Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:13 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times

Advertisements

My least favorite buildings of all are those that ape a real style poorly and/or are poorly executed, but that's a subjet for another thread...

So what real architectural style do you dislike, least like or even passionately hate?

I am not a fan of Frank Gehry-ish deconstructionist style buildings. Call me old fashioned, but I think a building should look like a building instead of a pile of spray-painted scrap metal. They must be complete nightmares to maintain too.

I also dislike Brutalist architecture... they evoke feelings of oppression and domination in me and simply make me uncomfortable.

If I had to pick a historic style I would have to say the more "frilly" Old World styles like Baroque... especially the insanely fussy stuff built in France during the 16-1700s like Versailles. Sure it's beautiful and impressive to look at, but it also makes me uncomfortable somewhere deep down in my psyche. Maybe it's a past-life thing...

How about you?

Last edited by Chango; 06-25-2012 at 09:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 10:37 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
I agree with you on brutalist architecture. While there are a few brutalist buildings I don't mind, most of them I find ugly.

I somewhat agree with you about baroque. I like the early stuff, (for example: San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) but the later stuff, and rococo are definitely among my least favorite styles of architecture.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:58 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,869,127 times
Almost any 'classical' from the Romans onwards (Byzantine is an exception) because of it's fakery.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:29 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,949,948 times
I'll go with the Gehry-esque "deconstructivist" style because it seems concerned not with its context or the nature of what it is made of, but rather in getting attention, like a neglected adolescent making animal noises in the back of the classroom.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Postconstructivism and Stalinist.

The Soviet Communists built a bunch of butt ugly, obnoxious buildings.

Don't get me started on their public "art" during that period.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:32 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Brutalist
Modernist - A rather vague term I know but most buildings which to me either look like they are just trying too hard to be "pared down" or modernist houses which look more like upscale dentists than homes. I like craftsmanship and details on a building. Some modernist buildings are stunning , most make me shudder and feel too clinical for me.

Baroque
Rococco

And yet I adore places like Prague which have a wealth of the latter two styles for example so I am not always consistent. It works as an ensemble I suppose but taken on its own single merit it makes me shudder with the bling factor. At least I can admire the skills which has gone into it I suppose without always finding it esthetically pleasing....

Old 06-26-2012, 07:00 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times
Postmodern architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Like post-modern art, which I also dislike as being talentless, post-modern architecture doesn't require much skill since it has few or no "rules" or restraints which the more talented are able to create within the context. With post-modern architecture nothing (ie. nature, symetry, functional practicality, etc.) can be totally disregarded and the most simple shapes can be used. What's the challenge or creativity in that?

Old 06-26-2012, 10:33 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,949,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
Postmodern architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Like post-modern art, which I also dislike as being talentless, post-modern architecture doesn't require much skill since it has few or no "rules" or restraints which the more talented are able to create within the context. With post-modern architecture nothing (ie. nature, symetry, functional practicality, etc.) can be totally disregarded and the most simple shapes can be used. What's the challenge or creativity in that?
I have to take exception to part of what you said. There are more "rules" in post modern work than the alternative (modern) in that post modernism was concerned with context, classical proportions, symmetry, and established forms. I do agree that that makes for less of a challenge than designing with a blank slate, but truthfully, any architect that can get his vision built, no matter what it is, has my respect.
What post modernism was often criticized for was its devotion to historical forms without the technical relationship to those forms. In other words, the forms were an expression of something unrelated to the construction.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:27 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
I personally hate post-modern architecture because it turned its back on all the theories of modernism instead of taking that way of thinking and expanding on it and trying to correct the mistakes that were made in modernism, instead post-modernism created is own collection of problems without addressing the mistakes of modernism.

I am also not a fan of deconstructivism that guys like Gehry and Libeskind do, I feel like they completely ignore the user's interaction with the architecture and more about the "step back and look" aspect. I remember walking around a building in SF by Libeskind that had so many awkward spaces that would of gotten me chewed out in studio if I designed something like that. It annoys me when their garbage gets showcased when there is so much better architecture being built out there today.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:51 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
There are brutalist buildings in downtown Boston. They look like a backdrop for George Orwell's "1984." The interiors are also bizarrely designed to make them useless as working buildings.
There was a brutalist building on the grounds of the genteel old buildings place where I work. It was deeply ugly by itself, but especially so surrounded by graceful appropriate buildings from the late 19th century. It was supposed to be a center for autistic children. It would drive anyone nuts.
Once there was a bomb threat phoned in "for midnight at the front door." We stood at a large glass area debating what area constituted the front door. I suggested that, if there was going to be a bomb, we were in a great place, because the whole building felt like a bunker anyway.
Midnight came and went. We never figured out where the front was. People who worked there for years couldn't identify a proper enterance for visitors.
Thankfully, it was torn down when that part of the property was sold off for condos, which, by the way, are quite graceful in the setting.
At first, I thought it was a joke to say that "Brutalism" was actually a school of design- I thought it was just lousy ugly concrete modern buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum