Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 12:37 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am exploring jobs in several midwestern, eastern cities. Looking into academic and science jobs in Ann Arbor, Columbia, and Pittsburgh. All seem to have strengths and a few flaws. Looking for reasonably affordable digs, good recreation, hiking, biking, etc. and good schools for my son. Which do you like best and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 03:44 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
An Arbor is a great place, good schools and all the stuff that comes with being a big University town. And that is what it is, a University town. I loved it going to school there in my late 20s. But it has gotten bigger and bigger and more expensive. Still smaller than Pittsburgh I think. Pittsburgh has been getting tons of good press lately for being a progressive town that has remade itself. More of a "city" than A2. Pro sports, diversity.
Don't know zip about MO.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:00 PM

850 posts, read 1,898,464 times
hi there, i just moved back to MI from columbia, mo. its also a college town like ann arbor, but much smaller. a decent town though. the only problem i had with columbia was that i felt like i was in the middle of nowhere. its not a bad town to be stuck in the middle of nowhere, but approximately 2 hours from both st. louis and kansas city (neither of which i like anyway). there is also a decent amount of crime in columbia, it was to the point where people were robbing people at gunpoint while they were at home. there's also a ton of wandering stray cats? i would definitely pick ann arbor over columbia. it just has more to offer and less crime. columbia is alot cheaper though. but if you can afford to pay more i think it would be worth it. do not know anything about pa.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:56 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
I'd choose Pittsburgh, as it is the biggest of the three - most to do.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:09 PM

542 posts, read 1,449,528 times
i prefer ann arbor. i've spent plenty of time there. it is very nice and has many things to do.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:18 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,360 times
I haven't been to Pittsburg or MO, but I can say this about A2. It is the smallest cosmopolitian city. I mean that literally. Because U of M is such a magnet school (compare to the other locations you were asking about) you get such a different mix of people... from all over the globe.

Also A2 is very progressive thinking with a lot of smart open minded people.

I really like that little city. It is cultural, earthy, environmental, and at the same time funky, quirky and very unassuming.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:57 AM

15 posts, read 42,721 times
I can't say much about recreation and schools, but I've found Ann Arbor to be a much friendlier place than Pittsburgh. I've been to Pittsburgh two times and it seemed to me that most of the people there are grouchy and in a sour mood nearly all the time. It's a gorgeous town during the summer, but when winter comes, it is ugly and bitter cold. Much colder than anywhere in the lower peninsula. So that might be something to think about.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:39 AM

536 posts, read 1,871,234 times
Can't comment on MO, but I have family in Pittsburgh, and don't really like AA, so maybe I am a bit bias

I think it depends what you are looking for. AA has more of a small town feel, yet you are still close to everything. Stuff to do and see. But it is a college town so if that's not your cup of tea then I migt stay away. But plenty of nice surrounding suburbs well within driving distance so you don't have to live in the city.

I love Pittsburgh (went to school there), but it is a city, and a big one (at least when compared to AA. Don't agree with the comment about the weather though. I didn't know cold until I came to S.E. MI. Although walking around downtown in the middle of winter anywhere is going to be cold. Don't really agree with grouchy people there. If there are, it's no more then you would find in MI or just about anywhere these days imo.

Pittsburgh has been growing alot, and changing over the past 20 years. Lots of medical, research etc. But, they have had similar economic problems. Housing in the slump etc. As an engineer I doubt I can ever go back. There were hardly any engineering jobs 15 years ago and I doubt there are many now.

It doesn't feel like a mid-western area though. Can't really explain why. Sorry, I can't comment on what areas to live. I am only familiar with the south side and cities to the south of there. It's not like AA where no matter where you live you are going to be close to everything.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:32 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Thanks everyone,

Great comments.

Interesting. Although I have read great things about AA, Columbia, and Pittsburgh, I have yet to get a comment from someone who has been to all three. They do not seem so far apart, and have similarities: college towns (cities), rivers flowing through or nearby, great parks and recreation within and nearby, liberal academic bent, vibrant downtowns and art scenes, friendly people....hmm Makes me think the country is more regionalized than I supposed.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:51 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
This would be a good one to post on the MO & Pittsburgh threads as well.

I've been to all three cities, but none of which extended periods of time.

I think all three are good cities...but for me, when I drove into Pittsburgh ages ago, and just saw the mountains and hills everywhere and the lit up city at night...it was an impressive site. When I've rolled into Ann Arbor, it's flat, as is Columbia, MO. I think the other two college towns are great places - and I'd give an edge to AA over Columbia...but you can't really go wrong with any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor