Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 10:47 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

I was under the impression that Grass lake had mediocre schools at best. (Looking beyond test scores). However It has been a long time, so maybe it is different now.

The general trend nowdays is to combine small schools for efficiency. So, unless there is a reason like geography most schools are larger now it seems. You can find smaller schools, but they are not super common.

Good small schools int he area will depend on your definitions. South Lyon, Novi, Northville, Plymouth-Canton, Ann Arbor, Saline, are all pretty big schools to me. Some are huge. I am not sure what the current size of Chelsea schools are, or Dexter. Both are good schools. Tecumseh also has pretty good schools and is small (at least used to). I really cannot think of any in the Ann Arbor area I would call small, except Grass Lake. That will take some research, followed by a lot of investigation/footwork (exploring the area and asking questions) to figure out what is small and good.

BTW most elementary schools are kept pretty small AFAIK Big does not occur until Middle school or high school. If your kids ar ein elementary, it may not matter unless you are certain you will stay put for a decade.

Smaller schools will not get as good ratings in many studies or polls because:
1. They do not offer as many AP classes each year.

2. The do not offer as broad a range of electives and follow on classes.

3. They are rarely competitive in all sports/academics, performing arts etc competitions. Usually they will have a few strong areas and be weak in others. Bigger schools are more likely to be strong in many or all areas.

4. They often lack diversity.

5. They may have no reputation - no one has heard of them.

6. They may lack resources to travel for competitive events, offer test preparation classes, etc.

7. They seem more likely to have an old fashioned philosophy (i.e. they do not teach to the tests, but just teach the subjects). This one is purely my observation. Could be wrong.

Studies ro ratings really give you only a tiny part of the picture. You really need to go check out the schools, meet the principals, etc. Remember a school can go up hill or downhill really fast if the principal leaves. If you are excited about a school try to feel the principal out and find out how secure and happy she is.

Our local school has just under 600 kids. There is one of each school in our district, so all the kids who attend our schools attend the same schools the entire time (unless they move from elsewhere or move away). To me, that is ideal. All the teachers know pretty much all the kids. There are few enough teachers they can talk to each other. They often know the parents and siblings of the students. The biology teacher knows if a freshman is a remarkable speaker, or writer and can notify the speech or comp teacher. the English teacher can identify a kid with unusually good logical or analytical thinking skills and let the math teacher know. Likewise a one teacher may know a kids Mother died, or parents are divorcing and can inform other teachers there may be a reason for a behavior change and they can react accordingly.

We do have some AP classes, not 150 like some schools. Some of the AP classes are only offered once in a while, so the kids have to take them when they are offered. Some AP classes are only offered when there are a group of interested and qualified students (like AP music theory which might be offered three times in consecutive years and then not again for five years). Statistically some things might be lower than schools I like less. However graduation rates are in the 90% range, college rates are at or very close to 90%, I do not know the numbers, but I expect far more than 50% of the graduates have scholarships, many with full rides. I think the school presents the opportunities we need it to in an atmosphere we prefer. However some other parents do nothing but complain. Marching band is very large, but they do not compete much. Choir hardly competes at all. It is very unlikely you will ever see one of our high school's football games on TV. The sailing team's state championships do not even make the newspaper in some years. It certainly does not have the pizzaz of some of the giant schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 12:52 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,940 times
The OP says a school over 1000 is a deal killer. The sizes of most schools within 40 minutes will be over that. Milan and Chelsea are in that range of size and distance. Of the two Chelsea gets the nod for performance.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:25 PM

4,620 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I was under the impression that Grass lake had mediocre schools at best. (Looking beyond test scores). However It has been a long time, so maybe it is different now.
In the 80s and 90s, calling Grass Lake mediocre would be a stretch

Old 02-27-2017, 11:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,726 times
Chinese people are favored in Ann Arbor. Why all students must learn Chinese in school?

Old 02-27-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliz388 View Post
Chinese people are favored in Ann Arbor. Why all students must learn Chinese in school?
There is no requirement that all students learn Chinese.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
There is no requirement that all students learn Chinese.
In some schools yes they have no choice but to take Chinese class.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
What schools?
Spanish is an option at all elementary schools, middle schools and High schools.
French is an option at all Middle schools.
Every High school offers several options but not all options. But you can take those classes at another high school if they aren't offered at yours.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:07 PM

936 posts, read 2,068,067 times
Quote:
that's an odd thing to obsess over. I say its a positive thing to have an opportunity to learn a 2nd language.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:31 PM

4,620 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:
Sure.............................................
.................................................. .....
.................................................. ...

Can I have some of what you are smoking?

You can't even take Chinese at Community.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:16 PM

67 posts, read 76,762 times
It's going to be difficult to land in a good school district with a home price in that range. I would take a good look at charter schools. There is one at Washtenaw Community College that gets good reviews from students and parents. This would put you in Ypsilanti, where you could find a house in that price range. Buy as far west in Ypsi as you can afford, if you go there.

This is a very politically charged area. I would explore school districts that are in line with your ideals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor