Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 10:39 AM

3 posts, read 3,891 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We have lived in Chicago, in Lincoln Park, since 2000. We've worked here, met here, and had our toddler son here. We really love it.

Recently, we received an attractive offer to relocate to AA. Neither one of us is from the area, but we've both visited a few times. Everything about the offer sounds great, but we're worried it would be a big culture shock for us.

I've lived in numerous places, so I'm not too worried about myself, but my husband has always lived in a big city (with the exception of graduate school). Can anyone recommend an area where we'll have a bit of the following?

- Good elementary school district
- 10-15 minute drive to downtown
- Interesting restaurants, bars, etc. and boutiques that are not all big-box/chain
- Houses that have character in a neighborhood with similar people (diverse, others who have moved for a job not affiliated with the university, families with young children)

Maybe I'm asking too much, but if we can get close, I think it will make things easier for the transition.

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 11:45 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Good luck girl!!

Old 09-27-2013, 11:04 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,888,677 times
There's almost no place in Washtenaw county, except Ypsi, that won't meet your criteria.

OK, it'll take about 30 minutes to get from Chelsea to downtown Ann Arbor. I commuted to numerous places downtown, on south campus, and on north campus from Dexter and it always took between 10 and 20 minutes (unless I took the scenic route)

Old 09-29-2013, 04:08 AM

189 posts, read 643,317 times
I recently relocated to AA from Chicago myself. Just a word to the wise - the housing market here is INSANE. We've been looking for houses that meet the same criteria as you, and it's a challenge. I'm putting off my search until the spring because inventory is so low and what does come up goes quickly and for over asking with multiple offers. I've lost out on 4 homes in bidding situations in 6 weeks, and all my offers were well above asking price. AA has it's own housing bubble. Be prepared to rent, but at this time of year, the rentals are basically leftovers since this city runs most leases August - July. You will still be able to find something that meets your criteria though, because it is very quaint here compared to Chicago. Everything is only 10-15 minutes to downtown, restaurants, shops, etc.

Good luck!

Old 09-29-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayRing View Post
I recently relocated to AA from Chicago myself. Just a word to the wise - the housing market here is INSANE. We've been looking for houses that meet the same criteria as you, and it's a challenge. I'm putting off my search until the spring because inventory is so low and what does come up goes quickly and for over asking with multiple offers. I've lost out on 4 homes in bidding situations in 6 weeks, and all my offers were well above asking price. AA has it's own housing bubble. Be prepared to rent, but at this time of year, the rentals are basically leftovers since this city runs most leases August - July. You will still be able to find something that meets your criteria though, because it is very quaint here compared to Chicago. Everything is only 10-15 minutes to downtown, restaurants, shops, etc.

Good luck!
Do you like AA so far? Can you do a comparison of both cities for us?

Old 09-29-2013, 02:52 PM

Well I haven't been here long enough to give a true comparison. Plus, as cultured and hip as AA can be, it isn't fair to try to compare it to a Chicago.

What I have found so far: people are for the most part very friendly here (there are always outliers, I met one business owner who was surely and unpleasant, which I quickly reported on Yelp). It's much easier to strike up conversations with random strangers here, which is one of the hardest parts about living in a new city.

The traffic on game day is no joke. It's gridlock and you cannot move if you live near the big house. I have no interest in U of M football, but I decided to start going to the games just because it seems to be the only thing I can do during game days.

The rest of the time, it is a breeze to get around. Even driving out to Dexter or Saline is 15 minutes or less. I'm making my first trip to Ypsilanti tonight but my traffic app predicts 15 minutes (of course!)

It is still a smaller town. There are things I took forgranted in Chicago that requires a trip to Detroit here, like concerts and sporting events (sorry AA, I'm just not a college sports fan).

The bus system is probably top notch for a city of this size. However, it's a bit of a shock coming from Chicago. It stops running very early. For my husband and me, the CTA was our designated driver. Now we will either have to come in very early, or one of us only has one glass of wine with dinner.

Fun shops and restaurants downtown and in Kerrytown. Do they rival Alinea or Tru in Chicago? Of course not, different scene here. But there are places here that would fit in just fine in Lincoln Park. This isn't the type of smaller town where you'd find yourself eating out at Applebee's. But they have one if that's your preference!

There are many farmers markets here, and they are superior to the ones in Chicago. Being closer to the farms does that. I've been enjoying the fresh produce and eggs, as well as the provenance of knowing where they came from. In Chicago, most farmers market stalls are often middlemen who have stocked from several farms, or the leftovers that weren't sold to the restaurant trade.

Lots to see and explore. I think it'll take time to learn everything.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:29 PM

Default Thank you!

I really appreciate the time you took to thoroughly address my post. I agree the two cities cannot be compared, but it's good to know the facts about the housing, etc.

Thanks again! I'll keep you updated!

Old 09-29-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
There's almost no place in Washtenaw county, except Ypsi, that won't meet your criteria.

OK, it'll take about 30 minutes to get from Chelsea to downtown Ann Arbor. I commuted to numerous places downtown, on south campus, and on north campus from Dexter and it always took between 10 and 20 minutes (unless I took the scenic route)
Scorpio - thanks so much for the input.

I appreciate very much.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayRing View Post
Well I haven't been here long enough to give a true comparison. Plus, as cultured and hip as AA can be, it isn't fair to try to compare it to a Chicago.

What I have found so far: people are for the most part very friendly here (there are always outliers, I met one business owner who was surely and unpleasant, which I quickly reported on Yelp). It's much easier to strike up conversations with random strangers here, which is one of the hardest parts about living in a new city.

The traffic on game day is no joke. It's gridlock and you cannot move if you live near the big house. I have no interest in U of M football, but I decided to start going to the games just because it seems to be the only thing I can do during game days.

The rest of the time, it is a breeze to get around. Even driving out to Dexter or Saline is 15 minutes or less. I'm making my first trip to Ypsilanti tonight but my traffic app predicts 15 minutes (of course!)

It is still a smaller town. There are things I took forgranted in Chicago that requires a trip to Detroit here, like concerts and sporting events (sorry AA, I'm just not a college sports fan).

The bus system is probably top notch for a city of this size. However, it's a bit of a shock coming from Chicago. It stops running very early. For my husband and me, the CTA was our designated driver. Now we will either have to come in very early, or one of us only has one glass of wine with dinner.

Fun shops and restaurants downtown and in Kerrytown. Do they rival Alinea or Tru in Chicago? Of course not, different scene here. But there are places here that would fit in just fine in Lincoln Park. This isn't the type of smaller town where you'd find yourself eating out at Applebee's. But they have one if that's your preference!

There are many farmers markets here, and they are superior to the ones in Chicago. Being closer to the farms does that. I've been enjoying the fresh produce and eggs, as well as the provenance of knowing where they came from. In Chicago, most farmers market stalls are often middlemen who have stocked from several farms, or the leftovers that weren't sold to the restaurant trade.

Lots to see and explore. I think it'll take time to learn everything.

Thanks for taking the time. As I said, I'm going to relocate in June and AA and Chicago would be on my list, though I wouldn't live in Chicago in the beginning. I would likely live in a suburb of Chicago and commute in.

AA worries me because it does seem small, but are there jobs around the metro area? I know there aren't a lot of Fortune 500 companies, but does the job market seem comparable to Chicago?

Old 09-29-2013, 09:28 PM

I can't speak to the job market because I've only been here for a short time, and I came here for a job opportunity. No idea how it is for various career opportunities.

Find a good job, then determine if the location is somewhere you could handle. Much easier than choosing a city and then winding up having to settle for a job that makes you miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor