Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 01:51 PM

16 posts, read 73,083 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm sure you have 20 threads like this a week..and I've read through a lot of them... A lot of good stuff, but didn't quite speak to my situation.

Here's my situation..
I live in denver (and love it!), I've got a good job, and some amazing friends.

I just received a job offer (more money, better title, more visibility) to move to Ann Arbor

I'm originally from Michigan and it would be great to see my family more often.

I'm a huge Detroit sports and U of M fan (though I never went there)

I've also always dreamed of getting a MBA from Michigan.

I've been going back and forth the last week and I've talked myself into and out of both decisions.

Really for me it comes down to I've built this great life in Denver that would be hard to give up, but if I don't move back now I probably never will.

I generally make friends easily, but I've always been in cities where I fit in..being 30 in an undergrad city though has me nervous. Also, the rumor is tha the culture of UofM has been pretty cliquish/snobbish..truth or rumors?

I'd love to hear anyone's thought...I've got to make a decision by the end of the week..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 04:44 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Well, if you want to come back to Michigan, Ann Arbor is one of the better choices. It's not just all undergrads there; there are plenty of grad students and other age groups. I'm not sure what interests you have, but there are plenty of activities and groups to get involved with. I guess your main decision is simply if you're up to leaving Denver.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:42 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
You are originally from here (i.e. have a base of friends/family), have an opportunity to advance professionally with a more visible role and more pay. Seems like a no brainer to me. People are friendly everywhere - so you'll just as easily make friends in Michigan and you'll still have the old friends in CO. Denver is only 2 hrs away on a plane for ski vacations and you can get out there 3-4 times a year to visit the old friends. Take the job, embrace life and give it a couple years. You can even get the evening MBA from Michigan - it's much easier for acceptance than the full time program. Go after that degree you've always dreamed. If worse comes to worse, you can always move back. But to not take a great opportunity because of fear... man I'd hate to live life with regrets... Kudos on your new job!

Old 06-12-2013, 07:51 AM

58 posts, read 121,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt2970 View Post
Also, the rumor is tha the culture of UofM has been pretty cliquish/snobbish..truth or rumors?
U of M has a very competitive academic environment. The culture is similar to that of other elite public and private universities - students (undergraduate and graduate) are very goal driven, focused, and want to do really well. Levels of snobbery do exist - most definitely. But in my experiences, a lot of the students are pretty cool and easy going. The proportion of students who perform poorly is very small, compared to the vast majority who perform rather well - this more than anything is the one main "vibe" you'll get if you become a student. You'll be in the minority if you expect an easy ride and partying all the time. If you're not used to that type of climate (not sure where you went to undergrad) it can be somewhat of a culture shock.

I didn't attend the business school while I was at U of M (I was in Kinesiology), so I can't speak for that particular program, but the school is known for being pretty insulated on campus. It has a lot of money, and a lot of the students who attend the B-School do as well (this goes for a lot of U of M students in general though). I had a friend who got their BBA at the B-School (not wealthy by any means) - and he would talk sometimes about how their would be minor clashes over small things like dress attire in the classroom (he couldn't afford to buy higher end professional clothing) - but he had a good experience in general. Another person I know got their MBA from Michigan and enjoyed the experience too.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:28 AM

89 posts, read 194,320 times
Seems like a great opportunity for you! I would miss my Detroit sports, so I'm sure you would love to come back to that.

Ann Arbor has a great vibe to it, even if you're not a student. I have plenty of professional friends that love it (late 20's and early 30's). Much like you said, if you want to come back, now would be the time. I would really take the time and think it over and ask yourself if it's what you really want (Denver is an amazing city too!).

One hiccup I could potentially see is the MBA program. Obviously, I don't know your credentials, but UM has a very selective program and could be hard to get accepted. I would just make sure you hit all their levels of acceptance and can get in. It would really hurt to move that far, get excited for their program and then not get in. There are a lot of MBA programs in the Detroit metro area, but UM has the best.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:49 PM

792 posts, read 2,324,532 times
OP: If it's a better job and the only thing that is holding you back is the attractions of Denver, then take the job and move to Ann Arbor.

You're enjoying your life in Denver. But you're single, and probably many of your friends are too. When they get married and start having kids, they will recede from your life. Not completely, but the way things are now is not how things will always be. And what about you -- do you want to be single forever? If not, where do you want to be (both geographically and in your career) when you are ready to settle down and have a family of your own?

Whether you stay or go, things will change.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:13 PM

13 posts, read 24,828 times
Ann Arbor is such a cute place to live with really nice condos. There are a lot of grad students and professionals in the area so I don't think you have to worry about your age. I lived in Detroit for half a year and spent every single weekend in Ann Arbor. The people are super friendly, smart, and interesting. I'm thinking of moving back there myself. I think this is a no brainer. Take the better job. Just think - you'll have more friends! Congratulations.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:15 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
Ann Arbor is full of grad students, law students and medical students. You should not feel out of place at all.

The MBA program is competitive. But if you are willing to move for the job and take a chance with MBA admission, AA would be a great place to live.

You will love the football games at the Big House. Nothing compares.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:31 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,937,011 times
Quote:
You can even get the evening MBA from Michigan - it's much easier for acceptance than the full time program.
I haven't applied to any MBA programs in 35 years, but back when I did the evening program had much tougher admission standards than the day program. Simply due to the higher number of interested students and the small number of evening acceptance slots available.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:33 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
Yeah things have changed significantly since you were there - now the evening programs at most schools are the "cash cows" and have less stringent admission criteria as they want to get seats filled with corporate reimbursed dollars. In addition, there are separate career planning & placement activities for the day kids (they get the good ones) vs. the part time/night kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor