Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 05:33 PM

3 posts, read 3,186 times

Advertisements

I am going to start a 1-yr fellowship training in UMich health system starting 07/01/16. I am very nervous about this big move, since I have never been in Ann Arbor, MI before and have no connections/friends there either. Right now I am looking for apartments that are within walking distance to the elementary school or the school bus stop. Since my work is very demanding, I can't imagine myself drive my 6-yr old son to and from schools. I know in general Ann Arbor has very good public schools. So I am not too picky regarding which particular school I want to choose for my son. More important for me is to find an apartment which is within walking distance to either the school or the school bus stop. Any suggestions regarding which apartment complex would be within walking distance to the elementary school or school bus stop? Thanks a lot for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 10:18 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,248,808 times
Ann Arbor has 20 elementary schools. Will you be working in the area of the main hospital complex? Because they have assorted facilities around town.
If you are working in the main medical complex Angell Elementary is the closest to your work. What sort of rent budget do you have? That area is close to central campus and apartments tend toward students but not exclusively.
If you live close to a school but not work how are you getting to work? Parking near campus is not cheap. You pay for stickers at various price points that give you a "hunting license" for a parking spot.

Last edited by craig11152; 12-14-2015 at 10:28 AM..

Old 12-14-2015, 10:59 AM

CMB Management has a property at 1700 Geddes which is walking distance to Angell Elementary and walking distance to The University main Hospital campus.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2753...7269583,17.83z

Old 12-14-2015, 11:02 AM

Here is another view showing Angell at the bottom of the map slightly right of center and the hospital at the top in the pinkish area.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2796691,-83.7345006,16z

Old 12-17-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
Ann Arbor has 20 elementary schools. Will you be working in the area of the main hospital complex? Because they have assorted facilities around town.
If you are working in the main medical complex Angell Elementary is the closest to your work. What sort of rent budget do you have? That area is close to central campus and apartments tend toward students but not exclusively.
If you live close to a school but not work how are you getting to work? Parking near campus is not cheap. You pay for stickers at various price points that give you a "hunting license" for a parking spot.
Thank you sooo much for your reply!! It is very helpful!!

I will be working in the area of the main hospital complex. I was thinking driving to work and didn't know that parking is an issue though. But I am not too worried about it.

Regarding schools, any elementary schools that are rated 8 to 10 will work for me. Angell is a very good one. But other schools (like Bach, Burns Park, King, Dicken....) would work for me too. The most important thing is that I found a school which is within walking distance to my apartment. I checked CMB management, however they don't seem to have any 1-bed room available starting mid June, 2016. My budget is <$1,500 per month.

Do you any other apartment complexes that would be within walking distance to a decent elementary school?

Again thanks a lot for your kind help!! I really appreciate it a lot!!

Old 12-18-2015, 11:43 AM

what do you consider a reasonable walking distance to a school? a 1/4 mile? Half mile? 3/4 mile?
Tell me where you are getting your ratings. Or just give me the 8-10 rating list.

you can certainly find apartments in your price range. But to be within walking distance of an elementary school for a 6 year old is a bit of an order.

Last edited by craig11152; 12-18-2015 at 12:03 PM..

Old 12-18-2015, 12:08 PM

I know people are concerned about ratings for elementary schools and I do not ever want to belittle that concern.
I have 3 daughters who went to an elementary school and middle school in Ann Arbor that many would shy away from. They all graduated from college. A theater major is a sheriffs deputy. A dual political science/history major is a stay at home mom of 3 and a third one is a registered nurse at University of Kentucky Hospital in labor and delivery.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:47 AM

Part of your problem is that wherever your rankings are coming from, chances are the higher the rank of the elementary school the less likely there are apartments near by in your price range.
There are a few options near Pattengill Elementary, specifically The Ponds of Georgetown, Pine Valley, Arbor Village, Ann Arbor Woods apartments. I don't know where Pattengill is in your ranking. All those have apartments in your price range but the walk to school may or may not be a bit for a 6 year old. It would help a lot if he was walking with other kids in a group.
Carleton Court Apartments are in your price range and those are in Allen Elementary district.
University Towers apartments gets you in Burns Park but they have very little in your price range.
Park Place Apartment and Hillcrest get you in Dicken Elementary.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:41 PM

Thank you so much for providing me so much helpful information!!

I am currently thinking of Northside elementary school and find a nearby apartment called Traver Crossing Apt, which is ~0.4 mile from the school. Have you ever heard of this apt. complex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
Part of your problem is that wherever your rankings are coming from, chances are the higher the rank of the elementary school the less likely there are apartments near by in your price range.
There are a few options near Pattengill Elementary, specifically The Ponds of Georgetown, Pine Valley, Arbor Village, Ann Arbor Woods apartments. I don't know where Pattengill is in your ranking. All those have apartments in your price range but the walk to school may or may not be a bit for a 6 year old. It would help a lot if he was walking with other kids in a group.
Carleton Court Apartments are in your price range and those are in Allen Elementary district.
University Towers apartments gets you in Burns Park but they have very little in your price range.
Park Place Apartment and Hillcrest get you in Dicken Elementary.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontao View Post
I am currently thinking of Northside elementary school and find a nearby apartment called Traver Crossing Apt, which is ~0.4 mile from the school. Have you ever heard of this apt. complex?
I have not heard of it. It is on the north side of town and I live on the southeast side. It certainly looks like it is well located for your son to get to school.

It also looks like a great place to bus to work if your inclined. It looks like the AAATA (Ann Arbor Area Transit Authority) bus from your location to the hospital is only 14 minutes. The University has an arrangement with AAATA where the University will give you a free pass to ride the city buses at no cost to you.
If you want to drive your car the University has a somewhat complicated system of permits you buy. The permit doesn't get you a spot to park it just gives you the right to look for a spot in a series of lots. The more expensive the permit the more lots you can try and they get closer to campus. The cheapest permits get you lots further out and that usually mean getting on a shuttle bus to your building. Unless you can afford the 2nd most expensive pass you might as well grab the city bus in front of your apartment since that is only a 14 minute ride.
The most expensive pass is done by a lottery system as they are limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
View detailed profiles of: