Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 10:42 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionallyBlank View Post
I live in a 1910 house designed by Atlee B. Ayres. I love just about every square inch of this house, but the main staircase makes my heart race.
That staircase is one of the most beautifully designed as I have ever seen- stunning! You are lucky to live in such a beautiful house with details like that, and even more so to truly appreciate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 08:50 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,238 times
Cool thread, love that staircase!

We moved into our dream house last year just about this time, so i must say there are lots of features we love about our house, but the three i like the most are the

Yard/Landscaping/Privacy

The fireplace hearth which we just had a wood stove installed.

And the colonial style architecture

Old 07-24-2012, 12:02 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
^^^
Real nice- love the trellis and the great barn red color. It's funny, I'm not at all a fan of the ubiquitous builder colonials of the east coast (two story boxes), but properly proportioned and classically, simply detailed Capes or Georgians like yours are wonderful.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:17 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
^^^
Real nice- love the trellis and the great barn red color. It's funny, I'm not at all a fan of the ubiquitous builder colonials of the east coast (two story boxes), but properly proportioned and classically, simply detailed Capes or Georgians like yours are wonderful.
Thanks, I also am not a huge fan of colonials, but there is something about a cape that I am in love with, probably the fact that I grew up in one.

There is also an oversized detached garage styled like a barn on the property which really was the main selling point for me
Attached Thumbnails
What's Special About Your Home?-copy-img_20110624_172743.jpg  

Old 07-25-2012, 08:40 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,799,103 times
Nice garage.
I have murals. That's it. We built our house, and my husband said I could build whatever I wanted as long as it was colonial, a square or rectangle and had no bay windows or fancy woodwork. The family joke is that good old dad would be happy in the back of a cave.
I made my home special by painting murals, employing colors well and establishing a garden.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Sometimes houses designed to be painted are unsuitable for stripping. IN one houe we stripped a staircase just to find the wood was not suitable for staining. It was meant to be painted. Not to mention Calcimine paint (or however you spell it) cannot be fully removed if the wood was not varnished first. The paint sinks into and colors the grain.

Those two houses from earlier are stunning.

Our house is too old to have neat fatures like that. It was an 1836 pioneer farm house and added on to in 1850 and 1868. It is hard to tell what was put in when.

The neatest feautre to me is the history. It was used to trade sugar, flour, gunpowder and manufactured goods from the east with Indians for furs, pottery, and the like. It was the first postmaster house in our area, so I guess you could call it the post office (no post office back then). It was used as a blind pig during prohibition.

Probably the next neatest thing is the framing in the old part of the house It is brace framed using beams roughly 12" x 12" THey vary in size and you cna see the axe marks in them from final shaping. The whole thing is pegged together with wooden pegs.

The other thing that is neat is the warren of hallways, doors and porches resulting fomr the varios additions over the years. There are 8 exterior doors, about 90' of frint/side porch, two stairways. . . When our kids were little, it was perfect for crazy chase games, nerf gun battles, hide and seek and the like. You can go up one stair down anohter, out a side door onto the porch and around to the front door. All of the rooms connect, every room leads to some other room. THe basement also has an old fashioned exterior stairway and a later added interior stairway, so you cna go down the basmenet stairs and come back up outside and then in through another door.

Most of the neat features were added when we restored the house (secret room int he kitchen, hand crafted tile on the fireplace, etc.

I will try to figure out how to post some photos later. However we have nothing as ornate as the pictures above. Still it is pretty neat.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:06 PM

309 posts, read 427,793 times
Quote:
I live in a 1910 house designed by Atlee B. Ayres. I love just about every square inch of this house, but the main staircase makes my heart race.
Oh my gosh, I LOVE this! Gorgeous!

Old 07-30-2012, 12:24 PM

309 posts, read 427,793 times
Coldjensens, your house sounds really interesting. It would be so much fun to go through and see a house with so much history and how nice you own it!

Old 08-21-2012, 10:43 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
A backlit onyx countertop that I designed in my half bath.
Very nice. I haven't seen anything like it before.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:44 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,040 times
Quote:
I agree. The spindles really make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum