Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 05:24 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,247,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyrebel View Post
AA is extremely high taxed, liberal, and arrogant. Saline, Dexter, Manchester, Milan, are all better choices.
Interesting comment. Of your 3 statements one is a measurable fact, one is measurably inaccurate and one is subjective and not measurable.

Liberal: No question. That can be measured by election results.

extremely high taxed: Not compared to the others you mentioned where Ann Arbor sits in the middle.
The order of millage rates from highest to lowest 1.Milan, 2.Manchester, 3.Ann Arbor, 4.Saline, 5.Dexter.

arrogant: subjective and not really measurable. Are there arrogant people in AA? Of course. There are arrogant people in every city. Does Ann Arbor have a higher percentage than "average"? No way to know. As a long time resident of the city I would say people in academia at the U may have a higher percentage of arrogant people than "average" whatever "average" is but they don't make up a large percentage of the town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 03:05 AM

27 posts, read 39,271 times
Quote:
Unless you are attending U of M there is no reason to live in AA. Even most people that work in the city prefer to live in the outskirts. AA is extremely high taxed, liberal, and arrogant. Saline, Dexter, Manchester, Milan, are all better choices.
My wife will be working at U of M. We don't like being dependant on a car for work so anywhere outside of AA would be too much of a cycle, that's why AA works fine for us.

We've spent time there before and enjoyed the town, the people, etc so should be fine. We want to make the most of our time in the states so would hate to be living away from all the fun! Not to say them other places aren't fun, but I doubt they have as much going on as AA.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:10 PM

927 posts, read 882,747 times
Quote:
Unless you are attending U of M there is no reason to live in AA. Even most people that work in the city prefer to live in the outskirts. AA is extremely high taxed, liberal, and arrogant. Saline, Dexter, Manchester, Milan, are all better choices.
All of those small town outskirts have similar taxes and vote liberal as well.

You have to head outside of Washtenaw County if you want lower taxes.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:33 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,247,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
All of those small town outskirts have similar taxes and vote liberal as well.

You have to head outside of Washtenaw County if you want lower taxes.
Within Washtenaw county you just need to be willing to live in a somewhat rural township for low property taxes. There are several Townships with millage's below 35 and a few below 30. Even as low as the mid 20's.

And as one gets away from Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti area cluster of towns and townships voting gets a lot less liberal.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:02 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,153,485 times
So, funny how things work out... Ann Arbor may have just gained a transplant from the UK, but we're about to make up for it by picking up and moving to the outskirts of London for a year and a half. Rich87, I don't recall if you're from the London area or not, but if you wouldn't mind paying a visit to this thread and offering even some general advice on living in the UK, I'd really appreciate it.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:04 AM

6 posts, read 16,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich87 View Post
My wife is training for a triathlon...
Might want to check this out too: Ann Arbor Triathlon Club - Home

Old 03-28-2019, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,041 times
Hi, Rich, did you find a place you liked? I also moved to Ann Arbor in early 2018 and my husband and I are now moving out of our apartment in south Ann Arbor (we found a good opportunity elsewhere). We have had a great local landlord, and he charges fair (not exploitative) rent. I can send you more details if you'd like. Hope you've been enjoying the city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor