Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would happen if I wore a MAGA hat on the street
Someone would throw acid in my face! 0 0%
Ostracized, no one will speak to me/businesses won't serve me 0 0%
Weird looks but nothing worse than that 5 100.00%
Nothing. Few people would even notice 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 12:36 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times

Advertisements

My daughter went to U of M Ann Arbor and I have spent my share of time in that city. If I were to wear a MAGA hat anywhere downtown or on Central Campus I would definitely expect to get a lot of dirty looks and I would honestly be surprised if I didn't get at least one rude comment. Many of the students are young, wealthy, liberal, and entitled and discretion and tolerance isn't what they do best.

If I was elsewhere in the city, say at the Medical Center compound or in the Kroger store up on Plymouth Rd., I would expect to get a look or two or three, but I would (hopefully) not expect to be confronted like I would on campus or downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 12:42 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
I'd like to clear up any misconceptions about getting "assaulted" in Portland. Unless your throwing yourself into a protest looking for a dust-up, it's highly unlikely you're going to run into anything harsher than getting the 'stink-eye' if you feel the need to wear a MAGA cap. (See Ohio St. post above) If you're going to get folks riled up, fire up a cigarette in a crowd or not pick up your dog's poop. THAT will put you on the wrong side of the generally mellow citizens of the Rose City...

Old 12-12-2019, 12:14 AM

111 posts, read 95,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
I'd like to clear up any misconceptions about getting "assaulted" in Portland. Unless your throwing yourself into a protest looking for a dust-up, it's highly unlikely you're going to run into anything harsher than getting the 'stink-eye' if you feel the need to wear a MAGA cap. (See Ohio St. post above) If you're going to get folks riled up, fire up a cigarette in a crowd or not pick up your dog's poop. THAT will put you on the wrong side of the generally mellow citizens of the Rose City...
I've lived in Portland, OR and it is anything but a "rose" city...more like "don't step on a needle" city. I hated that place

Old 12-16-2019, 08:44 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
OP, contrary to what the Grand Master of MAGA would have you believe, the vast majority of even the far left isn't violent. I've not heard once of someone being physically assaulted for wearing Republican paraphernalia in Ann Arbor. Yes, you'll get a dirty look or two. You might even be called a name. Given how keen certain MAGA supporters are to call Dems sensitive snowflakes, it might be a good test of how thick your own skin really is.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:40 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
.If you're going to get folks riled up, fire up a cigarette in a crowd or not pick up your dog's poop. THAT will put you on the wrong side of the generally mellow citizens of the Rose City...
I thought pooping on the sidewalk was legal in Portland just like it is in San Francisco, or does that only apply to human poop?

Old 01-03-2020, 06:54 PM

927 posts, read 882,487 times
There's only one viewpoint allowed in Ann Arbor.

Old 01-05-2020, 07:58 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
Exactly. I know of conservatives who live there but they just keep a low profile, go about their business, and ignore the political climate.

Old 01-16-2020, 10:49 AM

37 posts, read 21,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
As generally tends to be the case when it comes to areas with a high education quotient. No surprise there.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:01 PM

7 posts, read 7,178 times
Tl;dr, yes, you will.

Anywhere where there's students or younger townies, you will get looks and passive-aggressive "**** Yous" shouted at a distance from soyboys who recoil if you try to approach them. I don't even have a MAGA hat, but a parody hat for a completely different cause, and this happened to me multiple times living in A2.

Red hat, white text, immediate visceral reaction. Disappointing that the student body of such a "prestigious" institution as UMich is seemingly illiterate.

Sometimes they're horrified, other times they'll make rude remarks, and on one occasion, I had a drunk guy try to fight me. Again, this wasn't even a MAGA hat, just a look-alike. Either keep your political affiliations to yourself in A2 or wear them proudly and be prepared to brawl/argue/be isolated. But if you are younger and/or trying to make like-minded friends, good luck.

The outskirts of town aren't as bad. There's a nice new gun store and indoor shooting range if you're into that.

It's just a very sad state of affairs - when I lived in A2 the first time about a decade ago attending U of M, it was still overtly Leftist but people were willing to talk to you about your difference of opinion. There's no room for dialogue in A2 these days, but I find that's true in most Leftist urban environments these days.

Old 01-30-2020, 09:33 AM

37 posts, read 21,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MittenChain View Post
Disappointing that the student body of such a "prestigious" institution as UMich is seemingly illiterate.
I don't think people are highly inclined to get close enough to read what's written on your hat. It's not far-fetched to assume it says what they think it does if it looks what it looks like. And you're being just a tad disingenuous in your outrage. You know what your hat looks like, as well.
Quote:
It's just a very sad state of affairs - when I lived in A2 the first time about a decade ago attending U of M, it was still overtly Leftist but people were willing to talk to you about your difference of opinion.
Right. Back then, the other side was a lot more receptive to the opposing point of view, as well. The polarization of American politics is not the individual fault of the left or the right, although the catalyst, otherwise known as a president who lies every time he opens his mouth and eggs hate on rather than try to put the flames out, is an unprecedented phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MittenChain View Post
soyboys
Gee. I wonder why people aren't nicer to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor