Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2010, 10:06 AM

6 posts, read 21,417 times

Advertisements

We are a family of four living in NYC, though I grew up in Madison Wisconsin. I love Madison but would have mixed feelings about back moving home and would prefer to find a new place that is "ours". Is Ann Arbor a good alternative? Minneapolis? Honestly though I don't miss the freezing winters, though some snow would be great. We're looking for the quintessential leafy college town with things to do and nice neighbors, houses with yards and big old trees. I haven't learned to drive yet so we would need to be in a place that is truly walkable and bikable. Even if I could drive I'd prefer to not own a car - even though I know this might not work for the dentist, as long as it works for a meal out, groceries and a downtown of sorts, I'd be happy. Any ideas? My husband would be looking for an internet technology job, I am at home with kids for now and need parks and things to do with them. I hope this question isn't too sprawling to get suggestions. We'd be looking for a house in the 400-600K range.

Last edited by shoff; 02-24-2010 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: punctuation correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 06:58 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,850 times
I have a lot of family that lives in Minneapolis and have been there numerous times and I would take Minneapolis. Not too familiar with Ann Arbor but downtown Minneapolis is walkable. Minneapolis also has a lot of parks. It also has an area called Dinkytown which is by the campus and is a section of bars, restaurants, stores etc all within walking distance. Neither city is going to be rideable on a bike in winter. Minneapolis does have a light rail, but unless you're going to the airport, it's useless. The riverfront between Minneapolis and St Paul is nice.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:27 PM

693 posts, read 2,258,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoff View Post
We are a family of four living in NYC, though I grew up in Madison Wisconsin. I love Madison but would have mixed feelings about back moving home and would prefer to find a new place that is "ours". Is Ann Arbor a good alternative? Minneapolis? Honestly though I don't miss the freezing winters, though some snow would be great. We're looking for the quintessential leafy college town with things to do and nice neighbors, houses with yards and big old trees. I haven't learned to drive yet so we would need to be in a place that is truly walkable and bikable. Even if I could drive I'd prefer to not own a car - even though I know this might not work for the dentist, as long as it works for a meal out, groceries and a downtown of sorts, I'd be happy. Any ideas? My husband would be looking for an internet technology job, I am at home with kids for now and need parks and things to do with them. I hope this question isn't too sprawling to get suggestions. We'd be looking for a house in the 400-600K range.
Hello,

Madison and Ann Arbor are very similar, Madison being slightly bigger but culturally and geographically they are very identical. Not sure you would get the same feel in Minneapolis, which would feel more "big city" than college town. Google is expanding in Ann Arbor and Detroit, and although I don't know your husbands background I'm sure he could land a job in the surrounding area. There are quite a few neighborhoods you could live in and be without a car in Ann Arbor, your price range would give a fair amount of choices as well. Many people live here without a vehicle, the bus system covers a large area. If your looking to walk or bike, I would suggest the west side of Ann Arbor, which is mostly made up of historic homes with larger yards and has a good number of parks. I know Minneapolis has a more extensive public transit system, but if your really set on a college town feel then Ann Arbor would be my choice!

Good Luck

Old 02-24-2010, 08:55 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Having lived in Madison for a few years, stayed in Minneapolis for a month and in and out of A2 for years--I am inclined to take Madison. That is is cold snowy winters are not an issue.

Madison is much more communter friendly--smaller than Minneapolis--bigger than A2 in terms of resources and community.

A2 (IMESHO) lacks that community I had in Madison. The summer days on State Street, the evenings there on Willy Street and cruising Lake Mendota...but I am losing focus of the OP's inquiry.

Though Minneapolis has a great transit system and A2 is adequete for what it serves--Madison has more convieniences on the Metro like the State Street / Capital Square area and the area along University Drive.

Housing wise A2 is the better choice for great bungalows with age and character.

But if you remember, the area south of Lake Wingra also has some fabulous houses in the likeness of FL Wright....

Old 02-27-2010, 06:26 PM

172 posts, read 471,387 times
Been to all three places but used to live in Ann Arbor for about 5 years. Here's what I can tell you about Ann Arbor: some really great old homes with tons of character (if you pick the right neighborhood and with that price range that would not be an issue) that are within walking distance to downtown and parks. Downtown has fantastic restaurants, shopping, library, YMCA, numerous festivals and events, access to all that the University of Michigan has to offer (theatre, music, lectures, museums), a wide variety of excellent school choices, organic groceries and food-coop's, independent movies. Ann Arbor is a very walkable town if you live close enough to the downtown/campus area and it has a nice bus system. If you live further out then you will likely need a car but Ann Arbor is a great town in general. The downside is that traffic can be pretty annoying, football season only adds to the congestion and things are pretty crowded in general when going to the mall, shopping centers and whatnot. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor