as well (esp. near holiday times). There are times when tickets are literally sold out on Sundays and you have to keep checking Amtrak's website again & again and hope that a ticket frees up. On such weekends, Megabus is typically sold out as well. Flights are pretty expensive last minute and not quite as relaxing. Speaking of flights, Lakeshore Express started a luxury turboprop flight for weekend service between Oakland County Airport (MI) & Chicago's Midway Airport.

So to sum things up, this is one of the busiest domestic weekend travel corridors in the Midwest!

Quote:

Old 05-13-2013, 06:40 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,271,575 times
Which is why the OP had to resort to advertising his train on an internet message board. lol

Old 06-06-2013, 08:02 PM

They're trying to command way too high of a price & their website looks like it's from the stone age. The poor marketing combined with a lack of proper execution & high prices will probably doom the service. This country hasn't seen any good private sector rail service since probably the mid-20th century & that's a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor