Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 07:54 AM

5 posts, read 6,071 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've been offered a job that will require relocation from Chicago to Ann Arbor. The timing will put me looking for an apartment when all the students are returning. I'm imagining this will really limit options. I am not sure yet what the relocation company will provide, but I am trying to get a head start on planning.

I'm looking for apartment complex recommendations (or houses are fine too).

- I will be living in the apartment while my husband stays in Chicago working his current job until the house sells. That can take a month, it can take 6 months. In this market, who knows? But when the house sells, I'll be looking to buy a home and don't want to be stuck in a long lease. So I'm looking for a managed property with some flexibility
- pets. I have a dog and 2 cats I'd like to stay with me to make my Chicago home easier to show.
- area. I'm in my late 30s and have grown weary of student behavior. I really want to be in an area away from the university, but hopefully still walkable

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 10:15 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
ttt. gl op. Ann Arbor is in my final 4 relocation cities.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:35 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
As a working adult, your housing options are likely to be very different from those open to a bunch of starving students who'll need 8 roommates to survive in a 2-bedroom apt. The problem with moving there is the price range! I would start calling apt managers and asking what their population is like -- student or non?

98% of the AA-Ypsi area is accessible by bus or bike even if walking is not an option. Parking is horrific there so consider leaving the car with your hubby. In general, I would look north of Plymouth Road to stay as clear as possible of student living.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
As a working adult, your housing options are likely to be very different from those open to a bunch of starving students who'll need 8 roommates to survive in a 2-bedroom apt. The problem with moving there is the price range! I would start calling apt managers and asking what their population is like -- student or non?

98% of the AA-Ypsi area is accessible by bus or bike even if walking is not an option. Parking is horrific there so consider leaving the car with your hubby. In general, I would look north of Plymouth Road to stay as clear as possible of student living.
Do you like living in AA overall? How is the job market and do many AA citizens commute to Detroit for work?

Old 08-09-2013, 09:54 PM

87 posts, read 255,027 times
I was just in AA area looking as I just accepted a job in Livingston Co. and I am moving back to the area. After speaking with a few managers at apartment complexes on the westside/Dexter/Scio, they are all booked up now, but it sounded like in October maybe they might have some vacancies. After poking around, I just decided it wasn't worth the time to hunt for an apartment in AA as I have to be back in Michigan before the 26th to start work. In my opinion, having lived in AA once already, that your options are limited unless you're looking in the 1500-2k/mo. price range. Anything less than that will put you closer to students in complexes and they will be subpar. Ann Arbor is the an awful city to try and find a decent place to live unless you have a huge budget, or you are a student.

I live in a very trendy and popular part of the Milwaukee area and even here it is easier to find nicer, safer, better managed apartments.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliteration View Post
I was just in AA area looking as I just accepted a job in Livingston Co. and I am moving back to the area. After speaking with a few managers at apartment complexes on the westside/Dexter/Scio, they are all booked up now, but it sounded like in October maybe they might have some vacancies. After poking around, I just decided it wasn't worth the time to hunt for an apartment in AA as I have to be back in Michigan before the 26th to start work. In my opinion, having lived in AA once already, that your options are limited unless you're looking in the 1500-2k/mo. price range. Anything less than that will put you closer to students in complexes and they will be subpar. Ann Arbor is the an awful city to try and find a decent place to live unless you have a huge budget, or you are a student.

I live in a very trendy and popular part of the Milwaukee area and even here it is easier to find nicer, safer, better managed apartments.
Man, when I look at craigs and trulia there seem to be a ton of nice apts for under 1000, and I mean 2 brs. Maybe inventory isn't updated.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:09 PM

87 posts, read 255,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Man, when I look at craigs and trulia there seem to be a ton of nice apts for under 1000, and I mean 2 brs. Maybe inventory isn't updated.
Funny thing, I don't think it is. I saw an ad on craigslist for an apartment and visited the place an hour later and they said they don't have anything open and wouldn't until October. And I'm sure there are ones that are open. I guess just having lived there, I'm probably more picky since most of the complexes in town I don't think are all that nice, in spite of what they look like online.

If you're finding non-complex 2 bdrms under 1000 in AA that aren't in student populated then hop on those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor