Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2016, 09:20 AM

16 posts, read 11,816 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity to take a job in Ypsilanti...My question is how far is that from A2? I am a die hard Wolverine fan, I'm single, 46 and looking for a nice area to live in between the two area if at all possible...so any help about the area would be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 09:34 AM

998 posts, read 1,238,135 times
Ummmmmmm ... well looking at a paper map or Google Maps would tell you that as the crow flies it's less than 10 miles.

Very commute-able, somewhere between 20 & 40 minutes, depending on time of day.

Lots of places to live, but what's your budget ? Buying or renting? House or condo? What kind of environment do you likWhat ( a place out in the country or somewhere near students, someplace near bike trails, on the water? Downtown Urban party environment?)

It would be easier for others to help you if you were to provide some more details.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:24 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,767,296 times
Ann Arbor and Ypsi border on each other. It's a 15-minute drive even if you're going from the far end of one to the far end of the other. Both areas are nice but Ypsi is a lot cheaper. If you're paying Ypsi rent you can still afford AA entertainment.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:13 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
It depends. You can be one step from Ann Arbor or a few miles. If you want to go to U-M football games, the Western side of Ypsi is your best bet so you can take a bus or bicycle to the games. Parking is nearly impossible on game days, so is driving.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:36 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,251,344 times
I lived in Ypsilanti for 20 years and now Ann Arbor for 32 years so I am as familiar as anybody with the area. As others have said the two cities are almost adjacent. There is a buffer between them that is a bit of Pittsfield Township and a bit of Ypsilanti Township.
Where I live on the southeast side of Ann Arbor I can be in Depot Town area of Ypsilanti in 15 minutes or Michigan Stadium in about 10 minutes. Either drive time assumes Sunday morning at 6AM.....little traffic.

Depending on where in Ypsi you work makes a bit of a difference as to where you live. Living in Ypsilanti or Ypsilanti Township requires a little more thought than Ann Arbor. There are very few places in Ann Arbor I wouldn't want to live, (maybe only one) but there are several in the two Ypsi's I wouldn't want to live.

As to game days, its not as hard to get around as people think unless your talking right near the stadium. As the crow flies I am about 2.7 miles from the Stadium and have no issues driving around my side of town. If I want to drive toward the stadium thats a little different. Certain main roads you stay off of for 2 hours before kickoff and an hour or so after the game. During the game you can drive anywhere. Bars and restaurants are generally packed on Saturday evening after a home game. My wife and I head to Ypsilanti if we want to eat out on a football Saturday.
If you are going to football games and want to drive parking is a bit pricey. The closer you get to the stadium the more expensive it gets. But if you go early enough and learn the town you can certainly park for free. You will just walk several blocks to the game.
Depending on your car situation, where you work and how much your paid, living in Ann Arbor and driving to work in Ypsilanti is not a bad idea. Most of the commute is the other way. Unless your working a night shift. Rent is certainly higher than in Ypsilanti but there is a reason for that.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:21 PM

16 posts, read 11,816 times
thank you all

I am looking to rent at first...around $1000/month or a little more, I would like not in the city, I do like my quit time, but also looking to be sociable, I am a single male, late 40's, so dating would be nice, again this is in the planning stages, so

Old 08-02-2016, 01:50 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,251,344 times
will you have a car?

Certainly dating will be easier in Ann Arbor than Ypsilanti just by shear numbers. Folks that come in to the area from elsewhere for entertainment also lean heavily toward Ann Arbor for night life verses Ypsilanti.

When you say "....not in the city, I do like my quit time," how would one interpret that? I live in a neighborhood in the city and don't see it as noisy. This isn't New York. Short of a few blocks in the downtown area most all the neighborhoods are relatively peaceful. And at a little over $1000 a month you couldn't live downtown in Ann Arbor. If you do some apartment hunting on the Internet and come back here with specifics I can give some input.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:58 AM

67 posts, read 76,908 times
As someone who lived in Ypsi for 16 years and has worked in Ann Arbor for 10, don't live east of US-23.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor