Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2008, 03:58 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,725,203 times

Advertisements

Is 45 minutes a reasonable commute time from Ann Arbor to Detroit in rush hour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 03:58 PM

734 posts, read 2,617,466 times
LOL! No way.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:01 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,725,203 times
What would be reasonable? I thought 45 minutes was absurd, but I've never done it.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:32 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
An hour and a quarter to an hour and a half might be reasonable under good conditions, however I do not know how congested it gets on the freeways approaching AA during rush hour. I have never arrived in AA during rush hour.

How fast do you drive?

How far are you from the freeway on each end?

Where do you park?

How far do you walk after you park; and how far do you walk to get to your car at each end?

For me worst case ever it took 4 hours to get to AA from Detroit, but it was black ice conditions.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:39 AM

104 posts, read 375,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
An hour and a quarter to an hour and a half might be reasonable under good conditions, however I do not know how congested it gets on the freeways approaching AA during rush hour. I have never arrived in AA during rush hour.

How fast do you drive?

How far are you from the freeway on each end?

Where do you park?

How far do you walk after you park; and how far do you walk to get to your car at each end?

For me worst case ever it took 4 hours to get to AA from Detroit, but it was black ice conditions.
This exactly.

When I lived in AA I had jury duty once and made it downtown in just under an hour during the morning when everyone else was going to work. I was running super crazy late and was driving like a maniac, switching lanes, etc... (not something I'd normally suggest).

Under any other situation I would say 45 minutes give or take is about how long it would take to get from AA to Detroit. Depending on the factors the pp mentioned.

For rush hour times I would go up to an hour and a half maybe, more if construction of course.

I have been told by more than one person that both Dh and I drive fast so YMMV.

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to time it yourself and take a drive.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:31 PM

19 posts, read 72,900 times
During rush hour it takes more than 45 minutes to get from Detroit to just the burbs.

I-96 has the least amount of traffic if you can take that freeway.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:41 PM

144 posts, read 546,741 times
45 minutes would be fabulous time. We lived in Hamburg, just north of Ann Arbor. My husband worked off near the old Lafayette Steel in Detroit. If he made it home in one hour he thought he was doing great. Most nights it was hour and a half. And during the winter it could go anywhere from 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 depending on the road conditions. And if their was an accident... forget it! My advice is that if you are taking 94 all the way in you'd better learn the back roads for the ride home on the bad traffic days. He did have a little better luck going 14 to 96. But at times it was just as bad.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:09 PM

19 posts, read 72,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganirish View Post
45 minutes would be fabulous time. We lived in Hamburg, just north of Ann Arbor. My husband worked off near the old Lafayette Steel in Detroit. If he made it home in one hour he thought he was doing great. Most nights it was hour and a half. And during the winter it could go anywhere from 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 depending on the road conditions. And if their was an accident... forget it! My advice is that if you are taking 94 all the way in you'd better learn the back roads for the ride home on the bad traffic days. He did have a little better luck going 14 to 96. But at times it was just as bad.
It will probably take more than an hour from that point.

The traffic on that section of I-96/I-696 is bumper to bumper at rush hour.

I-96 from I-275 and eastward is less crowded.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:23 PM

27 posts, read 101,839 times
From where I live on 696 it is about 45 miles to AA, and it takes me 50 to get to AA from where I live during rush hour. Keep in mind I am going the opposite direction than the rush hour traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor