U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 04:06 PM

713 posts, read 3,314,876 times

Advertisements

Like the topic said, have you ever hired an architect to design a house for you? If so, how?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 04:09 PM

23,417 posts, read 34,329,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
Like the topic said, have you ever hired an architect to design a house for you? If so, how?
Dont understand the bolded part? What do you mean, how?

Old 11-04-2010, 04:44 PM

29,493 posts, read 71,251,483 times
Well I asked around to find people that I knew who had hired various architects and got some leads. I also asked some contractors who they thought did a good job. THen I interviewed about 6 architects and told them what I wanted and watched their reaction and saw what ideas they suggested. Then I selected three or four and got references, talk to people who had hired them in the past, and looked at their work. I then asked them each toprice the different options that I was considering. I then chose one of them based on price, ideas, history, understanding of my project and desires, refernces etc.

I then asked them for a contract, review and revised the contract form and signed it and got them to sign it and gave him a check for an initial payment.

By the way, do not cut corners on design. Spend the money up front and get a good and really complete an accurate design. Otherwise, you will spend more than the design costs in change orders and time driven costs. UNless you are just going with a catalogue design, $20,000 for a nice custom home is not unreasonable, possibly more. Also make certian that teh architect will ahve at least some involvement during construciton. You need them to answer questions, inspect the work, and make clarifications or corrections during the preojct. MAke certain that is in their price and in their contract.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:19 PM

What I mean by how is how it sounds, as in how do you hire one. I have been reading a few articles that showed designs for futuristic homes and just know when I have the money saved would want one for myself. Just do not know if I would need a specific one or would any good architect fit the bill. I've seen most made out of all metal so that when painted it gave a metallic shine like a car on the inside so I know such homes would cost a lot more per square foot than wood models. Just like how every room is more of a abstract shape than a square and how its all open.

Also if you have a list of architects to interview, would it be reasonable to have them draw up some concept models before making a choice?

Old 11-04-2010, 07:31 PM

23,417 posts, read 34,329,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
What I mean by how is how it sounds, as in how do you hire one. I have been reading a few articles that showed designs for futuristic homes and just know when I have the money saved would want one for myself. Just do not know if I would need a specific one or would any good architect fit the bill. I've seen most made out of all metal so that when painted it gave a metallic shine like a car on the inside so I know such homes would cost a lot more per square foot than wood models. Just like how every room is more of a abstract shape than a square and how its all open.

Also if you have a list of architects to interview, would it be reasonable to have them draw up some concept models before making a choice?
Ok, I didnt understand what you meant.
For something like the project you are speaking of, a lot of research on your part is going to have to happen.
Also, not sure how an architect would feel, but I would think that there would be some kind of fee involved with concept drawings. After all, that takes time, no one works for free.
If a prospective client wants me to draw up a room, I charge a fee for doing that. Its too easy for people to take intellectual property, trust me!
Not saying that I think you would do that, but I have had it happen to me, I protect myself now.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:15 PM

1,941 posts, read 8,733,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I also asked some contractors who they thought did a good job. . . . .

that is good advice.

we may not always be able to tell you who the best architect is, but we can tell you who the incompetent ones are. which is extremely important, as it will save you money in change orders once you realize how bad of a design choice they made.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:04 PM

Thanks for all the advice. This is a project I plan on doing way into the future when I have at least 300K to devote to it.

I just hate driving down the road and seeing cookie cut homes side by side. I want mine to be unique and have quality's I share.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:06 PM

19,859 posts, read 61,502,356 times
Drive around to get ideas of hosues you like. Then on the weekend, knock on the door and ask if they know who the architect was. Many may not know, but some sure will.

I needed a major remodel and I found a frim that specializes in re-models. I had the plans done and also paid him to supervise construction as I was working and knew little about it. Worth every penny! Also, I have the city-inspected and passed plans if there's ever a question about how anything was done or if it is "to code."

Old 06-05-2012, 03:07 AM

20,993 posts, read 24,896,718 times
I was going to have a house built (a second, getaway home) for me in the southern hills of Tijuana, Mexico about 5 years ago, and being that Tijuana is a city of steep hills, and little flat land, my lot was way up on a hill with a backyard that quickly descended into a cliff. A challenging site for sure!

So I had Arquimex design me a house, and being that everything is mostly built with concrete in Latin America/Mexico, and given the flexibility of concrete, I opted for a pill-box designed house, two sides of the house all curved, even the roof was concrete so I could have a rooftop deck with a view to the Pacific Ocean. It cost me almost $3k in design work.

It was designed to be earthquake proof, and designed so it wouldn't slide down the cliff with a potential mudslide, with deep footings.

It never got built, because the original estimate of $35k to build it, balooned to $75k, and not being able to surpervise its construction, I was warned, that halfway thru construction, they might ask me for another $5-10-15k to finish it. So I bowed out!

Last edited by tijlover; 06-05-2012 at 03:08 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 06-05-2012, 03:35 AM

11,543 posts, read 28,031,731 times
A house is more than a drawing on a piece of paper; you can "draw to scale" yourself. Curved walls cost more than a straight wall. It is easier to build on a level lot than it is to build on a cliff. Building is all about math, engineering and the current cost of supply and demand that can change daily. Every county engineer in the United States has a PLAT of the county; he/she knows the county well and can tell you where you can build and the difficulty of getting utilities to your new house. Not all locations are easy to build on or advisable.

Buying a lot does not mean it will pass a Perk test. If it does not pass the test, you may not ever be able to build anything on the lot but a garage or storage building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum