Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 05:32 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,232,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
That is nice little house.

However, when the vast majority of people speak of a "walkable area with restaurants and coffee shops", they are referring a to a charming, "Main Street-type" of district lined with storefronts, such as Professor Avenue in the Tremont neighborhood of Cleveland, Ohio. They are usually not envisioning large strip malls with large parking lots in front like Traver Village Shopping Center. (Although the house is certainly within walking distance of the strip malls). Based on the common definition of a "walkable area", I think the following two houses are more of what the OP was hoping to find:

House, 2/3rds of a mile south of downtown

1124 S Seventh St, Ann Arbor, MI 48103 - realtor.com®

House, walking distance to Kerrytown District
638 W Summit St, Ann Arbor, MI 48103 - realtor.com®
I picked a house below his price range near his work and within walking distance of coffee and restaurants regardless of the setting and had a fenced in yard.

The one on 7th Street has been on the market for 97 days according to your link. In this town that means that house for some reason is seriously over priced. Plus the back yard is not fenced, its across town from his work and 7th street is very busy during the day. Not for everybody.

The one on Summit is nice but it is at the upper end of his price range and also a lot further from work if work is north of north campus and south of 23.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 06:01 PM

944 posts, read 1,203,237 times
It would also be a mistake to write off those Plymouth Road strip malls... it's not like they are filled with just H&R Blocks and SuperCuts. Ann Arbor's absurd rents mean that the kinds of businesses that used to exist solely downtown are now spread throughout the city. In two strip malls near that house on Nixon, you have: the brand new restaurant Rapport, the wonderful brunch place/coffee shop Songbird Cafe, always packed upscale Indian restaurant Cardamom, pricey new French restaurant Mikette, an independent bookstore in BookBound, etc.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:28 PM

good observations brodie

Old 02-23-2017, 08:20 PM

936 posts, read 2,063,756 times
Thanks for all the input. I'm also wavering between wanting to live downtown and I have this fantasy in my head of living in the boonies on a lake, but within 20-30 minute commute. Is that even possible? I guess after living here in colorado so long with NO WATER living on a lake sounds nice.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
Thanks for all the input. I'm also wavering between wanting to live downtown and I have this fantasy in my head of living in the boonies on a lake, but within 20-30 minute commute.
You can live on a lake within 20-30-40 but it definitely won't be boonies. Virtually every lake in the SE Michigan area is built up to the extent possible.

Last edited by craig11152; 02-24-2017 at 08:43 AM..

Old 06-12-2017, 03:48 PM

30,707 posts, read 79,562,447 times
Grass lake - but it is more a marsh than a lake.

There are houses along the Huron river in or near town. You are going to pay a premium for that so smaller house/yard than you would get outside of town.

Whitmore lake is not very crowded unless it has grown massively. That exceeds your 30 minutes though.

When I was looking for a house in Ann Arbor in 2005, there were a few houses along the arboretum in the $500K range. I am not sure whether prices are higher or lower than 2005. Where I live they are still a bit lower. The Arb is really cool and the houses along there had nice sized yards (not an acre, but certainly 1/3).

Hunt around. Our house, not near Ann Arbor, but in a really nice place (great schools, safest pace in Michigan), 1 acre of land, surrounded by woods on three sides and the river on the fourth, 3300 s.f. (officially actually about 5500 and 6 BR 4 ba). Last appraised for $450,000. Our town is not an option for you, but it should tell you viable options are out there if you look hard enough.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
When I was looking for a house in Ann Arbor in 2005, there were a few houses along the arboretum in the $500K range. I am not sure whether prices are higher or lower than 2005..... The Arb is really cool and the houses along there had nice sized yards (not an acre, but certainly 1/3).
If you are talking where I think you are most of those houses are $800K to over a million these days. I was doing a little two bit research pertaining to the issue between the city and the University surrounding the Inglis House.

If anyone wonders or cares about that go the M-Live and plug Inglis House in to the search box to see several stories.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:47 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,562,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
If you are talking where I think you are most of those houses are $800K to over a million these days. I was doing a little two bit research pertaining to the issue between the city and the University surrounding the Inglis House.

If anyone wonders or cares about that go the M-Live and plug Inglis House in to the search box to see several stories.
Yes. That is the general area. The ones near the entrance to the arb or near the cemetery were cheaper. There were lots of houses well over $500K but there was also quite a number in the high 400s to low 500s.

However for that kind of moeny, I would have elected to go with something on the river but still close to town.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:25 AM

8 posts, read 6,492 times
It's all well and good until you talk price. It's very related to location. Old west side is very walkable, not over priced but at least median price ($320K for AA) but most of those houses are not updated at all, so you get a house that needs a lot of work and a very very small yard, but you can walk to down town!

There are so many factors involved in seeking out where to live. Walkability can mean different things to different people. I live on the north side and love to walk to the traver mall, yet not charming, it's very accessible and there's the new hip bar. I think this area will soon see more of that type of walkable entertainment. People want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor