Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 09:16 PM

223 posts, read 312,306 times

Advertisements

Lake Erie isn't far, but the section of Lake Erie between Detroit and Toledo is the most polluted part of the most polluted Great Lake.

I also don't really trust Lake St. Clair or any bodies of water within the immediate Detroit area.

Are there any other options for swimming and boating within about 30-45 minutes of Ann Arbor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 02:21 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,683,418 times
Do you need it to be a huge lake like Erie or St. Clair? There are skedillions of smaller ones all over Michigan that are fine, many of them very close to you, although I really suggest you wait about 9 more weeks before hitting the beach:

Beach Listings - Pure Michigan Travel

Old 01-17-2015, 04:06 PM

223 posts, read 312,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Do you need it to be a huge lake like Erie or St. Clair? There are skedillions of smaller ones all over Michigan that are fine, many of them very close to you, although I really suggest you wait about 9 more weeks before hitting the beach:

Beach Listings - Pure Michigan Travel
It doesn't have to be huge like those, but at least something you can take a boat on. There are several lakes near Madison, WI that I think are good for a size comparison. I would think if there was something as large as those lakes within 30-45 minutes of AA I would've noticed on a map, but maybe I missed something.

What's the biggest inland lake within that 30-45 minute range?

Old 01-18-2015, 05:31 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,131,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Guy View Post
Lake Erie isn't far, but the section of Lake Erie between Detroit and Toledo is the most polluted part of the most polluted Great Lake.

I also don't really trust Lake St. Clair or any bodies of water within the immediate Detroit area.
Stop hatin' on Detroit! If these people can get in the beach at Belle Isle, I am sure your family can to!

Click image for larger version

Name:	belle_isle_beach.png
Views:	1935
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	143342

Click image for larger version

Name:	belle_isle2.jpg
Views:	1944
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	143343

To answer your question, Maybe the biggest inland lake near A2 is the one at Kensington Metropark (Kent Lake) that is 1,200 acres - it has 2 beaches and boat access.

Also, in Whitmore Lake, a community about 15-20 minutes north of Ann Arbor, there is the Independence Lake County Park, with a water park and a lake that has a small beach and nonmotorized vehicle priveleges, and in the larger Whitmore Lake, motorized vehicles are allowed. Plus in that area where Washtenaw,Wayne, Oakland, and Livingston Counties meet, there are alot of metroparks, state parks and county parks and lakes.

Last edited by usroute10; 01-18-2015 at 05:40 PM..

Old 09-28-2015, 08:28 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,369,130 times
I don't think Lake Erie fits clean, swimmable, boatable...looks like it isn't even fishable..
Tourism officials compare Lake Erie algae problem to Gulf oil spill, say industry is ailing | cleveland.com

Old 09-30-2015, 04:08 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,253,700 times
The river flows south so actually swimming at Belle Isle is still north of anything you would need to be concerned about.

I've done it many times this summer - it's one of the nicest beaches I've been too - the views are amazing and you can bring your dog.

All of the factories are south of Belle Isle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
View detailed profiles of: