Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 08:52 AM

3 posts, read 6,555 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!
I have been reading through this forum for a month now to get an idea about the Ann Arbor area. I have a few questions:

Best Place to live-
My husband just accepted a job in Homer, which I understand is in the middle of nowhere. We were really wanting to live in Ann Arbor and him commute to work. I think it's 50min-an hour. Some of the people at his soon to be company had advised not living IN Ann Arbor as traffic would be difficult regarding leaving and commuting to Homer. We're leaving a very small town, that had the basics, but anything we were really looking for, like quality doctors, shopping, farmers markets, organic grocery stores, kids activities, even Starbucks, was an hour away. I really don't want to live that way anymore and want to live in the community that we want to be apart of. I also don't want my husband to have a ridiculous commute.
After reading through other threads, Chelsea is seeming like the best option. One of his soon to be co workers lives there I believe. Are only other towns coming to mind that would keep us 'close' to the Ann Arbor community that I feel is the perfect fit, but would also be a decent commute to Homer for my husband? I was born and raised in the SF Bay Area and have heard the A2 has a similar Berkley/mini SF vibe, which is making me super excited!

Schools-
Im a stay at home mom to 3 small kids- ages 4, 2.5, and 9 months. Our oldest will be starting school in a year. We are interested in the Waldorf/Steiner school. I hear public schools are great there, but was also curious about the different types of alternative/private schools. And is a morning commute to these from Chelsea decent?

We're really just trying to find the best area to live that makes A2 our 'community', but keeps my husbands commute to Homer for work decent.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 03:36 PM

915 posts, read 1,504,451 times
That's going to be tough.

Chelsea to Homer is about 49 miles one way. Add in more time when it snows/ices. West/Mid Michigan also get a lot more snow than SE Michigan.

Dexter also comes to mind, but it's also closer to Ann Arbor than it is to Homer.

If your husband doesn't mind the commute, then it's probably your best option.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:03 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,247,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Trojan7 View Post
Hi guys!
Some of the people at his soon to be company had advised not living IN Ann Arbor as traffic would be difficult regarding leaving and commuting to Homer.
If you located on the west side of town traffic wouldn't be too bad. Getting on I-94 west bound in the morning from Jackson road or Zeeb road is not bad. getting on west bound M-14 to west bound 1-94 at Miller/Maple shouldn't be too had either.
He would be commuting against the general flow. In the morning people are flowing in to Ann Arbor from all major freeway routes but people flowing OUT of Ann Arbor are mostly east bound.

Same in the evening coming home. Not many people flowing back in to town from the west.
You would be the one facing traffic issues if your driving the kids to Ann Arbor for school in the morning.

Having said that Chelsea is a nice smaller town.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:00 AM

Thanks for your responses! We are officially in go mode, and are needing to find a rental in the next couple days. I've started considering Manchester... Does anyone have any information about Manchester? What are everyone's thoughts regarding the town of Jackson?

Old 07-12-2016, 12:51 PM

I am not familiar with jackson but my brother's wife grew up there and her mother still lives there. So he visits the town a few times a month and has done so for 20 plus years. I texted him and asked "how would you rate Jackson as a place to live?" His response "I could live there but honestly would rather not. Very blue collar, down on its luck town".
There is an Amtrak stop in town that can get you to Chicago for a weekend get away.

Manchester is a fair amount smaller than Chelsea and certainly a longer drive to Ann Arbor. Are your kids, as they get to school age, going to private schools verses public schools?

Old 07-12-2016, 03:07 PM

From what I've researched, that's exactly how the town of Jackson comes across. So thanks for that affirmation in what I was already suspecting. My oldest child will be starting school a year from now. So we want to sort of get in position now for good schooling options. Public school is my last choice, but it's definitely a possibility. We're looking at the Steiner school on A2, considering homeschooling in a community that has a good co-op and homeschooling community (not just isolating at home), and then have good public schools available in case we go that route. I really love Chelsea so far, but unfortunately there's not much available to rent. I think when we go to buy, Chelsea will be at the top of our list. Until then, I'm sort of lost on a good location that's relatively close to Homer for husbands work commute, but also close enough for me and the kids to commute to A2 or at least the west side of A2. Manchester seems to be decent in regards to being a middle ground for us to temporarily live while we get to know the area. My husband has been up once and I've never been, yet we're in the home stretch of gearing up to move in a week.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:18 AM

If public schools are a lower priority that helps a bit. Chelsea is very popular on several counts. Close to the freeway, close to Ann Arbor,excellent schools, Jeff Daniels so I am not surprised finding something to rent is hard.

Manchester, as I said is a bit more isolated without a good straight shot in to Ann Arbor. There are a couple options that might be a bit slow after 4-5 inches of snow overnight. Of course everything is slow then.
I have no clue if there is any sort of home schooling community in Manchester but I imagine finding out shouldn't be too hard.
The "miracle" that is the Google street view car covered Manchester as recently as the summer of 2014 so you can take a virtual tour of the town from your computer screen.
Historically Manchester was a farming community and I think it still is to some extent. If one likes the "small town" atmosphere that is what Manchester gives you. The schools are OK but nothing compared to Chelsea.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:01 PM

4,277 posts, read 5,932,563 times
Chelsea would be my recommendation as well.

Grass Lake is a bit closer to Homer than Chelsea but you may be giving up a lot in small town charm and quality of education - but those are unfounded suspicions only as I have no personal experience with Grass Lake.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:04 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Chelsea needs little discussion. It is one of the best places for families to live in Michigan. If you can afford it and the commute works, probably the best choice.

Grass lake is neat, but far less upscale than Chelsea. Also the schools are not great.

My sister lived in Jackson for tens years and they loved it. They had 10 acres just outside the city. It was very inexpensive. they had lots of deer, wild turkeys etc in their yard. Biggest problem was trespassing hunters. Jackson schools are not good. Also be aware there is a large prison in Jackson.

Tecumseh is neat too. Very small town and homey.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:08 PM

77 posts, read 103,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Trojan7 View Post
Hi guys!
I have been reading through this forum for a month now to get an idea about the Ann Arbor area. I have a few questions:

Best Place to live-
My husband just accepted a job in Homer, which I understand is in the middle of nowhere. We were really wanting to live in Ann Arbor and him commute to work. I think it's 50min-an hour. Some of the people at his soon to be company had advised not living IN Ann Arbor as traffic would be difficult regarding leaving and commuting to Homer. We're leaving a very small town, that had the basics, but anything we were really looking for, like quality doctors, shopping, farmers markets, organic grocery stores, kids activities, even Starbucks, was an hour away. I really don't want to live that way anymore and want to live in the community that we want to be apart of. I also don't want my husband to have a ridiculous commute.
After reading through other threads, Chelsea is seeming like the best option. One of his soon to be co workers lives there I believe. Are only other towns coming to mind that would keep us 'close' to the Ann Arbor community that I feel is the perfect fit, but would also be a decent commute to Homer for my husband? I was born and raised in the SF Bay Area and have heard the A2 has a similar Berkley/mini SF vibe, which is making me super excited!

Schools-
Im a stay at home mom to 3 small kids- ages 4, 2.5, and 9 months. Our oldest will be starting school in a year. We are interested in the Waldorf/Steiner school. I hear public schools are great there, but was also curious about the different types of alternative/private schools. And is a morning commute to these from Chelsea decent?

We're really just trying to find the best area to live that makes A2 our 'community', but keeps my husbands commute to Homer for work decent.

Thank you!!
I have lived all over central to Southeast Michigan, including the vicinity of Homer. As an Ann Arborite, I would say trying to locate your family in A2, yet for your husband to work in Homer would be pretty hard. It would mean a killer commute. I made that commute some years ago to finish my degree, and in bad weather on I94, it can be very dangerous. Has anyone talked to you about locating your family in Portage, just outside of Kalamazoo? It is really an up and coming place. I know folks that moved there, and they love it. The distance between there and Homer is still 45 miles, and it would mean 2 hours each day for your husband to commute, which is still far. Other than Jackson or Battle Creek, which are far closer, not much else can accommodate your family. But, a long time commute is not a good thing. I would want to be closer to Homer for the sake of the family. Sorry..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor