U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 10:01 AM

4 posts, read 11,052 times

Advertisements

I am interested in shifting my work focus to designing and building custom single family modern homes in rural or small town areas- any part of the country. Currently I am a licensed Architect in NYC, working on high end residences (ground up and interior architecture) and would love to break into the single family custom home market and explore more creative use of space, site, and materials. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to find potential clients who need this service?
Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 05:02 PM

5 posts, read 7,694 times
Looks like you're off to a start. Do you have any of your worked featured online? Start a blog about your type of architecture or contribute to someone else's. Eventually people will start coming to you as the expert. We are always looking at home designers, especially modern homes, but many architects in this genre are too pricey and personally turns me off. Good luck.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:25 PM

15,739 posts, read 11,492,212 times
Good luck.
Personally, I'd prefer that the building industry move toward autonomous houses / buildings. But that's not going to happen.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:09 PM

46 posts, read 109,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbayma View Post
Looks like you're off to a start. Do you have any of your worked featured online? Start a blog about your type of architecture or contribute to someone else's. Eventually people will start coming to you as the expert. We are always looking at home designers, especially modern homes, but many architects in this genre are too pricey and personally turns me off. Good luck.
I agree with cbayma - place some of your work online and provide a link. Just remember your not dealing with a NYC price structure. I currently own 40 arces in north central Kentucky and in the future I would love to build a modernist single family "outside of the box" home using as much salvaged materials as possible.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:33 PM

20,733 posts, read 62,011,884 times
The money will be in the upcoming vacation destination spots. Stowe and Warren Vermont used to be hotspots. I considered apprenticing for the major architect in Warren at one time. You obviously have to build a community presence and be familiar with local practices, suppliers, and contractors. A nationwide search doesn't sound particularly practical to me. What school did you graduate from?

FWIW, I can see northeast Alabama along Lookout Mountain south of Chattanooga as a potential hot area in the next few years. I know the signs.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:25 AM

16,414 posts, read 29,277,413 times
When I wanted an architect for a small (less than 1300 sq.ft.) contemporary house with specific restrictions as to footprint, etc., I contacted the Boston Arch. Center for a professional organization or listing, and contacted a few architects who sounded promising for small and contemporary design.
I did retain one who, I realize now, was either very depressed or just not very functional. I met him in his own contemporary house, looked at his portfolio, and signed an agreement. He came up with nothing (and forgot his own paperwork when he came to see the site, then misspelled my name on the forms). He took $1500 as a retainer and kept not coming up with anything, and I had nothing to take to the permitting board, which was notoriously stubbornly averse to granting anything.
I ended up severing our agreement, and read what I has signed- "if the agreement is severed, any monies belong to the architect, and any plans/work done belong to the client."
An expensive mistake.
I ended up with a plan from an artist from another state. He made a wonderful cardboard model for $5,000, a local architect executed the plans from the model (and kept the model, claiming he'd lost it) and he cost about $2K. He also forgot the framing specs, so I had to go back for them. Etc.
My house is stunning and totally unique, but I wouldn't recommend my methods at all! Now I realize there are plenty of plans on the internet that could be tweaked by an architect or even the GC, but I didn't have enough bandwidth then to realize this.
Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum