Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Soon to be college graduate relocating to Ann Arbor Michigan from Alabama, seeking advice on bookstore job openings, moving without job

Old 09-12-2008, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 4,992 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I'll be graduating in December with a BA in Retail Merchandising and I've been looking at relocating to Ann Arbor. I'm from Alabama but I've been to Michigan (Charlevoix) and absolutely loved it. I've been working in the book industry for the past few years and have figured that I want to stick with this industry post-graduation. I like Borders books and I think it's a company that I would enjoy working for. These are my questions:

Is Ann Arbor a relatively inexpensive place to live (I have $20,000 in student loan debt that I want to pay off soon)?

Is it easy to meet people in Ann Arbor (I will probably be moving there alone)?

Does anyone on this forum work for Borders? If so, is it likely that they would hire somone who has worked for a rival bookstore the past few years?

Would it be difficult getting a job before moving to Ann Arbor? Or is it more advisable to move there first?

I've lived in Alabama my entire life. I spent the past year studying in Germany and loved the different environment so I know I want to move somewhere outside of my home state.

Thanks for your help!

Best,
Sam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 11:31 AM

132 posts, read 460,995 times
I would strongly suggest that you line up a job before moving to MI. My niece sent out 50 applications for restaurant work and it took her all summer to get a job in Ann Arbor. It's like that everywhere in the state right now. If you really want to live in MI and you really want to work for a bookstore, I wouldn't limit yourself to one chain. Apply with as many as you can find and hope for an offer. You can always apply at Borders again when a position opens.

As far as expenses go, "inexpensive" is a relative term. Ann Arbor is not the cheapest place in the state. It's not the most expensive either. It also makes a difference whether you are renting or buying. I think we would need more details to really answer that question.

Ann Arbor is an active, urban community. If you are the sort to get out and do things, you will meet people.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 4,992 times
Okay. I figured lining up a job would be better but I didn't know if my Alabama address would be an issue. I only say Borders because their corporate office is located in Ann Arbor. I don't really want to work in a bookstore--I would much rather work in the corporate office and work with the marketing team or become a buyer.

I would be looking to rent, definitely. Currently, in small-town Alabama, I'm paying $525 for a 2 bedroom, 1 bath. Of course, Ann Arbor is going to be more expensive. I've looked at apartment prices online so I don't really know what answer I was looking for with that question

Old 09-12-2008, 11:58 AM

132 posts, read 460,995 times
Thanks for clarifying. I assumed you were looking into store mgmt. positions, not corporate positions. Sorry! I don't think your address should be a problem, assuming you can come up for interviews.

You will definitely need to increase your rent budget (especially if you need 2 bedrooms), but you are obviously prepared to do that. I haven't rented in a long time, but I suspect you will pay at least $500 for a one bedroom in AA. Personally think that Craigslist the very best option for finding housing. That site should give you a very accurate picture of the rental market in AA.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:15 PM

123 posts, read 487,943 times
I live about 45 min away from AA. I agree about looking on craigslist. Unless you want a roomie a 1 bedroom would be more in your price range. AA is where u of m etc is so you should be around a lot of young people. I am sorry why did you pick AA other then the part of MI you liked before? Will you be visiting first or just making the move? If you are just coming here before a job you may want to look for a transition things like waiting tables etc. I had done that in the past. Did you go on Borders or Barnes and Nobel is another big store here to see if they have a job link?

Old 09-15-2008, 02:27 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbirdw1 View Post
Okay. I figured lining up a job would be better but I didn't know if my Alabama address would be an issue. I only say Borders because their corporate office is located in Ann Arbor. I don't really want to work in a bookstore--I would much rather work in the corporate office and work with the marketing team or become a buyer.

I would be looking to rent, definitely. Currently, in small-town Alabama, I'm paying $525 for a 2 bedroom, 1 bath. Of course, Ann Arbor is going to be more expensive. I've looked at apartment prices online so I don't really know what answer I was looking for with that question
Ann Arbor is not cheap. My husband and I spend almost $800 a month in rent for a one bedroom apt (and it's a small apt), no utilities included.
We live in a nice place, however, it's clean and quiet and safe and we choose to shell out the extra money to live somewhere we enjoy. I'm sure there are cheaper places.
The neighboring city of Ypsilanti has cheaper apartments, but the area looks more run-down and I think there tends to be more crime on that side of town.

But I will say that Ann Arbor is a great city...so I wish you the best of luck! It's nice that there are people moving here to MI; it seems that lately everyone is leaving...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor