Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 12:49 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaMove123 View Post
Go to Michigan State - East lansing is great! And has a nightlife -- Take it from a MSU grad.

Did you major in agriculture or veterinary science?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 11:11 AM

58 posts, read 138,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Did you major in agriculture or veterinary science?
No - Accounting.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,185 times
I grew up in Ypsilanti and went back last year for a vist.... sad sad sad ... dirty, roads in bad shape, neighborhoods look shady at best. I would NOT want to raise children here... esp. near ford blvd, west willow, south side, lake in the woods (which used to be exclusive) rawsonville road- I am not sure how it would be more towards Ann Arbor, but Ypsi is just dirty, drug infested and sad.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:57 AM

55 posts, read 153,102 times
I agree with postaboutthis I also grew up in ypsilanti and it was bad 20 years ago, It has not improved :O(

Old 04-06-2011, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,054 times
where is the worst street in Ypsilanti, or the Dirty South Blood area?

Old 04-09-2011, 08:11 PM

50 posts, read 140,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarkill585 View Post
where is the worst street in Ypsilanti, or the Dirty South Blood area?

Theres really no "one worser street" in ypsilanti, but the first thing i think of when you say worst street is MacArthur Blvd(The Green). Honestly, in the summertime it makes the southside look like a playground. Cops are ALWAYS here in the summer(obviously i live in the green, been the token white boy here for 3 years! lol).

It varies though, one year west willow is bad, then the green, then the southside etc., but the green and west willow have had the most crime and drug stuff the past few years.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:45 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaMove123 View Post
Go to Michigan State - East lansing is great! And has a nightlife -- Take it from a MSU grad.
I've been to East Lansing. I think it is a very good college town, easily up to Big Ten standards. Of course, as a campus, MSU is both big leagues and beautiful at the same time (and, for what it is worth, I find the ag jokes about MSU rather ridiculous in these modern times; MSU long ago became your typical full service flagship university, along with U-M, with the full range in curricula, including law and medicine. It certainly transends the other "State" schools like Iowa State, Okla St, K-State, Miss St, Colo St, Ore St, etc. which are in more agrarian states and remain closer to their agriculatural and technological landgrant roots than the more inclusive MSU, which again as noted, is more like U-M, UW, U of I and other such B10 universities).

I realize that Michigan is a state with as an iconic a college town as you can get in Ann Arbor, but I suspect in a state without an A2 or the few that are like it, EL would stand out as a super college town.

That, I admit, is a Chicagoan's perspective, so I don't know if Michiganders would agree about my assessment of EL.

And sorry if this is off topic....but it was in response to an observation about EL/MSU.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:15 AM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,142,908 times
Yspi is perfect for a college student on a fix income. I prefer Ann arbor but it has a price tag along with it. Yspi does have lots of affordible housing, rentals, and yes night life. maybe not the Necto but they have tons of comic shops, coffee shops, eateries, sushi, restaurants, and specialty shops as well as pubs and bars. Ann Arbor rentals as poster listed above is far higher (I myself being a Ann Arbor landlord)

I wouldn't write off a perfectly fine educational facility based on the party quota. Decide whats best fits your needs. If affordability is key then Ypsilanti is fine. If you want a university with a name for itself to look grand on your resume then Ann Arbor is is it.

Added note Yspi is not pedestrian friendly like down town campus of Ann Arbor is.

East Lansing I attended. Bath or Okemos is the area to reside. Actual city I hated. If I knew now what i knew about A2 when I attended college I would have choose A2 in a heart beat. Grand rapids I like more then EL personally. Grand rapids has night life, less cost of living then Ann Arbor but not by much. A2 and GR both have a rich cultural area as well diverse educational facility where as EL was focus on sports. However there tons of bars and crime to go along with it. EL makes yspi look like tame . In defense the school itself is a great school and I had great teachers. The dorms were small, tight, and extremely noisy. So if your a focused student you won't want to do dorms. EL is also pedestrian friendly. So is A2 and GR.

Added note both A2 and GR have smaller colleges and community colleges as well as the universities in a compact area which makes the campus feel massive.

Again it will be what you want out of your experience which school would best suit you. out of the choice if you picking cost A2, then EL would be the more expensive choices.

Last edited by klmquiroz; 04-13-2011 at 10:27 AM..

Old 04-14-2011, 10:03 AM

50 posts, read 140,982 times
dont get it twisted, Ypsi is a nice place to live, but if u dont got hair on your chest and arent use to stuff you see in detroit then you might wanna stay on the westside of washtenaw county(ann arbor area of the county).

Old 04-16-2011, 11:11 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,819,667 times
Ypsi is pretty sketchy as far as neighborhoods, even though some may look ok as you drive through. A few blocks can look good, but then the next block is a disaster. I don't feel it's a safe town at all. I visit friends there and always leave before dark. My friends live in a semi-safe residential area in the city, but as I sit in their living room and look out of the window, I see thugs walking and driving by all times of the day, who obviously don't live on that block, but who are cruising for who knows what. Cars with very loud music drive around all neighborhoods and it's only a matter of time before houses are broken into. VERY high crime rate. Downtown is only "good" for a block or two and people walking around are very sketchy. I feel unsafe anywhere downtown, even during the day. Cheap real estate but high property taxes, many businesses are closed. Crumbling roads, major potholes and little snow removal. Of course, that last sentence applies to many areas of Michigan, including Ann Arbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor