Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2016, 09:05 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,426,418 times

Advertisements

I was hoping to be getting back out West from Minnesota, but I have an outstanding career opportunity which would take me to MI/Detroit area. Naturally, I'm looking at A2.

What's the social scene there like? I might be moving with a family member who is in her 50's, hence the topic subject line.

- fit
- non religious
- educated/intellectual
- healthy, active, outdoorsy
- ambitious and clean cut
- not looking to start a family anytime soon and hoping to find like minded childless singles my age

What's the social/dating scene for women in their 30's and up? What are the residents like? Nice, polite? Hipstery? Skinny jeans/beards? Are people fit? Is it common to get married in 20's- early 30's? I'm worried that with my west coast's "forever young" attitude I will be a minority there

Last edited by Flavia84; 05-27-2016 at 09:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 07:12 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,219,461 times
I am 64 and married but have lived in Ann Arbor since 1984.
But in general:

*Ann Arbor is overall a pretty highly educated city. At times one or two of those nebulous "studies" have dubbed it "the most educated city in America".
*You won't have a hard time finding non-religious people.
* there are certainly plenty of folks who are "fit"... Lots of runners and cyclists complete with all the "gear" to make them look serious.
* "ambitious" certainly runs the spectrum.
* "clean cut" is to nebulous to offer an opinion. Not many suites and ties in town. Facial hair is not uncommon.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:14 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,347,054 times
A2 is filled with dirty smelly hippies. She needs to stop bathing and grow a beard.

(okay, really it is a mix of people just like anywhere else. What she finds will depend on where she goes and what she does).

Old 06-04-2016, 12:25 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,252,659 times
Our daughter just graduated from the University of Michigan so we've spent a lot of time in AA over the past few years. AA is full of middle-aged, organic food eating, nature hat wearing, Birkenstock wearing, bird watching, young dressing, intellectually snobby people, and ditto what the PP said about people who bike, kayak, etc. and dress head to toe in ultra expensive gear to emphasize just how serious they are about their chosen sport. Also lots of younger, tattooed, skinny jeans wearing, huge horn rimmed glasses wearing, guitar playing, pseudo-intellectual hipster types.

Really. It has the most "West Coast" vibe of probably anywhere in Michigan or the Upper Midwest.

We aren't any of the above, and neither is our daughter, but we sure have had fun picking these folks out in places like Whole Foods and out walking in the downtown area. Our inside joke is, "I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you. That guy was screaming 'Ann Arbor'." Silly, yeah, but you get the idea.

So really, all kidding aside, no matter who or what you are, you can be comfortable in Ann Arbor and it probably will remind you of the West Coast in some ways. It even has a sizable Asian population, although these folks don't seem as intellectually snobby for some reason.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,315 times
Yes, people are going to hit on her, lol.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:20 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,252,694 times
If your job is in Detroit/MI - why wouldn't you consider a more local suburb than Ann Arbor? Statically speaking - there's more people in Metro Detroit (e.g. 4-5 million) than in Ann Arbor (100K). Many of Detroit's suburbs are filled with professional singles/DINKs where you would fit right in. Places like Birmingham, Royal Oak, Midtown Detroit, Plymouth, Northville. But good luck on the new gig!

Old 06-11-2016, 11:15 AM

104 posts, read 95,274 times
I agree with the other poster's about AA, but still i find in the Midwest a trend of getting married right after high school, having children in your 20's, and becoming a grandparent at 35. It was shocking to me coming from CA. I live 30 min south of AA so i have had a different experience moving here. Oh and make sure you bring a parka for winter.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:01 PM

42 posts, read 67,562 times
Remember that Ann Arbor is a upper-middle-class university town and that influences everything. For example, academics tend to pair up with other academics these days and that makes for later marriages (late 20s+) and late child-bearing (30s+). It is not unusual to see parents in their 40s with babies in a stroller in Ann Arbor. I don't know if that counts as "forever young" but it is striking.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:00 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,347,054 times
Move to Birmingham. Become a trophy wife. Enjoy a wealthy widowhood in your later years.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:28 PM

20 posts, read 36,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilgewater View Post
Remember that Ann Arbor is a upper-middle-class university town and that influences everything. For example, academics tend to pair up with other academics these days and that makes for later marriages (late 20s+) and late child-bearing (30s+). It is not unusual to see parents in their 40s with babies in a stroller in Ann Arbor. I don't know if that counts as "forever young" but it is striking.
Having lived in the A2 for a significant chunk of my life I can say this is true to an extent among the, generally temporary, population associated with the University. The UM draws people from around the world, coming to complete theses, research, fellowships, etc. Most of the time as soon as whatever project is finished these people leave for greener pastures.
On the other hand, those who end up staying in the area hold more to the Midwest values hallstar mentioned. There are hipsters for sure, but even they marry & have kids in their early to mid-20's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor