Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 08:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,280 times

Advertisements

We found out early last week that my husband will be taking a job in Canton, MI. We have less than three weeks to pack and move from Wichita, KS. His company is flying us up the 21st-23rd of June to find a place to live, but I am anxious to get some places lined up. Could anyone recommend a rental agent to work with to locate some possible homes? We're open to anything within about 30 minutes of Canton, but I would love to live in Ann Arbor. We have 4 children, the oldest of which will be starting kindergarten this fall, so good schools are important. We'd like to stay around or under $1000/month.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 08:38 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,157 times
The housing market is twice as expensive in Ann Arbor as it is in Canton. You're better off getting a place in Canton, Northville, Livonia or Plymouth. All have great schools, plenty of parks and lots of family friendly activities. Then you can drive to Ann Arbor if you want for special events/dinners etc - It's only about 20 minutes. Metro Parent is a great online magazine for happenings in the area. Metro Parent | Southeast Michigan Family Events, Parenting Advice and Resource Directories Kudos on the new gig and welcome to the Mitten!

Old 06-10-2013, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 3,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
The housing market is twice as expensive in Ann Arbor as it is in Canton. You're better off getting a place in Canton, Northville, Livonia or Plymouth. All have great schools, plenty of parks and lots of family friendly activities. Then you can drive to Ann Arbor if you want for special events/dinners etc - It's only about 20 minutes. Metro Parent is a great online magazine for happenings in the area. Metro Parent | Southeast Michigan Family Events, Parenting Advice and Resource Directories Kudos on the new gig and welcome to the Mitten!
Thank you for that resource! I have been looking all over the areas you mentioned, I would love to be in Canton itself since that is where hubby's job is, but I am having no luck at all finding rentals that meet our needs! I'd love any suggestions of websites to look at or people to call. CL has been an exercise in frustration with all of the spammers.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:10 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,157 times
Canton is a pretty desirable area (very family friendly) and at that price point - it might be hard to get a 3BR (I presume that's a minimum). Livonia is probably your best bet. Good schools - E Hines Drive is great for running/biking - and you can find quite a few ranch style homes/bungaloes on CL for rent in the 800-1100 range in Livonia. I know you hate CL - but it's the most common site these days everywhere. Another option, which I used before when I was renting in a new location, is to post under the "Housing Wanted" section. Type in the criteria you want (BR, location etc) and a target price -then everyone who contacts you already knows your criteria and has a place for you - makes planning your visit more efficient - that running down and replying to 200 ads - that gets old after the fourth one =) Here you outsource some of the legwork and let interested people contact you, instead of you freaking out.

PS - Livonia, Canton, Plymouth, Northville etc are all considered suburbs of Detroit because they're in Wayne County- so you'll have more luck in the Detroit section of sites as opposed to Ann Arbor (even though it is closer to AA in miles).

Old 06-12-2013, 08:30 PM

768 posts, read 1,104,111 times
Go with Plymouth or northville (first choice) followed by canton. Livonia schools are not as good - they are ok. Plymouth and northville are historic areas with amazing downtowns and top schools. Lots of festivals and events on weekends in these towns...

I grew up in these areas. Good luck

Old 07-07-2013, 02:20 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
FYI, kids in Northville complain there's nothing to do there but go shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor