Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 09:42 AM

1,212 posts, read 4,896,770 times

Advertisements

I am trying to decide between Superior Township and New Boston/Flat Rock township.

Here are the pros and cons:

Superior Township pros:

1. Centex Community; home is about $10,000 cheaper than same model in New Boston.

2. Development nearly finished (less chance of Centex abandoning the project due to low sales.

3. Close to Ann Arbor community, most likely a more progressive/diversed area to raise my biracial daughter.

4. Husband prefers the more progressive/liberal laws of Ann Arbor (would these progressive laws also be observed in the townships as well as the city of Ann Arbor?)

Superior Twsp cons:

1. School report card is not favorable

2. Taxes are higher (37 mills vs 33 mills)

3. No perimeter sites left in developement... home will be sandwiched between neighbors on both sides and behind.

Flat rock/ New boston pros:

1. Cheaper taxes 33 mills vs 37 mills

2. Home is about $10,000 cheaper

3. Love the geographical area (Huron river, developement is near Metro park)

4. Perimeter sites facing pond available

5. Huron School report card seem very favorable

6. more centrally located to my work and my mom's home, Toledo (about 30 minutes for both places, Ann Arbor area work is 40 minutes, Toledo close to an hour.

Cons for Flat Rock:

1. Brand new developement; worried that Centex will abandon project or take 10 years to complete so my $200,000 house wiil be in a construction site.

2. NOt sure how diverse the area in regards to my daughter

3. This development seems like a settlement in the middle of a bunch of farm lands. I like the energy and vitality of Ann Arbor area... not sure about Flat Rock. Will living there be nothing more than driving home to the middle of nowhere to basically do nothing because there are no restaraunts, shopping, cultural activities in that area.

any thoughts on this is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 10:00 AM

284 posts, read 1,653,157 times
Ann Arbor is kind of its own enclave of progressivism - meaning that the surrounding townships do not generally have the same mentality. Superior Twp is more like Ypsilanti than Ann Arbor. That being said, it's a nice place to live.

I think you've outlined the characteristics of both areas. Personally, I would choose Superior due to its proximity to Ann Arbor. And it sounds like you and/or your husband will be working there, so much easier commute. Schools are a concern, though I don't think those report cards tell the whole story. What you have in Superior are a higher percentage of uninvolved parents, which is directly correlated to low student performance.

You summed up Flat Rock pretty well - "driving home to the middle of nowhere to basically do nothing because there are no restaraunts, shopping, cultural activities in that area."

If you like the house and neighborhood in Superior, then that may suit your needs better than Flat Rock. I also checked out the Centex website and it looks like they also have a community in Ypsilanti Twp?

Old 01-11-2008, 10:23 AM

ypsilanti I was told had some areas that were not so nice. and the schools were not very good. the Centex website alluded to this buy putting right on their website that homeowners in that community can qualify for a out of district permit.
Not interested in getting a larger mortgage and then have to pay school tuition for private school because I couldn't get an elusive out of district permit.

I work in downtown detroit... so I am looking at a commute to work either way.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:38 AM

30,701 posts, read 79,347,054 times
What about Plymouth?

Cute town. Between AA and Detroit (20 min to AA; 45 to Detroit). Absolutely outstanding schools. There is a new development that is designed to fit into the historical village atmosphere of the area. It is decent for new stuff.
I cannot remember the name, but I can get it for you if you are interested. Plymouth is somewhat more progressive than a lot of the more rural areas around Ann Arbor. My brother likes living there and he is a liberal extremist (in my mind anyway, not in his).
There are somethings to do in Plymouth, and it is close enough to AA to scoot over after work.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:39 AM

27 posts, read 96,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
ypsilanti I was told had some areas that were not so nice. and the schools were not very good. the Centex website alluded to this buy putting right on their website that homeowners in that community can qualify for a out of district permit.
Not interested in getting a larger mortgage and then have to pay school tuition for private school because I couldn't get an elusive out of district permit.

I work in downtown detroit... so I am looking at a commute to work either way.
Have you looked at Pitsfield Twp or Dexter?

Old 01-11-2008, 11:04 AM

I have really decided on a Centex home.

I have always wanted brand new home that *I* decide on which features to include.

Centex and another developer has models that have 2nd floor laundry, 2000+ square feet under $200,000.

That is the main reason that I want to move... a nicer home. I am firm that I want Centex, but not sure which community.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:04 AM

30,701 posts, read 79,347,054 times
Dexter and Chelsea are both nice communities near Ann Arbor and with nice schools. They are a long commute from Detroit though.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabetm View Post
Have you looked at Pitsfield Twp or Dexter?
Pittsfield I looked closely at but I didn't like the models of homes available.

Dexter is just too long of a drive for me. 45 minutes is long enough one way. I don't want to spend 2 - 3 hours on the road EVERY day.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:06 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,198,296 times
I do know if this applies to your future site or not. If you need site improvements, well/septic, NEVER let the developer or, contractor handle hiring the companies. Talk to or local heath department, hire them yourself.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I do know if this applies to your future site or not. If you need site improvements, well/septic, NEVER let the developer or, contractor handle hiring the companies. Talk to or local heath department, hire them yourself.
I don't understand how this relates to original topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor