U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 04:01 PM

15,368 posts, read 57,541,353 times

Advertisements

Stand firm and pay nothing. Why?
You're unsatisfied with the work that was performed. Paying for any of it opening a dialogue that could be misconstrued and lead to legal issues.
Paying nothing (with no contract of services) stops him in his tracks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 05:59 PM

4,281 posts, read 11,739,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You're unsatisfied with the work that was performed. Paying for any of it opening a dialogue that could be misconstrued and lead to legal issues.
This is much more sound advice them some have offered.

1. Ignore the bill.

2. If he persists have someone with a detchament (no interest, more a professional observation then a personal one like not your taste, etc.) send a letter saying why nothing will be paid like no contract, nothing usable delivered, time frame, etc. but to repeat, nothing personal like not my taste, no money, old, disabled, etc.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:34 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,022,474 times
Quote:
Needs an attic space converted to a bedroom. Met an architect who had a lot of good ideas about the space and seemed to know what he was talking about. He shared his fees with me and they seemed reasonable.
Unless you are royally changing your house, just turning an attic space into a bedroom doesn't really require a dedicated architect. Any competent remodelling company should be able to work through plans with you as part of the building process for less money.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:17 PM

9,320 posts, read 17,599,082 times
You did not sign any agreement with him and if this were in CA he would be in violation of the Architectural Practice Act and face a fine, suspension of his license or worse. Is he even licensed? Some draftspeople portray themselves to be licensed or registered architects, when in fact they are not.
I would look at your state laws. Best of luck

Old 06-13-2012, 08:04 PM

2,209 posts, read 3,897,020 times
This was back in January, wondered what happened since.

And to throw in my two cents, there are professions that give free quotes, free inspections, free consultations, my thinking is that you do not owe him anything if all he did was a crayon drawing of "plans". Even if he did his "work", he didn't do it correctly as has been pointed out by others that it was off. Should you have to pay amazon if they delivered you the wrong item? Although I must say, you should have looked at his portfolio and checked up on his previous projects, due diligence and all.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:51 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,714,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I don't think this is correct. True, there is no contract but the guy was engaged to do work, so there is an implicit agreement (he would just have to show that he got direction from the OP). So the OP should pay up to the point where he became unsatisfied with the work, and this dissatisfaction was made clear to the architect. If there is no clear demarcation point then the OP should assume one and let the architect dispute it if he wants.
This is small $$ so it makes no sense for the architect or OP to hire an attorny over it, but it could be addressed with the local magistrate , who will likely find some compromise similar to what I have suggested.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:46 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,242,269 times
I don't know why everybody thinks that if there is no contract than you don't have to pay. That is not necessarily true. It could have been a time and materials verbal agreement with no total price or estimate. You can't say you never hired him and that you don't know who he is and where he got those measurements. Not liking his drawings or taste is not reason to not pay even though I feel for you. With that said, the best and most reliable advice would be to consult with a lawyer since all states have different laws and most people here are from different states. Sometimes its better to pay and move on than continue dwelling on the subject, talking or writing to the Architect, and becoming even more aggravated.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:48 PM

29,397 posts, read 20,097,293 times
I have a hunch he wasn't an actual architect. You should check his license which should be registered at the state level. If he passes himself off as one, then he has committed fraud.

An architect has to have a professional degree and some sort of licensure to legally practice in the state he or she is practicing in. If the guy has no licensure, he might want to drop his claim.

It isn't enough to say, "Just don't pay the bum." You need to be able to get rid or this nuisance permanently. He could conceivably take you to small claims court for the fee. Save all paperwork for your defense. You might also have to seek counsel to know to best meet his argument in small claims court. Your best defense is probably a good offense, I think.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:14 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,242,269 times
Keep in mind that you don't have to be a licensed Architect in many states to provide design consultations and drawings. He could very well call himself a home designer and practice as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum