Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 09:26 PM

3 posts, read 4,531 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are probably going to be relocating to Ann Arbor in the late summer (late July / early August). While many other threads on this forum have been very useful for describing life in Ann Arbor and the best areas in which to live (thank you to all of those contributors!), I had even more basic questions. (Details about what we're specifically looking for are below the questions.)

Does anyone have a sense of when we need to start looking for an apartment? Is it going to be difficult if we visit in a month or so? Everything I've read online seems to indicate that housing for the school year is reserved over a year in advance, but maybe that's only student housing?

Second, how do people find rentals in Ann Arbor? Craigslist? Newspapers? Just looking at individual apartment complexes one at a time? Realtors/brokers? If the last, does anyone have any recommendations for trustworthy realtors?

Some details: we are looking to rent an apartment or condo for the first year or so. We're in our early 30s and looking for something fairly "nice" with 2- or 3-bedrooms, e.g., not with undergraduates... and I really want my own washer/dryer for the first time! We're willing to pay up to, say, $2500/month if that's absolutely necessary, but obviously would prefer something cheaper. We would be working at the university, central campus, and would prefer a place within walking distance, but are willing to have a short commute by car if necessary.

Of course, I'd appreciate it if anyone had any specific suggestions for us. My internet sleuthing has turned up several new "luxury" apartment complexes in downtown, but I can't tell if they mostly cater to groups of students. Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 04:08 PM

33 posts, read 51,217 times
I know most of the new luxury places are student geared, but I think the Varsity is trying to reach hip young professionals. I unfortunately live in student geared housing by north campus and while its mainly graduate students, it sucks and is sub par. Your budget is definitely more than enough for an apartment that's a 10 min drive from campus. We had toured some apartments down on Eisenhower that were nice, had washer and dryer, 2 bedrooms, and ~1500/month. The one we liked was called Signature Club. They had a bus line that ran to central campus, but my husband needs to get to North and he didn't want a more involved commute by bus.

Craigslist is good for finding apartments that aren't student geared because the student geared ones are in your face with their posting.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:16 PM

Thanks, SchellBelle! I'll check out the places you mentioned. I see that Craigslist certainly advertises "UM student housing" very explicitly, so I'll try to avoid those!

Old 02-26-2014, 07:51 AM

4,576 posts, read 4,827,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl49 View Post
Does anyone have a sense of when we need to start looking for an apartment? Is it going to be difficult if we visit in a month or so? Everything I've read online seems to indicate that housing for the school year is reserved over a year in advance, but maybe that's only student housing?

Second, how do people find rentals in Ann Arbor? Craigslist? Newspapers? Just looking at individual apartment complexes one at a time? Realtors/brokers? If the last, does anyone have any recommendations for trustworthy realtors?
Only apartment by campus are signed up 12 months in advanced. I've never had a problem finding apartments outside of downtown at any time of the year, even during the semesters .

I've usually stuck with visiting complexes. Maybe rent.com . IMHO people don't use realtors (pronounced real-a-tor in the Michigan dialect ) for rentals in Michigan.

$2500 will get you the best of the best. A few years ago, you could find 2B apartments for about $1000. I'd say 90% of apartments fall in the $1100-1500 range from a quick search

Old 02-27-2014, 10:28 AM

Thank you for your response, scorpio516. That makes me a lot less worried about availability, and I'll start searching for complexes to visit.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:13 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,415,428 times
2500? Wow.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:19 AM

15 posts, read 16,745 times
Housing is out there and with the market the way it is you may be able to find a rental house. I would start looking now and get something secured instead of waiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
View detailed profiles of: