Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 01:48 PM

63 posts, read 45,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
1. Go to U-M.

2. Get a PhD. (at least one degree from U-M)

3. bring some amazing skill with you.

4. Start a company and hire yourself.

5. Know someone.

6. Work in the trades (e.g. electrician, drywall, carpenter - all the trades are short handed).

7. Learn 8 languages and become conversational in all of them. (That is how my SIL got a job at U-M).

A BS in Psych is not all that useful these days. For one, they seem to be dime a dozen and second, there is no real job for a BS in psych. Get an advanced degree in IO or maybe in clinical and you have a great shot, especially IO. Try insurance companies. They are usually looking for and degreed persons to learn to be adjusters or underwriters. IT is a pretty terrible job, which is why they are always looking, but it is a job. Banks also hire a lot of random any degree persons, however you usually have to start as a teller, but if you hang around for two years you should be a VP. You could also go into sales. There you might use some of your Psychology learning. Sales pays well if you turn out to be good at it (A friend makes $250,000 - $450,000 a year selling the metal boxes that computers come in. Of course he did not start at that level and he is selling orders of millions at a time, but he likes his job)
Hey Coldjensens, I was wondering if you had any insight regarding finding actual insurance companies (as opposed to agencies) in the area as I was interested in underwriting. I was having a hard time finding them because most of the Google/yellow pages results are for agencies/brokers.

Secondly, were you saying "IT is a pretty terrible job" (referring to insurance), or were you suggesting I.T. (as in Industrial Technology) as another option? If the later, would you have any suggestions as to what I might qualify for in I.T. with a Bachelor's in Psych?

I'd really appreciate your help -- thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 02:05 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,560,652 times
I would look into sales if you have the personality for it. I have a B.A. in psych as well and never went on to grad school (for a lot of reasons). People act like it's so easy, not mentioning the staggering debt that comes along with it. One of my former classmates sells cars for a living and now makes over 6 figures. It took him a few years to get to that level but it's entirely doable if you know how to network and market yourself. I've seen ads where they will even give you a minimum guarantee if you last a year... I remember seeing one for 40K with the first year average being 40-65K, vacation time and health benefits. And it didn't even require a degree, just the right person with the right temperament and a background in customer service. If you have a B.A. in psych chances are you are very good at listening to people... and that typically makes for someone who'd do well if you know how to overcome objections and find solutions. Not everyone in the world can have a Ph.D, nor should they.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 06-03-2017 at 02:14 AM..

Old 06-05-2017, 10:16 AM

944 posts, read 1,202,456 times
The biggest thing I try to impress upon people when talking about the A2 job market is this... literally everyone here went to UM. If you went to UM, your diploma is worth more literally anywhere else in the world. A friend of mine applied to be a paralegal in Ann Arbor and got a giant dismissive ****, she applied for the same job at a firm in Farmington Hills and they fell all over themselves to offer her the job plus $10k over the listed salary because honors grads from UMich rarely fall into their laps. She was hardly unique, recent grads have it especially rough because so many only intend to stay in Ann Arbor briefly on the way to another city. Whatever truth there is to the idea of "the Michigan difference", it exists exclusively outside of Ann Arbor itself.

If you did NOT go to UM and don't have a marketable degree, I suggest you honestly look into jobs in suburban Detroit. Having a degree at all is more impressive there and your chances will be exponentially better. This isn't to say it can't be done, of course it can... you just have to hustle harder.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:32 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,570,311 times
OP, I suppose you could apply at nonprofits like Goodwill as a "career counselor" and help people get job ready. As mentioned, there's not a lot of career options around A2 for just a BA in psych. You need a MA for most career positions, and that's true of most college towns.

If you want to be a drug rehab counselor or some such at the entry level, you might find work at the rehab programs.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:42 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,863,891 times
Why do you need to work in Ann Arbor? You can still live there and work elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor