Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 10:48 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,754,126 times

Advertisements

Okay, so, a bit of a random question, but I was watching House of Cards today, and noticed that the Oval Office (in the White House) doesn't have traditional doors. This is something I've noticed before in other reproductions, and I've always wondered why. Presumably, the rest of the White House has standard wood framed doors (I'll admit to have never having visited), but the doors in the Oval Office look like sections of a curved wall that have hinges and door handles added. It just seems strange that the office of the most powerful person in world doesn't have a traditional grand entrance. It's almost like you're supposed to sneak into (or out of) the room. Does anybody have any architectural or historical context as to why this is? I know it's a random question, but it kinda bugs me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 08:06 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,487,651 times
Without looking it up, I always assumed it was because the floor plan around the Oval Office changed, causing a need for a new door opening, in a less than optimal part of the room. Or, now that I think about it, maybe the floor plan around the Oval Office didn't change, but the door is still in a poor location, and would be jarring to the design, if it was a standard door.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:44 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Cuz it's oval...

Old 02-09-2013, 01:28 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
I think this was conscience decision to confuse someone unfamiliar with the building. I remember hearing that in a documentary on the White House years ago. People are shown into the office and because the doors are nothing special, have no idea which one to use when they leave. They have to be shown out as well. Jay

Old 02-10-2013, 01:34 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times
The oval office has four doors. The one leading outside is normal, as is the one leading to the dining room. The little ones lead to the secretary's office and the main hall. The reason for this is most likely that the dining room was originally used for the President's secretary, so that was probably where visitors originally entered.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:27 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,697,247 times
Good question. Before the Oval Office was built, there was another Oval Office that had actual doors where the current "hidden" doors are located. West Wing pre-1934 For some reason, they switched. I suspect that maybe someone didn't like the look of having so many doors in the room. Just a guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum