U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 10:19 AM

377 posts, read 537,224 times

Advertisements

This is part of my stress right now. I live in a 3-level building alone with a dog on the third level. There are two exits. The balcony and the front door which is on a catwalk. Right outside my door is the entrance to the attic above me. This is in supposedly a secured gated community. Any one can get into the attic above me. I've been really stressed out by this because having lived in single family homes I've always had access to the attics above me. There always was a ladder attached to get into the attic. The Housing Code in Montgomery County MD clearly states that it applies only to tenants of multiresidential buildings owned by landlords. So privately all secured communities in Montgomery County can have "hidden" public accesses to the community.

Well, there came a wind which uncovered my attic. What to do. I decided to put a ladder under the opening so every one can get into my attic. This certainly can help cops and firemen. I can't attach a collapsible ladder because it doesn't belong to me. It belongs to the Board of Directors that controls my particular Common Property organization called a "Mutual". Being properly educated about the "under ground railroad" during Black History Month and , very sadly, the Diary of Anne Frank, well, I think my stress is well earned.

Because I always have to pass under the opening to my attic, I've noticed something "green". First of all I have to explain that my condo is self-contained climate. The A/C is in a closet on the balcony. The heating is electric fins. The vents exhaust at the same place the attic opening is: right outside my front door. So I've got a closed system. What I've noticed in this extremely hot year, is that there's lots of heat coming out of the attic. New roofs recently.

So now I wonder if all attics should be closed in the first place. Perhaps attics should have grates instead of solid closings (still locked) and collapsible ladders, even in single family homes.

Wonder what the cops and firemen think of this. Also wonder if this would help alleviate electromagnetic hissing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum