Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 08:50 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times

Advertisements

Pit bulls can be the nicest animals. A Corvette is a great car. But Corvettes are high risk for theft. Pi bulls are high risk for attacking.

We cannot blame the Vette for being desirable and higher cost to insure, nor can we blame the pit for having the reputation of being aggressive---

But reputation does precede and opinions are based on past precedent.

Most rental properties will refuse pets that have been deemed aggressive. Pit bulls are not the only ones banned from most rental properties.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:57 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
It's not rocket science. Most people that own these dogs see them as some sort of trophy that makes the owner a "bad ass", for lack of better terminology. That is the world we live in, unfortunately.

Very glad to see the restrictions on this breed are becoming more pervasive. They especially should not be allowed in apartment complexes, with such close proximity to neighbors. At the very least, anyone who owns a PB should have to have them constantly secured in a fenced area. If you can't afford to rent or own a home where you can keep these dogs away from others, then you shouldn't be allowed to own them.

I'm not a dog person to begin with, but the pit bull breed should be exterminated altogether, IMO. One more person (especially a child) being injured or killed by those horrible animals is one too many. They are nothing but disaster waiting to occur.

That is absolutely untrue. They are excellent dogs, especially wonderful with children. Helen KELLER's parents had a pit bull for her because they are so good at guarding children and other vulnerable people.

Now, people who use pit bulls to run dogfighting rings? THEY should be exterminated.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:32 AM

95 posts, read 240,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
That is absolutely untrue. They are excellent dogs, especially wonderful with children. Helen KELLER's parents had a pit bull for her because they are so good at guarding children and other vulnerable people.
Of course, they are great at protecting members of their family (i.e. "pack"). I've heard countless times stories of pit bulls attacking strangers, neighbor children, etc. and the owners are completely suprised, because their pit bull is "sweet" and wonderful around their own children.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:56 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
another reason why you would be having a hard time is because pit pulls are banned in a lot of cities of michigan. Before I moved if you already had a pit bull you had to have a 6 ft privacy fence for your backyard and if you walked them outside you had to have them muzzled. You are not allowed to even bring a pit bull into the city now unless you already had it prior to the law passing.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:01 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Most people don't even know what a Pit is.

They see ANY big headed dog that's stout.....man killer.

Wonder how many folks would recognize a doberman without its ears and tail cropped......

Not many...

Ban chihuahuas.

Now those critters are nasty.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:03 AM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomRShine View Post
Of course, they are great at protecting members of their family (i.e. "pack"). I've heard countless times stories of pit bulls attacking strangers, neighbor children, etc. and the owners are completely suprised, because their pit bull is "sweet" and wonderful around their own children.
Countless?

I know several folks in MI and AZ that own Pits.

Not a single incident.

I s'pose the actual number lies somewhere between "countless" and zero.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:05 AM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Pit bulls can be the nicest animals. A Corvette is a great car. But Corvettes are high risk for theft. Pi bulls are high risk for attacking.

We cannot blame the Vette for being desirable and higher cost to insure, nor can we blame the pit for having the reputation of being aggressive---

But reputation does precede and opinions are based on past precedent.

Most rental properties will refuse pets that have been deemed aggressive. Pit bulls are not the only ones banned from most rental properties.
More Hondas are stolen and poodles bite more.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:29 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Ban chihuahuas.

Now those critters are nasty.
Nasty......but fun to punt.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:30 AM

95 posts, read 240,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Countless?

I s'pose the actual number lies somewhere between "countless" and zero.
Just a few examples:

Madras, OR

"...6-year old Jolyssa was "suddenly" attacked by the family pit bull-mix. Detective Tanner Stanfill of the Madras Police Department said, "[The attack] was severe enough to cause numerous stitches the child needed to put her face back together." The dog named Ryder latched onto her left cheek, nearly ripping it off.

The dog's owner, Brandon Grob, says his dog is not violent. He told reporters, "I can't get him to bite me when we play." On November 12th, Grob says the family was folding laundry on the bed, when something happened. "It was just sudden," Grob said. "All of a sudden she screamed, and I looked over and she had her face in the blankets.""

Waynesboro, PA

"The owner of the pit bull that on Thursday attacked a Waynesboro Police officer said Monday he was shocked to hear the news and to learn it was his dog, Siris, that was involved.

"I can't believe it," said Kyle Ditch on Monday. "I still don't know 100 percent what happened."

Ditch, 24, who lives with his grandfather, Leonard Shatzer, at 46 N. Potomac St., said Siris was his first dog and that he had never shown signs of aggression. He kept the 4-year-old brindle male dog in his home and sometimes in the basement.

"He wasn't mean," said his grandfather. "He growled sometimes when people came to the door. That's about all. He was never aggressive."

Allendale, MI

"Craig Lick had taken precautions to ensure his two American pit bull terriers would stay on his property. But the two dogs managed to escape Tuesday afternoon, biting an 18-year-old woman and fatally attacking the dachshund she was walking.

Lick installed a chain-link fence in the back of the ranch-style home on South Cedar Drive. with plenty of room for the dogs to roam. He added an electronic fencing system all around, even though the dogs were not allowed in front of the house.

It seemed he had done everything. But he did not count on his dogs escaping from inside the house by bursting through a front window with an air-conditioning unit.

"Obviously, I didn't," said Lick, 24."

Old 12-19-2012, 08:51 AM

601 posts, read 1,075,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgaerlan View Post
My fiancé and I are pit bull owners, just moved here from CA for a job transfer, and I can't believe how difficult it is to find a place to rent. Even rental houses rejected us. It's really sad that this beautiful breed is being discriminated against. There are more bite victims from golden retrievers, than pit bulls, but there are no ban on those breeds. Really sad.
I truly understand where you coming from. All a dog need is to be loved and some good obedience training. Even though it carries the trait of their Sire and Dam. Im a huge fan of that breed and I have some experience in training Pitbulls, Presas, Corsos, Neos, Malinois, Shepards, Rottweilers, and English Mastiffs all great breeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor