Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:28 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,673,531 times

Advertisements

'Post Americana' would be my choice. The piles of poorly built homes in the NW are fine examples of the new design efforts wherein the low end architects and designers are getting in their licks to show how individualistic and unique they are. The old comic book renderings showing a cartoonists prediction of a future city's design comes to mind when I hear of any artist/designer howling about the need for 'something different'. Well' now we have "different", right in our faces instead of in a comic book. I hope the new generation of designers feel they have left their mark, right after the art community congratulatory ceremonies we can begin the demolition and build homes and commercial structures that suggest a return to sane design and quality building standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 11:38 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
'Post Americana' would be my choice. The piles of poorly built homes in the NW are fine examples of the new design efforts wherein the low end architects and designers are getting in their licks to show how individualistic and unique they are. The old comic book renderings showing a cartoonists prediction of a future city's design comes to mind when I hear of any artist/designer howling about the need for 'something different'. Well' now we have "different", right in our faces instead of in a comic book. I hope the new generation of designers feel they have left their mark, right after the art community congratulatory ceremonies we can begin the demolition and build homes and commercial structures that suggest a return to sane design and quality building standards.
*Stands up and begins a slow clap.*

Old 04-28-2013, 12:20 AM

207 posts, read 432,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
I bell we'll see more new urban row homes (that actually look good)
I recognize those being in Potomac, MD. They look great on the outside, but have zero architectural details on the inside.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:24 AM

207 posts, read 432,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Where I am, almost all new houses (high/ higher end) tend to look like these:
Recent Portfolio | Custom Home Builders Pa | Home Builders
Those "architectural composition shingles" look so harsh and out of place on that "European inspired" home on that website. People actually think those are a suitable substitute for a shake roof, yuck.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
If you were to put names to the most attractive cutting edge styles of residential architecture being constructed this past decade, what would those names be? Someone on another thread suggested that today's architects and designers should not try to replicate older styles, but create new styles that are appealing, carefully rendered, and use modern materials wisely. I'm guessing that true "revival"styles could be acceptable. How will we be describing today's designs 20, 50 years from now?
For mainstream subdivision or "catalog" house plans, I'd say the dominant theme is the cottage look. I do see a NW variant of this here in the PNW, but overall houses seem to want to emulate cottages, but bigger than a true cottage would have been. Obviously, there are homes being custom built that emulate other styles, or a hideous amalgamation of styles, but for the ordinary home buyer, the look seems to be cottage.
At least in my observation.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:19 PM

23,217 posts, read 29,026,930 times
There are so many horrid-looking modern houses built in Las Vegas, I wouldn't even bother to upload pictures of any of them. Thank God I never have to venture out of the inner city to be exposed to all that ugliness, a sure way of making myself get sick and vomit!

Stucco ad nauseum. And, the layer of stucco is so thin you can peel it off with your fingers!

I'm in the inner city, where they were still building houses with cinder block/concrete, and lots of homes with some individuality.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:17 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,093,260 times
In my parents' suburb, the stucco and stone chateaux are starting to lose traction for new custom homes and be replaced by what I guess you could call cottage style homes with wood siding and sometimes wood shingles too.

From MLS.ca
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum