Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 12:40 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
My Craftsman style kitchen has butcher block looking counter tops. Not exciting but looks ok and I am like you, I like my colors to come from my collected bowls and pottery ware. I like a cream/white kitchen, or a salt crock type off white/beige That goes so well with the primary colors a jewel tones of your preferred 40's - 60's art deco...turquoise, that weird yellow....I also like the look of the copper back splash...pretty affordable using the new "old" looking copper ceiling tiles....or the mini glass tiles for back splash. My back splash and walls are tongue and groove...I live with it because honestly we always seem to have somewhere else we need to use our money...I don't mind, it is a genuine old material
I'd live w/ the ones you have if they aren't broken and get a feel for what you want, that way you really know and only do it once. Painting and refreshing the walls is a good start. I would use shutters on the bottom of your window...I have those and you can find them at second hand or garage sales very cheaply. I use a very interesting valance for the top. Mine happens to be some 40's looking floral material in colors similar to some other pieces I have. It is always fun setting up a new home...Enjoy

This sounds so nice! Is there any way that you can post a picture? I like the idea of shutters. The funny thing is the house has them in the bedroom that will be my son's.

I LOVE tongue and groove anything and it grieves my heart that so many people tear it out or paint it white.

The old cabinets are FINE and they have COPPER PULLS. Not ripping them out they are serviceable and
sturdy. And I don't mind either. I also have a great 1950s copper and that "weird yellow" canister set - a thrift store find. The back splash is also that weird yellow. It's Formica. The other part of the kitchen has white subway tiles.

Is there a place to buy shutters online? They would look good on half the window with an interesting valance that I can change every once in a while.

I love your ideas and I hope you will post pictures!

Sheena12
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 01:28 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Sheena...I don't have pics, so I won't be able to post on here, at least not right now....I'll have to figure that out. But, I would suggest the shutters I have run across many times are at garage sales, or if you are in an area large enough to have those resale home stores where people buy used architecture pieces I'd try there for shutters. Or a Menard's...Home Depot type store. You want real wood. And, use the ones in your son's room...get him drapes. Just need the right width, and if your window are the same size go for it.
See I think your canister set is perfect period piece. Use your salt crock type bowls, or whatever odds and ends please your eye. I have a couple of glass door cabinets...so I put odds and ends in those...my tongue and groove is some sort of old paneling...but I can live w/ it...I have no idea if the walls are decent under there...this is a very old house, and I'm not risking pulling things off the walls. LOL
On my walls I use whatever odd little hangings I like. Right now I have a little plate that has prisms dangling from one edge, looks hand painted...I sort of go for quirky things. Love the old timey but functional things. I like a nice large throw rug in my kitchen...Mine is because I have some funky looking fake wood floors over real wood floors...We are hoping to redo the kitchen next summer, new dishwasher, repaint cabinets etc. Your copper pulls are awesome...people are spending a fortune replacing the others for copper....mine are some fake looking shiny gold...but the styles are right so they are staying...Money and time you know. Anyway...I've always been a little different in my decor sort of bohemian..yet traditional if you get my meaning.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:26 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Sheena...I don't have pics, so I won't be able to post on here, at least not right now....I'll have to figure that out. But, I would suggest the shutters I have run across many times are at garage sales, or if you are in an area large enough to have those resale home stores where people buy used architecture pieces I'd try there for shutters. Or a Menard's...Home Depot type store. You want real wood. And, use the ones in your son's room...get him drapes. Just need the right width, and if your window are the same size go for it.
See I think your canister set is perfect period piece. Use your salt crock type bowls, or whatever odds and ends please your eye. I have a couple of glass door cabinets...so I put odds and ends in those...my tongue and groove is some sort of old paneling...but I can live w/ it...I have no idea if the walls are decent under there...this is a very old house, and I'm not risking pulling things off the walls. LOL
On my walls I use whatever odd little hangings I like. Right now I have a little plate that has prisms dangling from one edge, looks hand painted...I sort of go for quirky things. Love the old timey but functional things. I like a nice large throw rug in my kitchen...Mine is because I have some funky looking fake wood floors over real wood floors...We are hoping to redo the kitchen next summer, new dishwasher, repaint cabinets etc. Your copper pulls are awesome...people are spending a fortune replacing the others for copper....mine are some fake looking shiny gold...but the styles are right so they are staying...Money and time you know. Anyway...I've always been a little different in my decor sort of bohemian..yet traditional if you get my meaning.

I am too.I can't be ultra serious about it. It's always a little funky

I was thinking about every thing that you wrote. I HAVE an old house. Part of it's history was that the original kitchen, which I am guessing was pretty bare bones - a white farm house sink, a free standing stove, a white refrigerator and linoleum floors.

I imagine that the floors would have been covered with the linoleum that I've found in pristine condition in the walk in closets and in the eves. Some of it is floral, and some is kitcheny - sort of Art Deco ish - grey speckled background with a blue geometric line design around the edges.
I imagine that the scraps from the Kitchen were used to line the closets and eaves.

As far a the cabinets go, they are homey and sturdy. No they are not original. Sometime after World War II, the home owner wanted cabinets a counter top and a dishwasher.
I want these things too!

My kitchen can not be a museum - it actually needs to be functional. So like the 50s housewife who installed the maple cabs with the copper pulls and that oh-so-modern Formica backsplash, I need a bit more than the 1926 housewife - or cook, for whom the kitchen was originally designed.

Why spend money to buy some imitation "Craftsman" cabinets - a designers interpretation of Craftsman - when I HAVE a kitchen that is organic to the house?
I have noticed that many craftsman homes that were left relatively untouched have one up grade - a post war kitchen. Because that era was really the beginning of the functional kitchen as we know it.

I am also fortunate that there is a very generous pantry - so additional cabinets are not needed. There is also an original built in spice rack! All done in very shiny dark oak.

Decided to keep the cabinets and replace the counter top - which is a generic 80s white or almond.
I want to explore the idea of butcher block. I'm also thinking of laminate with aluminum trim, which wan most likely what was there when the kitchen was first renovated.

I think keeping this kitchen which is organic to the house, and not attempting some pseudo arts and crafts renovation it the right thing to do. I don't need more space. I'd just be ripping out the kitchen because it seems these days that's what people do when they buy old houses these days.

Also, I don't think it's inconsistent to blend 1920s 30s 40s and 50s style. It's normal.

And the difference between the renovation that was done on my house in around oh...1956 or so, is back then they did not gut the whole kitchen, tear out the subway tiles - which must have looked dated to them then, and they didn't rip out the 1920s spice rack or change the door of the pantry to something more "modern".

Renovations then were some how less ruthless and more inclusive. I like that.

Last edited by sheena12; 10-27-2012 at 03:37 PM..

Old 02-12-2019, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Kitchens in even the absolute highest style bungalow / craftsmen era home done by masters like Greene & Greene were VERY plain. White was common, and frankly the room more likely to have nicer cabinetry would have been the parlor or dinning room.

Of course that was a century ago. We don't use "lead white" paint for anything, windows are no longer a single layer of glazing and we use things like forced air gas furnaces that are 97% + efficient...

It is more than appropriate to use colors from the palettes of the beautifully hued nature themes that continue to makes craftsmen / arts & crafts homes so appealing.

btw The single biggest reason I really would discourage any one with a craftsmen style home to tile over a counter is becuase the more appropriate place for tile in a craftsmen kitchen is the BACKSPLASH -- the OP certainly could do a very appropriate and attractive DIY project with a field of inexpensive plain tile and one or two lovely accent / medalion tiles that would a really quick way to increase charm of an otherwise bland space.
I am in the middle of a 1917 craftsman bungalow restoration and I will be putting honed black granite in the kitchen because soapstone is not practical for our lifestyle. Would you recommend a 4 inch granite backsplash with some beautiful subway tile above it? Many people are going with countertops with no countertop backsplash and placing tile down to the countertops. This does not look historically correct. Help!! What are some opinions??

Old 02-13-2019, 02:53 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylannPennsylvania View Post
I am in the middle of a 1917 craftsman bungalow restoration and I will be putting honed black granite in the kitchen because soapstone is not practical for our lifestyle. Would you recommend a 4 inch granite backsplash with some beautiful subway tile above it? Many people are going with countertops with no countertop backsplash and placing tile down to the countertops. This does not look historically correct. Help!! What are some opinions??
I am wondering why you think soapstone is not practical for your lifestyle? We have soapstone and love it. It really doesn’t require much in the way of maintenance and looks great. Unlike granite we don’t have to worry about stains from spilt drinks or foods. I will say that if you drop something on it run something rough across it there may be a scratch or nick but those are easily taken care of and I love the worn look. I think it looks more warm. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum